After upgrading to Mavericks, Act Mon says Windows 8 (not responding)

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by JoelRubio, Oct 22, 2013.

1. JoelRubio

JoelRubio Member

Running PD9, Win 8.1 Pro VM, and now just upgraded to Mavericks. I have a 16GB RAM/512GB SSD MBP13 i7 late 2011 model, so plenty of horsepower there.

Anyway, now Activity Monitor says "Windows 8 (not responding)" in red color. When in fact, it's running fine and the fan isn't even running. Mavericks bug? Windows 8 hovering around 44%, but like I said, is running fine, and I even have multiple Exchange Outlook profiles running in Outlook 2013.

Mavericks bug or PD9 bug?

-joel

2. ozsmac

ozsmac Junior Member

I'm getting the same issue, process with name of VM is coming up in red and showing "(Not Responding)". VM is still working, so not sure if this has any impact at all.

I'm also noticing that Google Chrome Helper is also showing the same.

3. Aleksandr

Aleksandr Bit poster

Same to me, works fine, but highlighted.

4. John Podgorelec

John Podgorelec Bit poster

PD8, XP-Pro and just upgraded to Mavericks.
    Same problem "Not Responding" issue.

Further, after a short time VM experienced a critical error and shut down... not sure if related.

5. ChristophGR

ChristophGR Bit poster

Same here, PD9, Win 8.1, Activity Monitor says 'Windows 8 (not responding)'. Win 8 is working. Same issue with Google Chrome Helper.

6. LiangZ

LiangZ Member

7. halcwb

halcwb Junior Member

Windows 7 also has the the not responding problem. Also, the memory consumption is quite substantial.

8. MarcelloS

MarcelloS Bit poster

Same problem here with Windows 7.
    Please solve these problem immediately!!!!
    After using Parallels desktop in the last two years (and spending moneys...) I'm really thinking to give up.

UPDATE: I've submitted a problem report with ID 30213413, but I didn't get any answer after one working day. Very disappointing!!
    @ParallelsCares what are you doing????

Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
  9. soundpassion

soundpassion Bit poster

The same issue for me too.

Mavericks + PD9 + Win7

Last edited: Oct 26, 2013
  10. soundpassion

soundpassion Bit poster

double post, sorry.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
  11. GeraldFi

GeraldFi Junior Member

The same is true with PD8 on Mavericks, running either Win7, Windows Server 2008 or Windows Server 2012

12. GrizzlyAdams

GrizzlyAdams Member

Same issue with PD9 + Mavericks with Linux VMs. I am running two VMs, Ubuntu 13.04 and Mint 15 and both report (not responding) in Activity Monitor so this is not a Windows-specific issue. The VMs seem to be running normally however.

Activity Monitor (All Processes) 2013-10-27 10-28-44.jpg

13. EllwoodN

EllwoodN Hunter

Add me to the list as well. Also, as many others here have pointed out, there is
    no change in in VM operation as well as Mac side of things. No slow downs hangs
    or anything else.

14. KristoferN

KristoferN Bit poster

Same here.

Screen Shot 2013-10-28 at 09.59.50.png

15. CASEYBAY

CASEYBAY Bit poster

Parallels "not responding" even though it seems to be running normally

I have the same issue with Parallels 8- Mavericks- Win8.1

16. abovesociety

abovesociety Bit poster

Same symptom - Late 2013 MBP Retina

17. PerryInNL

PerryInNL Bit poster

I'm running a late model 2012 iMac with Mavericks and Desktop 9. I have Windows 8.1 and Ubuntu Linux 32 installed and running. Activity Monitor is reporting both as "(Not Responding)". CPU wise Linux is using 12.9% and Windows 8.9%.

Another issue, somewhat unrelated, is that I found a bug in the Dock feature of Parallels whereby if I reset the "Open With..." applications using the following command;

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Support/lsregister -kill -r -domain local -domain system -domain user

Then all the Dock entries under Parallels get reset to. This is not Parallels fault as I am correcting another issue. Mac rarely has issues. However in my case I am using an external SSD and have to unmount my internal HDD as it causes everything to slow down intermittently. The thing is that if Parallels could regenerate the Docks applications when I reset it in the Configure option that would be great. Just wanted to point this out. As for the "(Not Responding)" issue, I am sure this is just a hiccup typical of any major OS upgrade.

By the way, I think Parallels Desktop 9 is a fine fine product and well over due. Because of Parallels I can now develop multi platform applications realistically by having each platform running on my system at the same time. I find Parallels to be even better than repartitioning the hard disk. Way way better actually.

Way to go Parallels !!

Perry Anderson
    Unified Objects, Inc.

18. John Crighton

John Crighton Bit poster

Same issue. 2013 MBA, 8GB, PD9, Win7 Enterprise. VM works fine, but Activity Monitor reports the CPU time very high, and shows it as (Not Responding)

19. MarcelloS

MarcelloS Bit poster

No answer from @ParallelsCares.
    Do they have a communication problem?
    They just released a new build, but it seems to me that both the Not Responding and CPU overload problems are still here!!!!
    Now the latest build is 9.0.23140 Update w/ http://t.co/ZjIzAr1LZQ

20. Andrew@Parallels

Andrew@Parallels Parallels Team

Hello MarcelloS,
    We are checking your problem report ID with the development team.

All - please post your problem report ID's here, it will help to find a solution sooner: http://kb.parallels.com/en/9058