Wireless bridging with windows XP flaky ??

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by lasse@christiansens.net, May 6, 2006.

1. lasse@christiansens.net

lasse@christiansens.net Member

It does not seem as though bridging from a VM to the en1 on the Mac host in Beta6 (hotfix) version is very stable ..... I have a lot of situations where all of a sudden the VM cannot communicate with any other ip address.

The i release and renew and might be able to communicate again for a couple of minutes until i lose connectivity again ? Mac OS is stable all the way through.

Have anyone seen this type of behaviour sine beta6-hotfix came out ?

Best Regards,

Lasse,

PS: Cannot wait for the next beta ! (must be a next beta, still missing stability with shared folders, better network connectivity, and improved speed).

2. mikechadwick

mikechadwick Member

i've had real problems connecting with wi-fi since beta 6. just doesn't seem to recognise the connection.

3. Martin

Martin Member

I have to wait some seconds (15-20) to have internet access after starting WinXP. Just wait. Maybe that's normal after starting WinXP?!
    In addition I have the impression if I enter "ipconfig" as a "DOS" command in a DOS command window it speeds up the process (?).

Last edited: May 7, 2006
  4. lasse@christiansens.net

I seem to get similar results.

If i do a "ipconfig /release" it releases the ip address (which i do when it stops working). If i then do a "ipconfig /renew" it takes awhile and then complains that it cannot get an ip address.

Seconds after that windows XP tells me that it has full connectivity. And if i execute an "ipconfig" i can see that it actually got an ip address.

Weird,

5. lasse@christiansens.net

Are you running the hotfix version of beta6 ?

Because i installed the original beta6 and then immediately updated to beta6-hotfix. But these wireless quirks are in the hotfix version.

Lasse

6. Martin

Martin Member

hotfix applied, indeed.
    BTW did not expect to learn some DOS commands in an Apple forum :p
    ipconfig /release
    and
    ipconfig /renew

were new to me. fantastic :D

7. e7sharp9

e7sharp9 Member

This happens to me also when using DHCP. But if I enter a manual IP address, router and DNS server (same as router), then connection is immediate.

I've also noticed if I don't enter a manual DNS server even in DHCP, then XP never makes a connection.

8. VTMac

VTMac Pro

This behavior has existed for me and others since Beta 4. I've seen no real improvement in any release since then. There is a long, long thread on this topic. The odd part is that it only seems to be a problem on "some" wifi networks. For example, I'm typing this message from my home wifi network with no network problems after using for several hours. If I tried the same thing at work, it would randomly come and go. When I go to clients - same thing - sometimes it's flawless, sometimes it seems to "forget" the IP. Very nasty little bug in there somewhere.

9. mbeyer

mbeyer Bit poster

Yeah this happens to me all the time. It does seem to be DHCP-related. When I move from one wireless net to another or from wireless to ethernet, and I am using the dhcp client, i cannot get a new lease.

10. dweebert

dweebert Member

I wish there was a better solution. The best I can do is to do host-only networking, and to use Apple's Internet Sharing from AirPort->en2, but that stops working when I hook up to ethernet at work.

It seems that the OS automatically turns off the sharing when the ethernet port becomes dominant, so I have to manually switch the sharing between "AirPort" and "Ethernet". This is a limitation with Apple's sharing implementation, not with Parallels.

I wish there was a free tool I could use to automatically keep the "Internet Sharing" to the default connection (be it ethernet or wireless). Heck, even a one-button-click switch would suffice.