Guest OSX Won't Boot after Installation of Parallels Tools

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by Stephen110, May 23, 2014.

1. Stephen110

Stephen110 Bit poster

I see there are issues where its not booting and going to a black screen, this is not that issue. I've tried creating a VM with OSX Mavericks, every time I install parallels tools and restart, it fails to boot. It is stuck on the grey boot screen where the wheel spins, the wheel stops spinning.

Additional Information
    Parallels Version - 9.0.24229
    Guest OS X Version - 10.9 Mavericks
    Hardware - Macbook Pro, Late 2013
    OS X Version - 10.9.3 Mavericks

Screen Shot 2014-05-23 at 10.32.21 AM.png

Last edited: May 23, 2014
  2. Stephen110

Stephen110 Bit poster

After several frustrating hours, I found a solution. I bought VMWare Fusion, it took all of 20 minutes to get the operating system installed, up, and running. Thanks parallels.

3. Teddy112

Teddy112 Bit poster

I second this. Have twice created a Clean Install of OS X - it works fine until I try and install Parallels tools.

Installing Parallels Tools in a Mac OS X GuestVM breaks the VM

Created new Parallels 9 VM - install OS X 10.9.3 from a MacAppStore downloaded image.
    Updated the Guest OS X using Software Update - worked OK.
    Tried to install Parallels Tools... and it starts to install, asks for the Admin password.. ok... installs... then goes to reboot.. and voila - stuck on the gray screen as Stephen110 has shown above.

Host OS OS X 10.9.3, on a MacBookAir mid2012. The VM diskimage .pvm is on an external USB3 SSD.
    Parallels 9 v 9.0.24229
    Guest OS X 10.9.3
    Default config (e.g. parallels settings)

4. mrpezza

mrpezza Bit poster

Seeing the exact same issue

Also seeing this issue! Hopefully a quick fix soon!!

5. JJFromYYC

JJFromYYC Bit poster

Allow me to add a ME TOO to this one.

Host:
    Parallels 9.0.24229
    OSX 10.9.3
    MBP Retina Early 2013

Guest:
    OSX 10.9.3 from App Store Download
    Installed using instructions from KB 118806 (option #2 in the article)

Exactly the same behaviour as above. Installs, works. Install Guest Tools, reboot, freezes at spinwheel.

Very hopeful this gets resolved sooner than later.

6. Mervin@Parallels

Mervin@Parallels Guest

7. Stephen110

Stephen110 Bit poster

8. Stephen110

Stephen110 Bit poster

9. Bobby32

Bobby32 Bit poster

I tried setting up OS X as a guest OS yesterday and have the same issue. Works fine until I install Parallel tools and then the gray screen like above. I am looking forward to a solution.

I just tried uninstalling parallels and reinstalling like suggested above. I then opened a copy of my OSX virtual machine pre parallel tools and Installed parallel tools. The same frozen gray screen occurs as before.

Host:
    Parallels 9.0.24229
    OSX 10.9.3
    13" MBP Retina late 2013

Guest:
    OSX 10.9.3 from recovery partition
    no other third party software installed

Robert

Last edited: May 27, 2014
  10. JJFromYYC

JJFromYYC Bit poster

11. hunters14473

hunters14473 Bit poster

Hi,
    same here...

This issue occurs due to Parallels video driver incompatibility with OS X 10.9.3. Parallels Development Team is aware of the issue and works on the resolution .

Temporary Work Around to disable Parallels video Driver and get back the VM without reinstalling everything:

1. Open virtual machine configuration, switch to Hardware tab > Boot Order and check Select boot device on startup.

2. Boot the Guest OS X 10.9.3 virtual machine into the Single User mode:

Start the virtual machine, hit Enter (return) at the 'Press any key to enter startup options' screen.
    type '-s' (without quotes) as a boot option and hit Enter (return).

3. Once the Guest has booted, mount the root partition with read/write permissions by executing the command:

mount -o update /

4. Rename Parallels video Kernel extension by executing the command:

mv /System/Library/Extensions/prl_video.kext /System/Library/Extensions/prl_video.kext.old

5. Reboot virtual machine executing the command:

reboot

Note : Note: after performing these steps, the only available Guest resolution will be 1024x768 and Dynamic resolution tool will not work

Bye
    Marcello

12. JJFromYYC

JJFromYYC Bit poster

I can confirm that this workaround .. umm.. works around the issue :)

Thank you Marcello!

Looking forward to the fix from the Parallels team.

13. Stephen110

Stephen110 Bit poster

Is there an expected timeline on when this build will be released? This is a fairly significant bug.

14. hunters14473

hunters14473 Bit poster

No... the support didn't gave me any prevision.

15. merseyparadise

merseyparadise Bit poster

+1.

I'm not sure support will ever read the forums; do we have a way to chivvy them along with this? Can we contribute to the raised Bug ID?

16. Abdul@Parallels

Abdul@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi All,

Our Development team is constantly working on this issue. The solution will be released through an update, please check for Parallels Desktop updates (http://kb.parallels.com/111603) and make sure you are running the latest build of Parallels Desktop 9 for Mac.
    We are constantly working on the product enhancements. We appreciate your time and patience.

17. BobTheDog

BobTheDog Member

I just paid for the update to version 9 to install mavericks, now surprised I am (NOT) that it doesn't work!

from the website :

Can I have my money back?

18. RMH001

RMH001 Bit poster

Parallels main competitor: VMWare Fusion - works with 10.9.3

Totally free software: VirtualBox - works with 10.9.3

Parallels 9 - Doesn't work. A week of silence, followed by "we're working on it", followed by nothing.

Great job Parallels. I don't know why I upgraded. I wanted to be able to set up a 10.9 virtual machine so I could start investigating Xcode 6 Beta and Swift for my job. But as usual, you get in the way and screw things up.

Another unhappy (now ex-)customer.

19. baldock88

baldock88 Bit poster

I completely agree, and will also be an ex-customer unless some sort of incentive is given to want to be a customer again. It is absolutely ridiculous that an extremely core function is completely broken after Parallels always toats their Parallels Tools as one of the best integration toolsets on the market. This is now costing me time and probably money if I can't get myself setup on a system to learn and test the new Beta products from Apple without corrupting my core system. I can't believe a free product such as VirtualBox is working better than a paid product with no updates except we're working on it... what does that mean? What is the time frame, find us a temporary workaround as basically you have sold us a product that is falsely advertised because it is currently USELESS.

20. BobTheDog

BobTheDog Member

I have just emailed them asking for a refund, lets see what happens.

21. BobTheDog

BobTheDog Member

Just incase anyone is interested I just installed the demo of VMWare fusion, 10.9.3 and 10.10 installed ok.

10.10 has graphics issues and is too slow to use.

10.9.3 also has slow graphics (no hardware acceleration) but is useable.

32bit geek bench scores:

actual machine 2894, 29566
    Fusion 10.9.3 2745, 22778
    Parallels 10.8.5 2788, 16751

Blackmagic disk test:

actual machine write 960MB/sec, read 880MB/sec
    Fusion 10.9.3 write 200MB/Sec, read 250 MB/sec
    Parallels 10.8.5 write 800MB/sec, read 770MB/Sec

So fusion wins out on cpu due to supporting 12 cores on this machine, for 8 cores or less possibly parallels would be faster.
    Parallels wins hands down on disk speed
    Parallels wins hands down on graphics speed.

So Fusion doesn't seem like that great an option, apart from the fact it works with 10.9.3!

Edit: Fusion is pretty unusable for 10.9.3. The screen update is very bad, so it is definitely not an alternative :(

Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
  22. Stephen110

Stephen110 Bit poster

Not a Perfect Fix, but Helps

Bump your vm graphics memory up. I jumped up to 512mb. Not as great as it should be, but better than default. Really not a good solution for something graphics intensive, but for web development it works well.