Boot Camp not displayed when creating new VM

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by RyanQ1, Aug 15, 2015.

1. RyanQ1

RyanQ1 Bit poster

I am running Parallels and I recently redid my Boot Camp partition to Windows 10, as the update from Windows 7 to 10 failed the first time so I wiped it. I am unable to access my Boot Camp partition via Parallels - when I go into the New Virtual machine options, I only see the two choices - to install a fresh OS, or to Migrate from another PC. The third choice to utilize the Boot Camp partition is not shown.

Is there anything I need to do to get Parallels to recognize my Boot Camp? I'd really like to avoid redoing everything a second time, as everything is working 100% when I am running the Windows 10 partition. Thank you.

2. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi RyanQ1, Boot into the recovery partition, and then choose Security Configuration from the Utilities menu. You can uncheck Enforce System Integrity Protection, click Apply Configuration, and restart and then try this article

3. RyanQ1

RyanQ1 Bit poster

Hi Paul, thanks for the fast response. However, I do not see an option in the recovery console matching your description, as per the attached screenshot. I have also attached screenshots showing Boot Camp is indeed installed and recognized by OS X, as well as Parallels not being aware. 2015-08-15 13.59.39.jpg Screen Shot 2015-08-15 at 2.11.07 PM.png Screen Shot 2015-08-15 at 2.11.36 PM.png

4. Manoj@Parallels

Manoj@Parallels Parallels Support Parallels Support

5. RyanQ1

RyanQ1 Bit poster

Hi Manoj,

I have tried the steps detailed in those two knowledge base articles (including installing NTFS access permissions from Paragon to replace volumes.inf). Unfortunately, this is as far as it gets. Every option I choose - restart, advanced options, etc, either loops back a "restarted" screen, loops back to the blue "log in first" screen, or seems to hang Parallels.

Screenshot 2015-08-15 17.59.41.png Screenshot 2015-08-15 18.07.39.png

Last edited: Aug 15, 2015
  6. RyanQ1

RyanQ1 Bit poster

This is the "restarted" screen I mentioned. Screenshot 2015-08-15 19.05.08.png

7. Dishant@Parallels

Dishant@Parallels Parallels Support

Hello Ryan,
    Could you please try to follow the steps mentioned in this knowledge based article below to configure your Windows virtual machine when you receive the error stating 'You need to log in to Windows'.
    http://kb.parallels.com/116582

8. RyanQ1

RyanQ1 Bit poster

Ok, did that. The terminal output matched the output on the knowledge base article, but this looks a bit worrisome.

Attached Files:

9. RyanQ1

RyanQ1 Bit poster

Still nonfunctional...

10. Dishant@Parallels

Dishant@Parallels Parallels Support

Hello Ryan,
    Could you please Shut down or Stop the virtual machine and then go to Virtual Machine configuration-->Hardware Tab-->Boot order-->Ensure that 'Use EFI Boot' is checked.
    Then try to boot your Virtual Machine to check if the issue still persists.

11. RyanQ1

RyanQ1 Bit poster

Dishant,

It was selected already. I'm still getting that black screen with the EFI-related text and the Shell prompt on it that I posted in the 8th post in the thread.