El Capitan Crashes MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by TrentW1, Aug 6, 2015.

1. TrentW1

TrentW1 Bit poster

I have PD 10 installed on El Capitan Public Beta 3 and a Windows 8 Guest OS. Whenever I open PD it crashes my Mac before it opens. The only thing I haven't tried that has been suggested is to disable USBs on Mac, open it, disable it on PD, then enable them on Mac again. If this is the solution my issue is i don't know how to do that, and everything online seems vague and nothing mentions how to enable USB again. Is this what I should do? If so, how? If not, help please!

2. Bill Standen

Bill Standen Member

TrentW1, what Mac is it? Retina Macbook Pro?

Also, are you crashing when you go to run the VM or does it crash even when you just open the Parallels Control Centre?

3. TrentW1

TrentW1 Bit poster

15" MacBok Pro Retina Late 2013. I think it had it set to open the VM when PD app opens. Either way, I very briefly get the attached image and then my screen goes black, I get the crash press any key error and it reboots. I have a Mac Mini (2012) that it is also on and it does the exact same thing, in fact that's the machine the screen grab is from.

Screen Shot 2015-08-06 at 8.55.18 PM.png

4. Bill Standen

Bill Standen Member

5. TrentW1

TrentW1 Bit poster

Uh oh. Sorry to say but I'm glad I'm not the only one expending that.

Before I waste time... Have you tried saving the .pvm file to an external HD, deleting it and opening Parallels with no VM and/or uninstalling and reinstalling PD before attempting to open?

Also, someone said if I disabled USBs on rMBP it would open, then I could disable USB in PD and enable on rMBP again but I can't find clear directions to try that. Have you tried it or do you have any idea how to disable and enable all USB ports on rMBP.

Thank you so much for all info!

6. Bill Standen

Bill Standen Member

I've tried it from completely clean installs, so no VMs ever created, and hit the same issue.

With the USB issue, I've seen suggestions of disabling the USB on the VMs itself but not on the Mac. The former we can't get to because it crashes, the latter I don't think is possible. At least not easily.

7. TrentW1

TrentW1 Bit poster

Sounds like my luck. Support was remoted into mine for an hour and were at a loss. Two days ago I was told I'd be contacted by tier 2 tech support to schedule a time with them and that's not happened nor will they reply to support emails now... God speed with yours! If something works out let me know and I'll do the same.