Help with aero, windows 7, parallels 7

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by j_sevamo, Jan 19, 2013.

1. j_sevamo

j_sevamo Bit poster

Hello guys! Well, here is the thing. I installed windows 7 using parallels 7, everything is working perfectly. But, the aero capabilities are not there, and I don't know how to make them work. I understand than since parallels 5 you can use aero, but sadly, I haven't been able to do so. Any way I can activate it?? Thanks guys!

2. kat

kat Product Expert

Hi
    Make sure that you have 3D acceleration selected in virtual machine configuration. (my configuration screen-capture-6.jpg)
    You also need to make sure that you have a Windows Experience Index
    go to Control Panel
    select Performance Information Tools
    If you don't have a Base Score
    select Rate this Computer (this will take a few minuets)

Attached Files:

tt1987 likes this.
  3. j_sevamo

j_sevamo Bit poster

Thanks for the reply! But I'm still having the same problem. When I go to configure, I cannot choose direct x 10, just a check box for "Enable 3D acceleration" and "Enable visual synchronization". They are both checked.

The other problem appears when I try to rate the computer, after a few minutes, it fails and says "The windows experience index for your system could no be computed. Could not measure video playback performance." I don't understand what's going on.

By the way, if it helps, I've got a 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7, 8 GB of ram 1600 MHz DDR3, and two GPUs: Intel HD graphics 4000 and NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M.

If someone could help me address this problem, it would be great!

Thanks again for the replies!

4. kat

kat Product Expert

Please check to make sure that Disable Windows Aero is not checked you should find this under Coherence. (under Virtual Machine then Configure)

Also please check to see if you have the latest version of Parallels 7.

How much Video memory do you have? You can use up to 1 GB of video memory. If you are
    making the change while the vm is on please re-start the vm and then mack the changes in
    Performance Information Tools from the Control Panel.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
    tt1987 likes this.
  5. j_sevamo

j_sevamo Bit poster

There must be something wrong. "Disable Windows Aero" is not checked, and I did put the video memory to 1Gb, but aero still doesn't work. I have parallels up to date.. This has caused me a great deal of frustration. I wonder what's going on..

6. kat

kat Product Expert

You can change your Visual Effects from "Let Windows choose what's best for my computer" to Custom (here you can select the effects you want.)
    go to control panel
    select Performance Information Tools (this is where you rated your computer before)
    left hand side menu select: Adjust visual effects
    A pop-up window will appear select
    Visual Effects from the tab menu at top
    select Custom make sure most everything is checked
    click apply
    restart your vm

Attached Files:

tt1987 likes this.
  7. j_sevamo

j_sevamo Bit poster

I appreciate the time you've taken to help me out, however, when I opened the visual effects window, everything was already checked. I was being hopeful, so I went to custom, unchecked everything and then checked it all again. Restarted the vm, no changes..

8. kat

kat Product Expert

I should have asked this earlier what addition of Windows 7 do you have?

9. j_sevamo

j_sevamo Bit poster

Windows 7 Ultimate

10. kat

kat Product Expert

Please reinstall Parallels tools.

11. j_sevamo

j_sevamo Bit poster

You are a life saver! Turns out, I didn't install parallels tools before. After the install, aero turned on by default. Thank you so much for your patience. What a great product :)

12. Efrain

Efrain Junior Member

How to remove an ubuntu partition while still keeping windows 7 on the hard drive.?

13. thudang

thudang Bit poster

Thanks for the reply!
    I have done so but not right...

14. TieuNgocLan

TieuNgocLan Bit poster

I have the same problem, thanks for "Kat" giving me a good reply. All is right

15. tt1987

tt1987 Bit poster

You can change your Visual Effects from "Let Windows choose what's best for my computer" to Custom (here you can select the effects you want.)
    go to control panel
    select Performance Information Tools (this is where you rated your computer before)
    left hand side menu select: Adjust visual effects
    A pop-up window will appear select
    Visual Effects from the tab menu at top
    select Custom make sure most everything is checked
    click apply
    restart your vm

thank !I had fixed your way