Is it just me or have other the same issues with instability since Mavericks?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by mwille64, Nov 9, 2013.

1. mwille64

mwille64 Member

I posted following issues all involving Parallels to crash...

http://forum.parallels.com/showthre...ode-crashes-since-Mac-OS-upgrade-to-Mavericks

http://forum.parallels.com/showthre...-9-with-Mavericks-in-coherent-mode-a-disaster

and there is another posting not from myself...

http://forum.parallels.com/showthre...der-Win-7-in-Parallels-are-getting-unbearable

Would really like to get some feed back from others here. I used to love Parallels, but I'm at a point to consider switching back to VMWare as I have about a dozen crashes per day. The problem is that Parallels doesn't even seem to notice that it is crashing and hence no crash reports are or can be sent.

HERE ARE THE STEPS TO CRASH PARALLELS

Here is one trigger that will reproduce a crash every time:

1) Macbook Pro Retina + 2nd HDMI monitor

2) Launch Parallels and start the Windows 7 VM (NOT IN COHERENCE MODE)

3) Move the VM window to the external HDMI monitor

4) Change to Coherent mode (the windows Start bar is now displayed in the HDMI monitor)

5) Change the Windows start bar to Auto Hide (this is another bug in Parallels as it ALWAYS disables the Auto-Hide feature of the Windows VM)

6) Open a number of Windows (VM) applications and place some on the laptop’s screen, some on the external HDMI screen

7) Pull the plug of the HDMI monitor

Either Parallels is crashing right away or the application windows of the VM start to behave erratic.

If the latter happens connect the HDMI monitor to the laptop again and repeat the steps from step 3 onwards.

For me Parallels crashes latest with the 2nd round of disconnecting the external HDMI screen.

Support ID: [Parallels #1779566]

Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
  2. WarrenT

WarrenT Bit poster

frequent crashing very unstable

Same issue. My OS 10.9 has some corrupt files , and needs reinstallation,but 10.9 downloads are failing. I uninstalled Intego antivirus, and for the last 24 hour crashes have stopped. A reinstallation of parallels did not work. Win 7,boots and works without crashing, but is reported as "not responding" in the mac activity monitor. Parallels desktop in the mac activity monitor,does not seem to have a issue. I started disabling as many invisible background
    programs,that I did not need.

Good luck

3. mwille64

mwille64 Member

Today Parallels support called me (note: on a Sunday !). A very patient and friendly techie worked for more than an hour remotely on my Macbook to re-install Parallels. So far results are mixed:

The mouse issues on a second monitor running the VM in coherent mode is still there, hence no improvement here. So I had to re-implement the work around mentioned in the linked posting.

The issue of Parallels frequently crashing seems to have been solved. Though it is a bit early to be sure of it. I will keep on posting.

In any case, the support effort of the Parallels technical team was impressive :)

4. mwille64

mwille64 Member

Only one crash so far and it could have been for different reasons. Looks like the re-installation did the trick.

5. mwille64

mwille64 Member

Unfortunately more crashes occurred since then all related to Coherent mode with a 2nd monitor connected.