Parallels Desktop and SoftRAID 5.0.7

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by DanS2, Apr 18, 2015.

1. DanS2

DanS2 Bit poster

I am using Parallels Desktop 10.2.0 on a Mac with Yosemite 10.10.3, and recently upgraded to SoftRAID 5.0.7 (the latest version). Upon completing the SoftRAID upgrade, I read that it says not to use Parallels with SoftRAID 5.0.7 as there is an issue with potential corruption. According to SoftRAID support, the symptom is a previously validated SoftRAID mirror no longer validates, with 0 block updates, implying something is writing to the disk under the file system and causing the corruption. Since I use a SoftRAID external mirror, I have not opened Parallels since the SoftRAID upgrade, so I am unable to be more specific as to exactly which build of Parallels Desktop 10.2.0 I'm currently using. My Parallels virtual HD is on my internal HD (which is not a SoftRAID volume), but because of the potential corruption issue, I have still been hesitant to open Parallels until I know this has been sorted out and/or corrected. Just wondering if Parallels is aware of this issue, and if a fix is being worked on. Any information and/or updates on the situation are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. Rob C.

Rob C. Bit poster

Can anyone from Parallels confirm this issue? I have a SoftRAID array that i was hoping to use to hold all my Parallel VMs.

3. DanS2

DanS2 Bit poster

Hi Maria,
    According to what I'm reading in the article you linked to, one needs to have the problem occur within Parallels and then generate the Problem report. Speaking only for myself, I am not about to go potentially corrupt my external RAID and/or Parallels virtual HD just to generate a problem report. Isn't there an easier way to get this submitted?

Last edited: Jun 16, 2015
  4. DanS2

DanS2 Bit poster

Rob,
    Not sure this is the answer you were hoping for, but my solution to this problem was to revert back to SoftRAID 5.0.6 until some future version of SoftRAID and/or Parallels Desktop confirms the issue is resolved. So far, knock on wood, I've had no issues using SoftRAID 5.0.6 with my external RAID mirror.