How do I switch between running virtual machines?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by ConnorM, Apr 17, 2013.

1. ConnorM

ConnorM Bit poster

I have Windows 8 in one machine and Ubuntu linux in another. In all other applications pressing Command + ~ or Command + ` whatever you want to call it, the key above tab, will cycle through the application windows. In Parallels when I do that nothing happens it stays in the one virtual machine. I have Parallel Tools installed as well.

In the settings under Application Shortcuts it has the default "Switch Windows" set as Command + ` but pressing that just doesn't do anything. Using mission control with a hot corner to show application windows works. Is this not possible or am I missing something? Can't seem to figure this out and find it annoying since Linux I run in a small window and Windows 8 fills most my screen so I can't just easily click between the two.

2. jasimon9

jasimon9 Member

I am having a similar or same problem with inability to switch between VMs. By "switch" what I mean is that while running in Coherence with Crystal, I use the Parallels dock icon to access the Start Menu of Windows. There seems to be a "foreground" VM and the Start Menu only shows for that machine. In the Menu Bar icon and Application Menu > Windows menu the "foreground" VM has a check mark.

There seems to be many ways to do this, but none of them work consistently in Coherence with Crystal. Here are ways the on an occasion will work, but most of the time don't:

1. Use the context menu on the Parallels dock icon to select a different VM
    2. Use the Parallels Menu Bar icon to select a different VM
    3. Use the Application Menu > Window to select a different VM

I have clicked dozens of times and get the proverbial "nothing happens". That is, the Start Menu continues to show for the foreground VM and the check marks do not change. The non-foreground VMs remain inaccessible.

Sometimes, just clicking in any of these three places will switch. But it is very frustrating and unreliable. The workaround is to exit Coherence. I would almost think that it could be a "feature" that once in Coherence, you can only access the foreground VM.

I have done some additional testing and it seems that taking the VMs out of Crystal mode might be enough to restore the ability to switch between VMs while remaining in Coherence. I have usually always been using Crystal, so I don't have a lot of confirmation yet whether this is a real workaround, or just random at this point.

Would be nice if this behavior was documented somewhere, but I can't find it.

Last edited: May 8, 2013