Graphics accel and blizzard games, S.S. (Cont'd)

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by cdoublejj, Jun 4, 2013.

1. cdoublejj

cdoublejj Member

The only problem is it's not just SC1 i was only using it as an example, I want to be prepared for any app or game I might run in to, weather it by my own or someone seeking my advice/services (like tech support and repairhelp i bought a new mac and these custom programed commercial apps don't' work. that kind of stuff.).

Sheep shaver i still need to read up on but, i think some stuff on Rosetta is later than OS9 meaning Sheep Shaver may not work, Parallels will but, only when GPU acceleration isn't key, which leaves me out in the dust for some applications that I may have yet to run into.

Can Parallels run OS9? Could it run OS9? Has the Dev team considered it?

EDIT: maybe this might be of help to people? http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/pearpc

2. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Parallels Desktop is a Virtual Machine Application, not an Emulator, this means it runs OSs that are made for the same architecture as the physical machine, in this case, Intel (x86, x64), Mac OS 9 is PPC, so it cannot run in Parallels. That doesn't mean a Guest OS can't run an emulator, like a Snow Leopard Server Guest running Rosetta (which is an emulator/translator).

As for graphic accel. any of these emulators (pearpc, sheep shaver...) lack support for graphic acceleration also.

3. cdoublejj

cdoublejj Member

Okay, so basically the emulators OSX GUEST VMs are all in the same boat, no GPU acceleration. SO I guess the first thing to try out is Pararllels with OSX guest the double side is being able to also VM Windows WITH gpu accel.

4. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

If you have a relatively new machine, the CPU power in it can compensate the lack of hardware acceleration, and give a somewhat similar experience as you would be running PPC apps on a G4.

5. MichaelLAX

MichaelLAX Member

With all the confusion in the other thread, I think you missed my request for more information about StarCraft: when was it released, version number, etc.?

Does this version run on OS X or was it Classic (OS 9 or earlier)?

Would StarCraft II satisfy you? Would either version for PC (run in Bootcamp or emulation) satisfy you?

Last edited: Jun 5, 2013
  6. cdoublejj

cdoublejj Member

Like i said it was only for examples sake. it runs on Rosetta and classic environment. it is PPC. I'm looking for actual app compatibility rather than app alternatives. I guess you could say i'm trying to have my cake and eat it to.

as far as your last question well i can run windows in parallels for that, which i may do and save OSX vm guest for any other app that i may encounter that needs run on in a VM or emulator. SC1 will run in just about any windows version.

I have a Yorkfield (core 2/xeon) based quad core cpu with 12mb of cache so i'll see how that that fairs.

The only real problem is Parallels is only a 14 day trial, so it might lock me out before i'm done testing.

7. MichaelLAX

MichaelLAX Member

Someone recently pointed out to me that The Apple Store sells 4 different versions of Parallels, including a $39 educational version. I do not know if it is stripped down or has other qualifications for ownership. Sometimes Parallels is bundled with other programs for $49, but I am not aware of one bundle currently. Googling can find discounts.

You are just going to have to experiment title by title.

Parallels will not run OS 9 or any other flavor of Mac OS that is PPC; which includes PPC-Tiger. Otherwise an easy solution would be to run the Classic Environment in PPC-Tiger in Parallels.

So:

SheepShaver for PPC up through OS 9.1

Rosetta in Snow Leopard Server in Parallels for PPC OS X

However, some titles may be old OS X PPC that will have problems in Snow Leopard.

I recently gave advice on one such title.

8. cdoublejj

cdoublejj Member

what title required the dual boot?

EDIT: yeah i knew sheep shaver would be for OS 9. Rosetta through SL on Parallels.

We need some kind of open source alternative to Rosetta not unlike wine but, i think it would have to be half emulator and half what ever rosetta is... nothing but pipe dreams.

9. MichaelLAX

MichaelLAX Member

Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb released for OS X 10.2.x and we got it to work on a "dual-boot" Mac OS X Tiger PPC machine (CNET had a patch for this title running in Tiger).

I have a similar setup: my Mac Mini2,1 has a partitioned HD with Snow Leopard on one and Intel-Tiger on the other.

I also was able to get Intel-Tiger to run in VMWare Fusion v2 running in Snow Leopard.

So lots of options; all not great, some may work -- some may not!

Screenshots: Tiger in VMWare Fusion & Leopard in Parallels 8

more screenshots: dual-boot Tiger/Snow Leopard

Open source Rosetta will be near impossible as it requires complex linking to the actual version of OS X to operate. Without Apple cooperation, this will be a non-starter.

10. cdoublejj

cdoublejj Member

would it be possible to straight up run the Tiger VM in VMware fusion in MtLion instead of inside another VM? This particular game needs tiger? does Tiger x86 have rosetta or classic environment?

11. MichaelLAX

MichaelLAX Member

I was only successful in getting Intel-Tiger to run in VMWare Fusion v2, which only works up to Snow Leopard and does not work in Lion (or presumably Mt. Lion).

There is a German blogger who developed the ideas that I used to get Tiger to work in Fusion and he claimed it would work in Fusion 4, which would run in Lion/Mt. Lion.

When I contacted him, he seemed to recall that he had only been successful in v2. So that is when I was able to duplicate his efforts in v2 (I had to purchase a copy of v2 off of eBay and my v4 trial has since expired).

Since then he has password protected his posts here and here.

Intel-Tiger has Rosetta and abandoned the Classic Environment.

12. cdoublejj

cdoublejj Member

so the VM software that supports Tiger only runs in SL which for most of us will run in parallels. also Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb has some good reviews so i may have to actually try it.

13. MichaelLAX

MichaelLAX Member

Make me an offer for Indy. I only recently purchased it on Amazon to test it on Tiger

14. cdoublejj

cdoublejj Member

was it play able through the VM?

15. MichaelLAX

MichaelLAX Member

I think I tried it once and it did not work inside the VMWare Fusion's v2 of Tiger. Remember though v2 will only work up through Snow Leopard and cannot be used on Lion or Mt. Lion even in a SL Parallels emulation.

Someone could probably get Fusion's v4 to update this and allow Tiger to work in v4, but my trial version expired.

16. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Considering the better overall support for Windows than OS X under Parallels (and Fusion, and VBox), if you need to run an OS 9/Classic emulator maybe it runs better on virtualized Windows than virtualized OS X?

17. cdoublejj

cdoublejj Member

OH SNAP!

Does V4 if it could be coaxed in to running Tiger work on MtLion? Then again Specimen makes a good point since Windows has hardware acceleration.

18. cdoublejj

cdoublejj Member

Linux hosts i believe have hack to allow gpu acceleration to the guest the os. if parallels gives gpu acceleration to linux guests....

19. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Linux guests, like Ubuntu, don't need any 'hack', Parallels Tools provides OpenGL acceleration.

20. cdoublejj

cdoublejj Member

No VMware does. i didn't think Parallels ran on linux. if it does does that cost extra or does it run on both mac and linux?