What are you thinking?

Discussion in 'Parallels Website and Forum' started by Parallels User, Jul 23, 2007.

1. >>> Message has been deleted by the user <<<

2. Erich

Erich Member

jimsz, if you search these forums you'll find that your complaints are not unique. On the other hand, you may also find that if you post specific questions, other users will be willing to offer help.

3. ohTina

ohTina Member

I've been very specific and am not getting any help at all.

This began with a parallels tool problem that I could not get resolved, so I completely uninstalled Parallels, reinstalled, and cannot get Windows XP to complete loading. I get the blue set up with all the drivers loading shown at the bottom of the window, but installation doesn't complete. I get a blue screen of fatal error once the Setup is Starting Windows message appears (again in the lower left corner). I've now tried 3 different versions of Parallels and its the same problem over and over. PLEASE advise!

4. jackybe67

jackybe67 Pro

Maybe the problem isn't parallels but Windows. I've noticed that using an oem version or winxp sp1 giving problems in installing software.

5. >>> Message has been deleted by the user <<<

6. darkone

darkone Forum Maven

if you bought a $2k mac just to run windows on, then isnt that your fault not Parallels ?!? The only cost Parallels are responsible for is their $79.... If all you want your mac to do is run windows, then use bootcamp...

7. >>> Message has been deleted by the user <<<

8. darkone

darkone Forum Maven

but parallels not doing their thing correctly hardly constitues you being unable to use your $2k macintosh. The mac doesnt rely on parallels working, and as i said before, if you bought your mac solely to run windows on it, then parallels isnt the way for you anyway... Your post implies your mac is useless without parallels... I'm not defending parallels customer service, i dont think anyone can, but your statements appear to be you blaming parallels for you buying a mac.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2007
  9. >>> Message has been deleted by the user <<<

10. darkone

darkone Forum Maven

i did a quick search of your posts, but its difficult to get all the info on your problem(s)

I'm happy to try to help you out if you put a concise post together or PM me.

11. jackybe67

jackybe67 Pro

Witch version off windows are you trying to install???

Maybe your trying an oem version that was deliverd with another com?

You start a thread without saying what the problem is, just bashing !!!

Maybe you can send an e-mail to Bill Gates and tell him how great his software is :)

Last edited: Jul 28, 2007
  12. >>> Message has been deleted by the user <<<

13. Purplish

Purplish Forum Maven

He doesn't want our help. Just wants to vent.

14. >>> Message has been deleted by the user <<<

15. darkone

darkone Forum Maven

i notice http://forum.parallels.com/post75012-5.html , youre using an OEM version of windows xp.... can i suggest, just to exclude it from the equation, that you try with a retail version of XP. Although theres nothing specific to OEM versions that is obvious, in the 12 months Ive been here, there have been numerous instances where using OEM version has caused issues during installation. I know Parallels dont explicitly say "dont use OEM versions" but believe me when I say, literally hundreds of problems have been fixed by switching to a retail version.

16. jackybe67

jackybe67 Pro

Did the test myself.

Have a retail version dutch en english......no problem installing

Have a oem version.......stops at 40% off install

In one thing i have to agree, the parallels team could do more in helping people on this forum...

Last edited: Jul 29, 2007
  17. David5000

David5000 Pro

I don't think it is the OEM version per se, though. (I have an OEM version of XP Pro SP2 that works fine, for example.) There must be other variables that make some OEM versions unusable with some setups.

For what it's worth, I bought my OEM version, brand-new and sealed, from a local used computer dealer.

David

18. Purplish

Purplish Forum Maven

If your OEM version is not installing all the way, there are at least a couple of things to try.

1) Create an ISO image from your Windows Install CD and install from the image.
    2) I would try the two fixes mentioned at www.macwindows.com
    3) Also see theKnowledgeBase here and here.

19. jackybe67

jackybe67 Pro

It was an oem version with sp1.

Always use a copie with sp2

20. darkone

darkone Forum Maven

wasnt there a bit change to atapi.sys between SP1 and SP2, that might account for a few problems that are seen in the forums. I remember having to use SP2 on my home PC as SP1 wouldnt recognise the large HDD I had installed and would bomb during install.