Parallels 11 - Win7 - USB Trouble

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by ClarkB, Nov 18, 2015.

1. AndrewG6

AndrewG6 Bit poster

I was on the line with tech support yesterday. Problem being escalated. The workaround I have found that works is to disconnect and plug the USB device TWICE. The first time it disappears as you describe but on the second it appears as expected.

Apple have truly buggered up the USB system in 10.11.x which is also causing photographers great pains with Adobe Photo Downloader not recognising the USB connected cameras/loaders.

2. HorstR1

HorstR1 Junior Member

Hi,
    thanks for your answer - this exactly we know. But sorry, we can´t explain our paralegals what to do in the morning to get working their computers, so we
    are strongly reliant for a solution.
    In the meantime i must be at place every morning at 7:00 toget working the computers.
    Did you know, how long parallels take time to correct the behaviour of Parallels 11 ?
    Thanks

3. AndrewG6

AndrewG6 Bit poster

Sorry. The Tech did not give any forecast.

4. HorstR1

HorstR1 Junior Member

Could you inform us, if the tech gives a feedback or a solution ?
    We need realy in urgence a solution !
    Thanks

5. ArjanB

ArjanB Bit poster

For now i have found a working solution in vmware fusion. That software can be used free for 30 days. Hoping that a solution will be found within that time frame.

6. lyopsxt3

lyopsxt3 Bit poster

OS X 10.11.1 with PD 11.1.1 worked correctly. After I updated OS X to 10.11.2 I got the same problem with USB. In my situation I plugged USB 3.0 HDD and USB 3.0 flash drive. I hope Parallels team will solve this problem as soon as possible.

7. HorstR1

HorstR1 Junior Member

Yes that seems to run. I have degraded 12 workstations back to 10.11.1. It was not so easy to get a full version of 10.11.1.
    Now we can wait, how long it will take, until PD will be corrected. Thanks to Apple for this Update. It seems that Apple deliver
    no longer stable and well programmed Updates.

8. Wise87

Wise87 Junior Member

I really hope this is fixed soon. I've been down for two days now. I may have to switch to an alternative if this is not resolved by this week. I am surprised this caught Paralles Team off guard. Do they not test Apple betas? This issues was mentioned during the beta testing.

9. riversde

riversde Bit poster

Same problem here. Waiting for Parallels Team..... o_O

10. MadMellow

MadMellow Bit poster

Same problem here. Just upgraded to 10.11.2 with PD 10.3.0. Thanks for the "replug" workaround. Spend an hour recovering all my devices (HomeSeer) then rebooted to spend another hour recovering again. I'm just following for a resolution.

11. StigA

StigA Bit poster

Same issue here as well, though I can not get it to work by replugging the devices either - they end up disappearing and I have to restart osx to get them back (in osx). Same issue with a WinXP and Win10 virtual machine.

12. Rougement

Rougement Junior Member

No official word on this? What is causing this? ETA for fix?

13. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi, please disconnect the USB device from Mac physically and reconnect it back. The device will become available in the virtual machine.
    To return device connectivity back to the Mac OS, disconnect it from the virtual machine via the Devices menu -> External Devices and check how it works.

14. TinoB

TinoB Junior Member

Have You read all Replies to this thread and other threads for usb problems. If Yes then I can not understand your word.
    Parallels have to react now! The problem is the current Parallels version in conjunction with the last El Capitan update. The users of Parallels can not do something for resolve. Parallels have to make a fix for this. There can no words help. Please do something now!!! I have to work every day. Its not a game to use Paralles. Therefore please no more words please make a fix.
    Everything was said what to say.
    I wrote that for recognizing every usb device must be take out and take in 2 times. Then after a reboot or wakeup from standby the vm can use the usb device.
    The problem is not on user site. Please please understand this now.

15. douglux

douglux Bit poster

Brief (sad) update. Parallels support did a remote session on my mac Friday. After 45 minutes they were able to get the mic to show up and stay connected. I used it for a few hours. Came in on Monday and it was no longer working. The computer (not just the VM) had been shut down over the weekend and I guess that was enough to bring the issue back in.

Parallels support remoted in again this afternoon but was unable to resolve the issue this time. They did mention there is a known issue and they are working on it. No timeframe given.

KB Parallels: Cannot connect a USB device to a virtual machine after the Mac OS X 10.11.2 update

16. Rougement

Rougement Junior Member

Disconnecting isn't an option for me. I work remotely and use Apple Remote Desktop to administer the machines. Bottom line is we need a fix ASAP, I don't like leaving machines unpatched. Can you comment on if a fix will be available for Parallels 10 also? If I have to upgrade every machine to 11 I'll be considering alternative solutions. I'm already far from happy that Parallels has dropped the ball on this.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2015
  17. MadMellow

MadMellow Bit poster

I agree that a fix is needed, but it's not clear who broke what. Apple's support forum as a few threads about USB problems after 10.11.2 -- so it might take Parallels a bit to fix whatever apple broke...besides, Apple is likely to make another change in the middle of the PD fix.

18. HorstR1

HorstR1 Junior Member

That´s a problem of the buggered 10.11.2 version from Apple. (Thanks to them...) Only solution in the moment we have found, is to downgrade all our imacs, macbooks and macmini´s back to 10.11.1 or 10.11.0 El Capitan. For all computers which have been upgraded from another version - no problem. For computers delivered out with 10.11.2, no chance, because Apple denied to boot from an external USB Stick with 10.11.0. It´s a little bit tricky to solve this. After we have disabled all Updates from Apple. All this takes a day and a half of work and thats not really funny !!

After we have made the downgrading, the USB ports under PD are running as before.
    I don´t think Parallels will have shortly a fix, this will take time.

Funny, on 2 imacs we hav had the problems with USB ports also without PD. So the problem has beens brought to us, by Apple Update.

19. ArjanB

ArjanB Bit poster

If it is a problem that is caused by apple, why does vmware fusion still work like it should ? It has the same usb connection option, but no issues there.

20. HorstR1

HorstR1 Junior Member

That´s a good question. I don´t know exactly. And why some Imacs have problems without PD with different USB connection ?
    Probably the booth PD and Apple has delivered out the problems.

I can´t say anything to vmware, the Problem is as i know well known since the beta release, why Parallels hasn´t fix it up since weeks ? Probably Vmware has done this ..