Mouse control in Parallels 9 with Mavericks in coherent mode a disaster...

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by mwille64, Oct 30, 2013.

1. mwille64

mwille64 Member

Since I upgraded to Mavericks and Parallels 9 (both latest updates) the mouse control of my Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit VM is literally a disaster. I need to click at least 5-10 pixel above the item I need to click on for it to get focus; frequently the mouse completely goes bananas (for instance getting stuck in a kind of drawing rectangular mode, presumably to select multiple items).

Right now coherent mode is a No Go :-( I have to stick to full screen.

Please get this fixed.
    Thanks.

I run a Macbook Pro Retina (2012)

Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
  2. mwille64

mwille64 Member

I can narrow down the issue to the use of the Magic Mouse with an external HDMI monitor. On the Macbook itself the problem does not occur. Having said this, I almost always work with an external monitor.

3. sergk

sergk Parallels Developers

Hello!
    Do you have mouse problem with a particular program or with entire Windows system on external monitor?

4. mwille64

mwille64 Member

Well, I'm mostly using Lotus Notes and Microsoft Office. But I don't think it is an issue of particular applications as even the Windows Start bar behaves abnormal.

In any case, I'm just about to post another thread as in Coherent mode my VM crashes not later than 10 mouse clicks after a complete system restart.

Something is very very wrong since my upgrade to Mavericks.

5. freedumb87

freedumb87 Bit poster

I have the same problem; at least I think so anyways. I'm using a logitech mouse in place of the magic mouse though. I have an iMac 27 inch (Mid 2011) with Windows 7 running in coherence mode. I have my Windows applications on my secondary Dell monitor. After upgrading to Parallels 9 and then to Mavericks, I'm having the same mouse issues that you are describing. I think it has something to do with the way Mavericks is extending the Menu Bar across all monitors. It's like that is causing the Windows applications to be pushed down visually but the mouse thinks the window is where it would have been if the Apple menu bar was not there. It isn't a particular application in Windows. Even the Windows task bar wacks out and doesn't seem to redraw properly. Eventually, things will start working again and then shortly malfunction again.

For example, the last issue I had was with a MS Word document. When I tried to minimize the window with the mouse, the button click would not register or highlight to indicate hover until I actually moved the mouse pointer several pixels above the minimize button. If I drag the Window to the iMac screen, the mouse behaves properly. When I drag the Window back to the secondary monitor, the problem seems to be temporarily fixed. I can't figure out what the trigger is.

6. mwille64

mwille64 Member

Somewhat glad to read that I'm not the only one ... "imagining" things ;-)

7. freedumb87

freedumb87 Bit poster

I found somewhat of a workaround that at least makes the mouse and windows operate correctly. Go to System Preferences -> Mission Control -> Uncheck Displays have separate Spaces. Log out and log back in. You lose the benefit of having the Menu bar across your secondary monitor, but it at least makes the mouse behave properly while working in Windows applications on the secondary monitor in Coherence mode.

8. mwille64

mwille64 Member

You are my hero :) Works like charm and even the VM crashes I experienced are gone.

http://forum.parallels.com/showthre...ode-crashes-since-Mac-OS-upgrade-to-Mavericks

Seems all related to this one issue.

9. mwille64

mwille64 Member

I just sent the following to Parallels support. I thought it might be useful to have this here too...

Parallels is not calculating the mouse position correctly in relation to the window or UI element within. As a result clicking an area on screen to give focus or to e.g. click a button leads to no mouse action or unexpected mouse actions.

Steps to reproduce:

1) in OSX enable Displays have separate spaces (default)

2) add a 2nd monitor to your Macbook

3) launch Parallels and the Windows 7 VM in windows mode and move the Parallels window to the 2nd monitor

4) change to coherent mode (the Windows Start menu bar should appear in the 2nd monitor)

5) make sure Windows 7 is set to use Aero and allow Aero in Parallels configuration

6) set the Windows start bar to Auto Hide = disabled

7) launch e.g. Excel and maximize it in the 2nd monitor

At this point you will notice that there is space of approx 5-10 pixel between the OSX info bar on top of the screen and the title bar of the maximised Windows application
    You will also notice that the status bar of the Windows application moved about the same number of pixels below the Windows Start menu bar
    I have attached a screen shot highlighting the two problem areas with red circles

Whilst the Windows application window is moved down by 10 pixel, the apps boundaries related to any mouse action is NOT !
    Try to use the mouse to change the height of a row of cells. You will notice that the mouse cursor is not changing at the correct position between two Excel rows, but rather exactly in the middle of one of the rows.
    In essence, clicking with the mouse to any part of the applications window will result in unexpected actions as the mouse is sending the click events to different objects then the visual presentation would suggest.
    To be precise, one needs to click about 10 pixels above the object to hit it. For large buttons that will not be to much of an issue. But if you work on images it does !!!

8) Now set the Windows Start menu bar to Auto Hide

You will notice that the problem disappears

Alternatively

10) in OSX disable Displays have separate spaces

Again, the problem disappears

Note: this problem CANNOT be rectified by re-installing the Parallels Windows Tools.

parallels issue 1.png

10. Paullin

Paullin Bit poster

I'm having TONS of issues with Parallels 9 and Windows. In my case, it was with windows 8.1 and I was having similar issues with the mouse pointer. In essence, Parallels registers the mouse click as being off (ie. 50pixels left and 50pixels down) from where you actually clicked. I think in one of the previous posts in the forum, the problem is that Parallels Tools install does a crapy job of actually installing the correct drivers, and so you are actually using a default Microsoft mouse driver and not the actual Parallels Tools driver.

Check out:

http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?292103-Windows-8-1-stutters-resolution-does-not-fix-itself

11. mwille64

mwille64 Member

Just installed the latest update (of today), but the problem is still there.

12. Howard33

Howard33 Bit poster

Great start but doesn't completely address the problem

This is a great start and solves about 75% of the problem. However, with my system (PD9, Win 8.1) cursor still disappears if it is placed in a Win8.1 windows and then moved out a couple of times w/out a mouse click. This happens often! Finally, when I click on Mac desktop, mouse reappears. Still frustrating. Going with freedumb87 concept, I unchecked ALL of the boxes in the MISSION CONTROL dialog above -- which disable several automatic features of SPACES. It seems to me these are very low value features anyway.... I don't miss them.

This, so far, seems to solve the problem completely. Now, I cannot reproduce cursor disappearance. So, in summary, solution seems to be:

"UNCHECK ALL THE BOXES IN THE PREFERENCES / MISSION CONTROL DIALOG"

I hope this works for everyone else.