Windows 10 in native (2880x1800) resolution

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by MartinL2, Nov 29, 2015.

1. MartinL2

MartinL2 Bit poster

I've searched all over, and tried just about every possible combination of settings I've been able to find, and I'm going crazy trying to solve what should be a very simple problem:
    I run Windows 10 in bootcamp in the rMBP native resolution of 2880x1800, with 125% scaling. This works great for me, and I just want the same experience running Parallels 11, but regardless of how I configure "Best for retina", "Scaled", and the various display settings in OSX and Windows 10 I cannot get Parallels to give windows the standard, native resolutions.
    The closest I can get is choosing 3840x2400 (which windows running on Parallels seems to think is native res, since it's listed as "recommended") and setting the scaling option to 175%. It's still not as sharp as when running 2880x1400 in bootcamp, but it's something I can live with.

Why can Parallels 11 not present the native 2880x1400 resolution to Windows? It would seem like the most simple case, to use the native resolution?

2. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hello Martin, you may try this article to fix screen resolution issue in windows virtual machine.

3. MartinL2

MartinL2 Bit poster

Hi Paul Chris, Thanks for your suggestion, but after applying the steps in the article the recommended resolution in windows is still 3840x2400.

4. TS-Micah

TS-Micah Product Expert

@PaulChris@Parallels I was wondering about the resolution size myself. I believe I may have asked about it a while back, but is is odd that the native retina resolution on my MacBook Pro is 2880x1800, but that is the one resolution not available in the drop down box in Windows 10. I have experience modifying driver .ini files etc to enable some resolutions in Windows (for some old monitors with odd resolutions), but that was a long time ago. Could that be the case here? It would be nice to just run Windows in a 1:1 resolution with the MacOS.

Screen Shot 2016-10-24 at 9.47.08 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-10-24 at 9.47.29 PM.png