For the love of .... Please, someone tell me this beeping can be disabled!!

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by JosieM, Apr 19, 2015.

1. JosieM

JosieM Bit poster

I just installed Parallels on my Yosemite 10.10.2 Mac, and loaded Windows 8.1 from my old laptop. Every single time I switch from the Windows screen to the Mac, I get this very loud, very annoying beep sound. I've disabled the Beep in the Registry on the Windows computer, but it just does NOT stop that annoying sound. Disabling the audio from the Windows 8.1 machine isn't an option as I'm planning on using it for gaming, but I'm ready to pull my hair out hearing this God-awful beep. I really hate it.

Is there some way of turning that stupid, annoying sound OFF? Permanently?

Thanks.

2. Manoj@Parallels

Manoj@Parallels Parallels Support Parallels Support

Hi JoiseM,
    Please try the steps given below and check if it resolves the issue :
    Use Boot flag "devices.audio.clock=1" (to check guest time logic) :
    - Start Parallels Desktop without starting the virtual machine

- Go to virtual machine configuration http://kb.parallels.com/en/117287 > Hardware > Boot order

- In the field Bootflag please type in: "devices.audio.clock=1" (without quotes)

- Close the configuration window and start the virtual machine

3. JosieM

JosieM Bit poster

Unfortunately that did not work, the beep still happens when I switch between the VM window and my Mac windows. It's quite annoying switching between the windows. :(

4. JosieM

JosieM Bit poster

Still no change. I even downgraded to Parallels 9, and the beep is still there, but it's a slightly different sound. I really really wish I could stop that annoying sound.

5. JosieM

JosieM Bit poster

I'm disappointed that there hasn't been any other suggestions about this. Am I the only one experiencing this, or is this a normal part of Virtual Machine? I've tried every possible thing to get rid of the beep that happens. The only way I've been able to stop the beep is to actually mute the VM via the Parallels menu Devices > Sound > Mute. Muting the actual Windows desktop doesn't do it. But, since my intention was to use the VM for gaming, muting isn't really a viable option. It seems that the sound is within Parallels itself, not my Mac or my Windows environment. I just don't see any options within Parallels to deactivate it.

:( If it's something that is a normal part of Parallels, then I can live with it, but I wish it was something that could be disabled because it is quite annoying.

6. Manoj@Parallels

Manoj@Parallels Parallels Support Parallels Support

7. JosieM

JosieM Bit poster

Manoj, I just submitted report ID 62528527. I also took a video of the issue, and the beep can be heard when I click back on the VM window. It also makes the beep whenever I click on the Parallels menus at the top of the Mac screen.

I'm running OS 10.10.2, Parallels version 10.2.0 (though I've also tried version 9 and it beeps as well), with Windows 8.1.

JasonB3 likes this.
  8. ChrisM1

ChrisM1 Bit poster

I have the same issue, it's been driving me mad for a while now....

9. JosieM

JosieM Bit poster

Oh, I'm not alone!! Oh thank god, I thought it was just me! Sorry you're having this issue, but I'm glad I'm not crazy. :) Hopefully they'll figure out what can be done to disable that awful sound.

10. JosieM

JosieM Bit poster

I'm really disappointed that I have heard nothing about this issue. I mean, it's been over 3 weeks and I've heard nothing about it. I submitted the problem report and haven't had any response about it. It's really frustrating. :(

11. JosieM

JosieM Bit poster

CHRIS!! I fixed it!!! I just let Parallels know how I did it, but here's what I did and OMG I'm so happy, no more beeping!!!

I'm running Windows 8.1, which I default to boot to the Desktop.
    From the desktop, I clicked on the Start button, and was brought to the Apps screen.
    In the upper right corner, I clicked on the search magnifying glass to open the search window, then typed in 'PC Settings" to search
    I clicked on "PC Settings", and on the left side, I clicked on "Ease of Access"
    Under "Ease of Access", I clicked on the "Keyboard" option.
    I noticed the "Toggle Keys" function was turned ON. It plays a tone when you press caps/num/scroll lock keys.
    Since I always keep Num Lock on with my keyboard, every time I'd switch to the virtual desktop, it would act like it's seeing that I'm turning the Num Lock on.
    Once I switched that off and restarted my Parallels, voila! No more beep!!! I'm SOOOO glad I finally found the resolution, it was driving me bonkers.

I hope this fixes it for you, fingers crossed, good luck!!! :D

Goldenstarc and LeszekK like this.
  12. Hi @JosieM
    Thanks for your reply and provided information. Glad to know that the issue has been resolved.
    Thank you for the provided resolution once again!

13. LeszekK

LeszekK Bit poster

@JosieM - what can I say, beeping was making myself crazy! Love you for advice!

14. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hello, It seems that you're on outdated build of Parallels Desktop 11, please update Parallels Desktop to the latest build 11.1.0 (32202). You can update to the latest build as suggested in this article. Latest version always available here: http://www.parallels.com/directdownload/pd11/ Please note that Parallels Tools also needs to be updated (Actions > Update Parallels Tools). Please see this article to know more about Parallels Desktop 11 for Mac updates summary.

15. mlindholm

mlindholm Bit poster

Unfortunately, following your instructions led me to finding that MY Toggle Keys option was already turned off. But I was on the right track, and checked out the other Accessibility Options. MY culprit turned out to be Mouse Keys, which once disabled, silenced the beeping for me.

Windows 10 Pro on Parallels 10 on OSX 10.9.4

16. mlindholm

mlindholm Bit poster

While quoting partial instructions from http://www.thewindowsclub.com/disable-system-beep-windows-7-8, and then the introduction to an instruction article from http://www.digitalcitizen.life/how-disable-system-beep-windows-7 (but not actually including anything useful from there), those guides don't really solve the problem correctly, they just work around it. Disabling the system beep is generally unnecessary, as it doesn't often sound off when things are working correctly. Those of us here having this issue were getting the system beep every time we switched active windows from a Mac app, back into the Parallels window, which depending on your workflow and use of Parallels, could be several times a minute. Fixing why the "BEEP!" occurred in that scenario was the goal, not just suppressing the beep entirely.

So, identifying that the Accessibility Options were enabled, and toggling on and off when the window would gain and lose focus, then fixing WHY that was happening, is a better solution than just "If you turn it off, you won't hear it anymore".

17. PhilippeE

PhilippeE Bit poster

OMG thanks Josie, it was driving me mad as well.
    The setting for "Toggle keys" was actually NOT set but I unchecked everything and ticked it on and off and then it was gone.

18. Glen_Parallels

Glen_Parallels Junior Member

Excellent! Great solution! I don't know how I unintentionally turned it on but your help @JosieM sure got the problem turned off. :)

19. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

Glad to hear that you have resolved issue using steps provided in @JosieM post ! Feel free to reach out anytime.

20. Goldenstarc

Goldenstarc Bit poster

Thank you buddy !!!
    I migrated from VMware to parallel and this beep noise was annoying me a lot and this fixed that...
    I just toggled off ((Turn on mouse keys))