Purchased Boxed version from CompUSA

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by eggyacid, Jun 28, 2007.

1. eggyacid

eggyacid Bit poster

Well.... i just spent $79 at a local CompUSA store for the boxed version of parallels and now I have to pay again to upgrade to 3.0? i think parallels should pulled all the old version from the retail channels. I sent 3 emails to their support and still no response..... should I bite the bullet and pay for upgrade? can't return it back to the store i think i'm fuc*ed

2. RichardKAthena

RichardKAthena Member

You will get a free upgrade; I believe the CompUSA version is handled by Nova - (http://www.novadevelopment.com/parallels/announcement.aspx) - from the blog.

No doubt some patronising regular will be along to tell you that this information is easily found and Parallels' support is excellent but they're very overworked. It actually took a bit of digging to find the appropriate information, and moreso for the UK ;)

3. Ankou

Ankou Guest

Hello eggyacid
    Please provide me by PM your purchase order, registration email and 2.x key

4. bluntman

bluntman Junior Member

I am in the same boat.

I downloaded the 3.0 Trial Version several days ago and loved it. Today I found out that Parallels is on sale at Best Buy (Canada) so I picked up a copy. I thought, installation should be easy, just use the Activation Key found in the retail copy that I just bought and input it in the Activation Key field in the Trial Version. Wrong. Parallels comes back by saying that I "cannot use this Activation Key for this version". I bought an older version? Nowhere on the box does it say the version number. Had I known that I purchased an older version I wouldn't have bought it, I would have purchased it directly from the Parallels website!

Now, after installation and registration of my retail copy, I find out that I can get a copy of Version 3.0, but I have to mail (?) my sales receipt and a printed registration page to the publisher after which I will get an email with a link to where I can download Version 3.0. Well, with the Canada Day long weekend here and the US Independence Day falling within day of one another, my still functioning Version 3.0 Trial Version will cease to work prior to receiving that link. Great.

And of course, with Version 3.0 being completely different internally (not just an update, but an upgrade), I find out that I will require a reinstallation of Windows XP prior to using Version 3.0. Well, there go my plans, out the window (pun not intended).

:(

5. flipdoubt

flipdoubt Member

I'm in the same boat as you guys, having purchased what I thought was 3.0 from PowerMax 06/26. I've sent in my upgrade request via fax.

Ankou, would you be able to expedite things for me? Thanks.

6. Sculler

Sculler Junior Member

I had the same problem. I bought my copy at the local Mac store in mid May while waiting for the delivery of my new MacBook Pro. It wasn't until I started using the Mac and Parallels that I found out there was an upgrade to 3.0.

In any event I activated my 2.X version and sent a couple of e-mails to Support asking for my free upgrade. I used the links on the main site.

In the normal course of things I had 2.X check for updates, it found one and I installed it. When it restarted the update determined that I was eligible for the upgrade to 3.0 and asked If I wanted to upgrade. When I said yes it brought up a form to fill out and print. It then had me fax it and a copy of the form and the receipt. A couple of days later I had my license key and link to download 3. As part of this process, it sent the information in and I received an e-mail back as well confirming that this was in process. So make sure you fill out the form with accurate e-mail information.

So short version, check for an update, if it finds it install it and see if this works for you...

Good Luck
    Sculler

7. flipdoubt

flipdoubt Member

Hi, Sculler. How long did it take for them to process your fax? Oh, you said a couple of days. I'll be patient, but it is burning a whole in my brain.

8. jobie

jobie Bit poster

Same thing for me. I have written three times and still no response. A few weeks ago when my parallels (from Bestbuy) stopped running my USB devices properly, I sought help. Of course, Parallels never responded to my emails, so I used the forum and found out I needed to download a new build. The info on the forum told me I that since I had bought the product after a certain date, I was eligible for the free 3.0 download...it also said that the reg. key from my product was sufficient. I ran the download over a week ago and I haven't been able to access my windows VM AT ALL.

I work from home 1-2 days per week and this is a MAJOR INCONVENIENCE and parallels doesn't seem to give a darn about any of their customers or their issues!

I am so disgusted with this company.

9. flipdoubt

flipdoubt Member

Personally, I'm not that upset nor do I want to be. I would have been happy to buy it from the website and download it, if it meant I got Parallels 3.0 when I went to get it. If anything, the retailers should be better educated to know what they're selling is not 3.0. That or there should be no retailers for Parallels.

Too bad PowerMax won't refund my money because I've opened the box. I would buy it online now if it means I could download it within the hour.

10. bluntman

bluntman Junior Member

Amen brother!

11. flipdoubt

flipdoubt Member

I faxed in my free upgrade offer on Friday, got it approved this afternoon, and got the download link in an hour. The approval email was a little confusing because it reads:

Your Parallels Desktop 3.0 free upgrade has been processed and approved. You will receive a download link via the email address you provided once Parallels Desktop 3.0 becomes available later this month.​

Got it; installed it; it rocks.

12. bluntman

bluntman Junior Member

I faxed mine this afternoon.

13. bluntman

bluntman Junior Member

OK. It looks like things are progressing in the same manner. I received the same email before lunch.

Your Parallels Desktop 3.0 free upgrade has been processed and approved. You will receive a download link via the email address you provided once Parallels Desktop 3.0 becomes available later this month.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2007
  14. bluntman

bluntman Junior Member

I received the second email and downloaded 3.0 when I got home. I used the uninstaller to remove the previous version of Parallels and proceeded with the installation there after. Everything worked out like a charm. I didn't even have to reinstall Windows XP!

I take back all I've said in the past about this program.

15. Alan Wang

Alan Wang Bit poster

Similar Problem

I have buy parallel desktop for Mac online at your website in Nov 2006.

Now that my computer has hardisk problem, and the data can not be recovered, including the downloaded parallel desktop for Mac version 2.2.1970.0 installation files.

Thus, I need to reinstall parallel desktop for mac, and I need back the version that I paid for.

But I can not find it or download it from the parallels.com website or any website.

How should I do?

I just want to reinstall back the version of parallel desktop for mac that I bought earlier.

16. fromans

fromans Member

Still no upgrade.

I also bought Parallels Desktop for Mac from a retail store after I had already downloaded a trial of version 3.0, not realizing that it was the older version. Now none of my VM's work and even though I have faxed in the required information I still have not received the upgrade. I have also submitted 2 online support requests, of which both ARE UNANSWERED. The only response I've received is from when I faxed in the information that says "Your Parallels Desktop 3.0 free upgrade has been processed and approved. You will receive a download link via the email address you provided once Parallels Desktop 3.0 becomes available later this month." That is bogus because 3.0 has been out for a couple of weeks now. Why are they punishing people who bought it outright instead of paying online for a download. :mad:

17. bluntman

bluntman Junior Member

I received the email with the download link a few hours after receiving the approval email.

18. fromans

fromans Member

Update

Finally got my email today for the download. I guess some people are just lucky to get it within hours, while others take days. I found it quirky that you not only had to use the new key they give you, but also your original key to activate it. Regardless, I've got it installed and working now. I do wish their tech support was easier to reach. The measure of a company is in how it treats its customers AFTER the sale.

EDITED: For Grammar.

19. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

The key issue is the result of your having purchased a discounted upgrade. It is the only way Parallels can ensure you are actually an upgrading customer and so qualified for the discount. It does mean that you need to retain both keys for the life of the product. Hopefully they will not require all earlier keys for subsequent upgrades. In my case I purchased two version 2.x licenses but when I upgraded I purchased 3 upgrades not realizing that one is now useless to me. I'll convert it to a full purchase at some point, but I don't need it just now.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2007