Windows 10 Preview 2 - Coherence Mode

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by EyanS, Jan 24, 2015.

1. EyanS

EyanS Bit poster

Anyone having an issue with Coherence Mode, Whenever I click the start button in the dock, it takes me to a full screen page, also it shows the "Windows Shell Experience Host" Any Ideas?

2. jtdavidson83

jtdavidson83 Bit poster

Yes, same issue here as well.

3. utesch

utesch Bit poster

Same here... anyone with a work around?

4. Maheesh@Parallels

Maheesh@Parallels Parallels Support Parallels Support

Hi All,
    Thanks for bringing this to our attention.
    Our developers are aware of this issue and they are working on a fix.
    The fix will be available in one of the future builds/ versions of Parallels Desktop.
    You can track the changes to the current version by subscribing to update summary at http://kb.parallels.com/122720

Cyrilrbrd likes this.
  5. NenoS

NenoS Bit poster

Any update on this? I just installed Windows 10 and I am having the same issue :(

6. KyleF

KyleF Bit poster

Same here. Anytime I open an app on Windows 10 within coherence mode, it opens a new windows, called Windows Shell Experience Host. Any fixes?

7. Cyrilrbrd

Cyrilrbrd Junior Member

Two windows are actually created, the Windows Shell Experience Host is one and Cortana is the other. This happens mostly when a new app is opened or a submenu triggered.

8. Blockfish

Blockfish Bit poster

Hello India,
    Any update?

9. iterry

iterry Bit poster

Same here...just updated W10 and now get annoying Cortana & Windows Shell Experience Host dock icons :( How soon will this be corrected:

10. Cyrilrbrd

Cyrilrbrd Junior Member

Apparently WSHE still opens but a new window appears as well upon the first launching of parallels it is called Settings [1].
    Cortana appears if the cursor hovers too long on the tiles.
    Although WSHE and Cortana can be closed, Settings [1] remains open regardless of trials.

Attached Files:

11. GregB3

GregB3 Bit poster

I have this same problem after upgrading to Windows 10 Pro from Windows 7 Pro. Any updates on when this might get fixed?

12. William Fulmer

William Fulmer Junior Member

Same problem here.

13. Pagemakers

Pagemakers Member

Same problem here after installing windows 10 release version

14. MarvinTa

MarvinTa Bit poster

same here!!!
    Why isn't Parallels responding? When can we expect a fix?

15. Pagemakers

Pagemakers Member

16. Sorry guys, but we cannot provide you with any ETA before the fix is available.

17. HallS

HallS Junior Member

I have the "Disk Cleanup" running and in addition to the windows mentioned above, I have a dock icon for "Windows Shell Common DLL" open. I suspect when the cleanup is done that this dock icon will go away....

...and it's gone now that that task has completed.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
  18. Pagemakers

Pagemakers Member

What did you clean up?

19. DanielL2

DanielL2 Bit poster

Parallels is really taking a really a long time to fix this issue. i did not buy Parallels to run Windows in Full Screen mode (as suggested), for that i could have bought another solution. I did buy it so I could use the extensively promoted Coherence Mode that simply does not work with Windows 10. Either fix, provide a due date or attest the incapacity to solve it thus removing the Coherence from the current propaganda and refund us that bought the solution.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2015
  20. KenK2

KenK2 Bit poster

[Update] this stops the start menu, and you can't launch Edge. The VM responds to Actions but you'll never see the start menu. I use one application and quit, so this is still good for me. Hopefully it's a starting place for someone smarter.
    I found a way to forever kill the 'Windows Shell Experience Host' 1. Stop VM. 2. Mount your Windows disk without starting Windows. 3. Rename

1. Shut down your VM
    2. Mount your Windows disk by going to your Documents/Parallels folder, secondary clicking on the Windows.pvm and choose to open with Parallels Mounter. (further directions: http://download.parallels.com/desktop/v6/docs/en/Parallels_Desktop_Users_Guide/27290.htm)
    3. Navigate on the disk/drive you just mounted using Finder go to /Volumes/C/Windows/SystemApps/ and select the folder ShellExperienceHost_something within that folder rename the file ShellExperienceHost.exe . I chose to rename it ShellExperienceHostBad.exe (Remember to have your VM completely shut down before you rename or you will not have permission, if it is only suspended you will need to force quit)
    When Windows starts, it cannot find it anymore.

Aside from adding a one off exception from seeing this and Cortana in the dock as icons, I don't know how they'll fix this.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2015