Parallels 9 - shortcut not working after upgrade to Mavericks

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by æ —èªŒï¿¼å, Nov 1, 2013.

1. Hello,
    I'm using Parallels to run Windows XP, and my most often using software is Microsoft Visual Studio 2010.
    I was using Mac OS X 10.7.5 and Parallels Desktop 7, and everything works well.

Last month I upgrade my Parallels Desktop 7 to Parallels Desktop 9.
    I found that Ctrl+Space will open the Spotlight in the Mac OS X. (before upgrading to Parallels Desktop 9, the behavior is change language in Windows XP. This is the correct behavior for me)
    I don't remember what I did, but in the end I fixed it.
    Perhaps I changed the 'system shortcuts' setting or something like that.

Last week I upgrade my Mac OS X 10.7.5 to 10.9 Mavericks.
    After I finished the upgrade progress I found that the Ctrl+Space is not working, again.
    I found F9, F10, F11, F12 are not working, too.
    When I press these keys, the Mission Control will response, and the Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 will not response. That is not what I need.
    I tried to change 'system shortcuts' settings but none of these option will work, it seems making no difference.
    I tried to remove Parallels Desktop (move it into trash?), and reinstall it. The problem is still there.

Anyone know why?

By the way, my Parallels Desktop 9 is Chinese version, so I don't know whether the word 'system shortcuts' is the correct translation in English.
    I am sorry for that.
    I'll put a screenshot here to describe what I mean.
    Screenshot at 11月 02 11-05-42.png

Help me please. Thank you.

2. kat

kat Product Expert

If you are trying to change the Language on your xp goto control panel Date,Time,Language and Regional Options>add other language>Languages>

screen-capture-7.jpg

Then make sure that you are using the same key commands in "system shortcuts" for your Windows XP I believe this should change your language issue.

I hope I am reading your question right and that it is the language you wish to change.
    Also are you trying to have Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 open when you use Ctrl+Space?

3. Thank you for your reply.

I'm sorry I didn't make it clear.
    Let me explain again.

What I need is like this: (the default behavior in a "real" PC installing Windows and Visual Studio 2010)
    Ctrl+Space ==> Change Input Language
    F9 ==> Set a Breakpoint (in Visual Studio)
    F10 ==> Debug Step Over (in Visual Studio)
    F11 ==> Debug Step Into (in Visual Studio)

But now it turns to be this: (seems to be a default behavior in Mac OS X)
    Ctrl+Space ==> Search using Spotlight
    F9 ==> Mission Control
    F10 ==> Application Window (Mission Control)
    F11 ==> Show Desktop (Mission Control)

I've also find a thread with a similar question.
    http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?292311-Maverics-and-alt-tab
    But it talks about Alt+Tab. My Alt+Tab seems to work well.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2013
  4. kat

kat Product Expert

The F key are not currently configured for the vm. You will need to configure the F9, F10 and F11 in your vm using the "system shortcuts" select the vm in question>select the + sign a drop down menu will appear. add the F keys in question.

screen-capture-9.jpg

In the From part of the drop down menu press the F key you wish to add, in the To part use the drop down menu select the matching F Key.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2013
  5. Thank you again, but my problem is still there.
    I've tried this before I make the post. I tried again When I see your post. Unfortunately it makes no difference.

Now my choice is to disable Mac OS X's shortcut (in the 'system preference' -> 'keyboard' -> 'shortcuts').
    That make my VM's shortcut work correctly. But I cannot use F9, F10, F11, Ctrl+Space in Mac OS X now.

Screenshot at 11月 03 23-06-18.png Screenshot at 11月 03 23-12-24.png

6. NtiKay

NtiKay Bit poster

What you ask is finally similar to this thread, which has also not received an answer. I wondering myself about this. I need the same functionality, different application.

7. kat

kat Product Expert

Hi
    If you need your shortcut keys in your vm to be program specific. Change them in the vm.
    You can also change the shortcut key in your mac for all of the items you listed, to other than the current default settings.
    System Preference>keyboard>shortcuts> highlight the shortcut you wish to change> click on the short cut key combination>enter new shortcut key

screen-capture-11.jpg

8. mourhoon

mourhoon Bit poster

Looks like I've found the solution. At least for me :)
    Maverickes introduced a new security feature: access to "Accessibility" (referenced as "Assistive devices" sometimes) is on per-application basis. And it looks like that this "Accessibility" is the thing Parallels uses to hook "Cmd+Tab" (System Shortcuts in parallels) and "Ctrl+something" key combinations. When I've enabled Accessibility for Parallels.app everything began to work again.

To enable it do the following:
    System Preferences -> Security & Privacy -> Privacy tab -> Accessibility (blue icon). Make sure Parallels Desktop.app is checked in the list. (If everything is grey - it means you should press on lock icon in left lower corner and enter your password).

Hope it helps

9. kat

kat Product Expert

10. jordanglevine

jordanglevine Bit poster

What if Parallels isn't listed under Accessibility for me to check?

11. WilliamT

WilliamT Bit poster

Open Finder > Applications grab the application you wish to add to the Accessibility list and drag and drop it to the list box.

12. It seems that Parallels Desktop 9 released an update (9.0.23350.941886), saying it will fix this problem.
    ParallelsDesktopUpdate.png

When I install this update, it takes me to the Accessibility setting.
    I followed it and solve my problem.
    Thank you again.