10.1.28859 crashing with Win7 in Coherence when on battery power (Yosemite)

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Stuart Miller, Jan 19, 2015.

1. Stuart Miller

Stuart Miller Member

Totally weird. After upgrading to Yosemite a couple of months ago - together with Parallels 10 - I would get sporadic system crashes on my MacBook Pro. They would occur periodically, usually once or twice a day; often when there was no apparent activity or app work being done. After several weeks of living with this, I detected the following common factors:

1 - the system does not crash if it is on mains power
    2 - the system does not crash if Parallels is not open
    3 - the system has not crashed if it was not in Coherence
    4 - the system crashes only when Win7 VM is active, but not with any specific application open
    5 - it is not possible to generate a crash, even with these conditions in place - the crash just happens without warning

When reviewing the Mac system logs, there was no indication of any activity or abnormal condition immediately before the crash. In fact, in most instances there were no console log entries for several minutes before the crash. I have not yet contacted Apple support, but wanted to know if any other Parallels users have experience anything similar before I do that? Incidentally, the system never crashed like this with Parallels 9/Mavericks/Win7.

2. Abdul@Parallels

Abdul@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi Stuart,

Thank you for providing a detailed description about the issue.
    In order to investigate the issue, please provide us a problem report ID : http://kb.parallels.com/9058

Also please follow the steps as suggested below:

- Uninstall Parallels Desktop 10 for Mac application : http://kb.parallels.com/122653 (this will remove only the application and your Virtual Machine will remain the same)
    - Run Repair Disk permission on the Mac side.
    - Reboot Mac.
    - Download Parallels Desktop 10 for Mac from : www.parallels.com/directdownload/pd10
    - Install it.

Hope the re-installation of Parallels Desktop will help you in resolving the issue.

3. Stuart Miller

Stuart Miller Member

Thanks for your reply. I"ll be happy to send a problem report - however. since I cannot reproduce the problem (it happens spontaneously) and the MacBook Pro shuts down completely and immediately when it occurs, there is unlikely to be any valuable information in the logs. Would you like me to send a problem report BEFORE it happens, or would you like me to send a report after the Mac reboots?

4. Stuart Miller

Stuart Miller Member

It just crashed again. I generated a problem report AFTER the Mac rebooted (Report ID: 56489904). I had already uninstalled and reinstalled Parallels as you suggested.

5. Stuart Miller

Stuart Miller Member

Update to Report ID: 56489904. My MacBook Pro just crashed again, but this time, neither Win7 nor Parallels was open or active. Thus, it is an Apple problem. Thanks for your action but I guess you can throw the Report out now. I have to contact Apple.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015