Install OS X Guest OS via install app is refused

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by DesktopU, Jul 26, 2014.

1. DesktopU

DesktopU Bit poster

Thought I'd try installing Yosemite as a guest OS into a VM (Parallels Desktop 9.0 Build 24237). A little surprised it didn't even find the app, but figured 9.0 might not know what it was looking for.

Instead, figured I'd install Mavericks, then try and upgrade with the 10.9 VM's App Store to Yosemite. Might work, might not.

However, the function where Parallels "detects" the OS X 10.9 Mavericks installation is also broken. Left for 10 minutes and Parallels found nothing. App was downloaded fresh from the App Store, sitting right there in plain sight in the Applications folder. Rebooted in case the system hadn't registered the presence of the app yet. No change.

not-found.jpg

So, failing auto detection, the KB article describes manual selection and explicitly has this screenshot:

[​IMG]

That simply does not occur, as shown here:

denied.jpg

Note the crossed-out-circle pointer as Parallels refuses to use it.

2. Grumpy115

Grumpy115 Bit poster

Yup. I struggled with the same issues yesterday attempting to get the public beta installed as a guest OS.
    No joy at the end of the day :(
    FWIW - there is activity on the Parallels Support twitter account indicating that they are aware of the issues and are working on it.

3. timhaigh

timhaigh Bit poster

I filed a support ticket for this issue. The workaround is to copy or move the installer from your Applications folder to your Desktop folder. Then try install it.

4. PD_usr

PD_usr Member

This doesn't work for Yosemite PB1 as Guest-OS. I've tried the method described on macrumors.com to create a Installer-Image. VMware Fusion 6.04 and VirtualBox 4.3.14 can boot it, Parallels 9 can boot a Mavericks-Installer-Image created with this method, but it's not possible to create a VM with a Yosemite-Installer-Image and the current Parallels Desktop 9.0.24237.1028877. It might work with the Beta of Parallels Desktop 10.

5. anotherusername

anotherusername Bit poster

It won't work because Parallels won't let you run forward OSes. Meaning if you're on Mt Lion, and you try to load Mavericks… won't work.

A quote from Parallels:

The same applies from Mavericks+

At least this is how it appears.

6. MikeyH

MikeyH Hunter

PD10 now allows you to install from the OS X installer apps... it will extract and create an OS X Base System image automatically.

Personally tested with Mavericks and Yosemite.