Parallels 8 + El Capitan + Win 8.1 - Failed to open Parallels networking module

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Robert7, Mar 22, 2016.

1. Robert7

Robert7 Bit poster

I recently copied a virtual machine to a new laptop running OS X El Capitan + Parallels 8 + Windows 8.1. When I try to start my virtual machine, I get the 'Failed to open Parallels networking module' and have no internet connectivity on the VM. I searched these forums and found a solution that appears to work for Parallels 7 users but the terminal commands do not work for Parallels 8 (link: https://forum.parallels.com/threads/no-networking-after-upgrade-to-lion.208239/)

Can anyone help me repair this? Was excited to use my new laptop with both OS X/Windows 8.1 but hamstrung by the limited networking.

2. Manu@Parallels

Manu@Parallels Guest

3. Robert7

Robert7 Bit poster

Hi Manu,

The steps in the link did not resolve my problems. I sent technical data with the following report id: 93958598

Issues include:
    1. When I try Preferences>Advanced>Network and try to 'Restore Defaults' I get an error saying "The IP address of the Parallels network adapter has not been changed."
    2. When I go into windows command prompt and check ipconfig /all, I do not see an ip address. When I try to ping a server, I get 'PING: transmit failed. General failure.'

I know the network adapter works because I am writing this post from my browser on the Mac OS X side of the laptop.

4. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Hi,
    The Paralles 9 cannot run on El Capitan, because since that times in Mac OS X the signing of drivers have changed. You need to install the Parallels 11 to have full support of El Capitan.

5. Robert7

Robert7 Bit poster

That doesn't make sense since the other laptop that was running this virtual machine has been running Parallels 9 and El Capitan with perfect network connectivity. Are there any other potential fixes?

Flocky likes this.