PD9: Full Screen in Coherence in Windows 7 with Remote Desktop does not work

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Reinhard23, Sep 3, 2013.

1. Reinhard23

Reinhard23 Junior Member

Hi everybody,

I'm interested if anyone has the same issue with the fullscreen mode in coherence with Windows 7 and an RDP connection.
    When open an RDP connection in cohrerence mode, the RDP tries to open in fullscreen, but I get a black bar on the top of the screen and the taskbar at the bottom of the screen is cropped by a few millimeters (see screenshot).

Screen Shot 2013-09-03 at 6.27.01 PM.jpg

I requested support from Parallels and reported a problem (ID: 28270259) but not solution so far.

Could anyone try to start a Remote Desktop Session in coherence with PD9 in fullscreen and tell me if you have the same issue?

Thanks
    Reinhard

2. strells

strells Product Expert

I'm doing the same thing on a second monitor and I do not have this issue. Stupid question: are you exactly matching the RDP connection resolution with the resolution of your monitor?

Steve

3. Reinhard23

Reinhard23 Junior Member

Hi Steve,
    I'm doing this on my primary display (don't have a second one) and I'm setting the resolution in the RDP dialogue box to "full screen", which normally receives the proper resolution automatically from windows. Anyway - this works perfectly when I exit Coherence and go back into the fullscreen mode of the VM.
    It is only a problem in Coherence and fullscreen mode.

Reinhard

4. Adversio

Adversio Bit poster

I do have almost the same issue! Even after the last update. I run 10.9 on a MacPro with two screens, Windows 7 32bits version installed in Parallels. When i use Microsoft Remote Desktop in fullscreen mode, i get the Menu Bar on the top of the screen (where you have the black bar), that is a bit annoying because the windows task bar is part out of the screen, but even more annoying is that the mouse clicks lower (the height of the menu bar lower) then it points. I hope you can reproduce and solve this problem.

Regards,

Mark

5. Reinhard23

Reinhard23 Junior Member

Hi Mark,

have you created a problem report, sent them the ID (and post it here for them) and requested support?
    I still have this issue and it makes Coherence Mode unusable for me unfortunately (I'm using RDP ervery day).

Regards
    Reinhard

6. Adversio

Adversio Bit poster

Hi Reinhard,

I did make a problem report but did not get a an ID as far as i know.. So i probably did something wrong?

I will look into it when i return home.

Mark

7. Reinhard23

Reinhard23 Junior Member

I'm not sure - I remember that you get the ID of your problem report when you hit "Send Report". I always copy the ID, then I request support and give them this ID so the Parallels-team can figure out what I was doing. Just try again to send the Problem-Report...

8. StefanP88

StefanP88 Bit poster

Solution

Hi.

i have the same problem. Has it been fixed now? is there any solution to this problem beside to not use coherence?

9. Reinhard23

Reinhard23 Junior Member

I think they changed something. When I open RDP, the windows task bar is not cut off anymore, but it doesn't start at the bottom of the screen. Now the black bar from the screenshot of my first post is at the bottom. So I can see the task bar now completely but there is something cut off at the top of the screen (you can see it at the icons in the attached screenshot). The problem here is: When you have a maximized window, you cannot access minimize/maximize/close anymore.

Please see also that the RDP Controlbar at the top of the screen is doubled.

There is no solution for this Parallels-Bug as far as I know.

Screen Shot 2013-12-10 at 11.35.23 AM (2).jpg

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  10. Reinhard23

Reinhard23 Junior Member

So, the behavior is getting more awkward now but I have a workaround maybe - at least it works for me. I don't know why but it works :)

* I have the RDP on a second screen and I see the behavior like on the screenshots above
    * Show the Mac-Doc on the internal Display
    * Right-Click on the divider in the Dock: Position on screen -> Right
    * All of a sudden the RDP sessions show a normal behavior
    * It doesn't matter where the dock is when you change the position. The change itself makes the RDP session to behave normal.

Can you guys reproduce that?

Regards

11. JensMadsen

JensMadsen Bit poster

I'm having major problems too with RDP connections under windows 7
    sometimes the RDP session will completely minimize under coherence mode
    without coherence mode the RDP session will "wander" down and right

12. HunterDG

HunterDG Junior Member

EXACT same problem here. I have submitted support case. I can't use full-screen RDP in coherence mode - it is worthless.

13. HunterDG

HunterDG Junior Member

Unfortunately this does not work for me. I had such high hopes.

I have had a nightmare with parallels trying to get support on this. Case# 1901928. Parallels says they can't reproduce the issue and so have escalated the issue to the development team - but of course this means the ticket will be closed, so I don't have much hope. I responded to their latest email with links to this thread and THIS thread.

14. Reinhard23

Reinhard23 Junior Member

I have a workaround now which is fine for me:
    * set the resolution in the *.rdp file to your screen size - *not* to fullscreen
    * start the rdp session. It will open in a window that you can minimise or restore.
    * In the Mac-Menu, I go to "View->Enter Full Screen".
    * Mac opens a new "Space" with my RDP session in a window.
    * I maximise the window and there it is - my full screen mode. The full screen seems to be stable now.
    * If the rdp starts in full screen right away, it would not be stable. If I start the full screen mode by using the menu option View-Enter Full Screen, it works.

Try if this also works for you.

Regards

15. ArindamK

ArindamK Bit poster

Reinhard23,

Awesome - it works. Set the RDP to a lower resolution and then View -> Full Screen in Mac Menu

Thanks