No networking after upgrade to Lion

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by KAudsley, Oct 30, 2011.

1. KAudsley

KAudsley Bit poster

Just updated my MacBook Pro (5.2) from Snow Leopard to Lion and get this message when starting my XP VM:
    "
    Failed to open the Parallels networking module.

Your virtual machine will continue to work normally, but the networking will be disabled. You can fix the problem by restoring the default network settings. To this effect, go to Parallels Desktop > Preferences > Network and click Restore Defaults."

Needless to say the restoring the default also fails, see below:

"The IP address of the Parallels network adapter has not been changed.

There was a failure changing the IP address of the Parallels network adapter. The other network parameters have been modified successfully."

Windows reports that the network adaptor is "unplugged".

Re booting back into SL and everything works as it should with no error messages.

Suggestions?

Last edited: Oct 30, 2011
  2. lnemo

lnemo Hunter

The obvious questions first: What is your Parallels version? 6? 7? The latest build? Did yo already try removal/reinstall Parallels on the Mac side and reinstallation of Parallels tools?

3. KAudsley

KAudsley Bit poster

I have version 7, I downloaded the latest build and reinstalled it. Issue remains Boot back into Snow Leopard and networking works.

4. KAudsley

KAudsley Bit poster

And reinstalled parallels tools (again).

5. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Please send a problem report (menu of Parallels Desktop Help -> Report a problem) and post here its number

6. BrianGaiser

BrianGaiser Bit poster

We have this same problem.

the prl kernel extension won't load by hand either.

We uninstalled Parallels 7 (under Lion), booted, reinstalled, booted - same problem with a Win XP virtual guest that worked fine under Snow Leopard.

Help.

7. HananielS

HananielS Bit poster

Same issue as OP

Was in parallels 7 in snow leopard. Migrated using migration assistant. Parallels had a lot of issues with "kexts". So reinstalled parallels and found this issue with networking. Basically network is disabled and going to "preferences -> network -> restore defaults" throws an error: something like "IP address could not be changed" ...

8. HananielS

HananielS Bit poster

Finally after countless parallels reinstalls, two OS reinstalls I have it working. I think migration assistant is messing up parallels - even a simple refresh of the OS did not help. I had to format the disk, fresh install parallels and then move the VMs over. And it just works. Lesson learned - don't use migration assistant. Still parallels should warn users or something..

9. KAudsley

KAudsley Bit poster

As requested, see problem report ID number 10989353.

10. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Please start the /Application/Utilities/Terminal and execute the following command

1) I'd appreciate if you execute the command in order to help us to investigate the issue:
    sudo ls -Real /Library/Parallels/Parallels\ Service.app/Contents/Kexts/10.6/prl_netbridge.kext

and post either here or via forum's private message its output
    note: sudo will ask for your password. Please type it and hit enter (note: typing is not displayed)

2) to solve the situation
    sudo chown -R root:wheel /Library/Parallels/Parallels\ Service.app/Contents/Kexts
    sudo chmod -R 755 /Library/Parallels/Parallels\ Service.app/Contents/Kexts

3) then either reboot your Mac or execute commands
    sudo launchctl stop com.parallels.desktop.launchdaemon
    (wait approximately 10 seconds)
    sudo launchctl start com.parallels.desktop.launchdaemon

11. KAudsley

KAudsley Bit poster

Fixed. Hooray. Thanks very much for your assistance.

12. wildbill

wildbill Bit poster

Had similar problem... now fixed thanks

I wanted to add that I had a similar problem to the one highlighted in this thread.
    The terminal commands given to change file permissions worked for me also. I am grateful.

I am on Lion 10.7.2 running Parallels 7

My sequence was:
    1. I was moving from one macbook air to a newer one
    2. Did a clean install of Lion to a new ssd but then used setup assistant to move user and data from old machine. Did so from a 'cloned' copy of the original hard drive via USB.
    3. When I went to run VM I got all sorts of errors around drivers not working and so forth.
    4. I de-installed Parallels 7
    4. I re-installed Parallels 7 from scratch
    6. I copied a new copy for the VM from scratch to the disk.
    7. Original errors were gone but still I got the network error messages mentioned in this thread.
    8. I found this great forum and executed the terminal commands and voila it works now.

Thanks.

13. Justahack

Justahack Bit poster

Identical issues after installing a new hard drive in my MBP, running P7, OS 10.7.3. The terminal commands worked v. smoothly.

14. rcosby

rcosby Bit poster

no networking after migration to new mac

Thanks as well. I tried completely uninstalling and reinstalling, then ran across this. Worked great!

Thanks!

15. jbkalla

jbkalla Bit poster

Same Issue

I have the same problem:

total 8
    drwxr-xr-x 4 root admin 136 Mar 10 00:49 .
    drwxrwxr-x 7 root admin 238 Mar 10 00:49 ..
    drwxr-xr-x 9 root wheel 306 Mar 10 00:48 Contents
    lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 79 Jan 22 14:15 prl_netbridge.kext -> /Library/Parallels/Parallels Service.app/Contents/Kexts/10.6/prl_netbridge.kext

/Library/Parallels/Parallels Service.app/Contents/Kexts/10.6/prl_netbridge.kext/Contents:
    total 40
    drwxr-xr-x 9 root wheel 306 Mar 10 00:48 .
    drwxr-xr-x 4 root admin 136 Mar 10 00:49 ..
    lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 28 Mar 10 00:48 CodeDirectory -> _CodeSignature/CodeDirectory
    lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 31 Mar 10 00:48 CodeRequirements -> _CodeSignature/CodeRequirements
    lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 28 Mar 10 00:48 CodeResources -> _CodeSignature/CodeResources
    lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 28 Mar 10 00:48 CodeSignature -> _CodeSignature/CodeSignature
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 1641 Mar 5 10:02 Info.plist
    drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102 Mar 5 10:02 MacOS
    drwxr-xr-x 6 root wheel 204 Mar 5 10:02 _CodeSignature

/Library/Parallels/Parallels Service.app/Contents/Kexts/10.6/prl_netbridge.kext/Contents/MacOS:
    total 368
    drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102 Mar 5 10:02 .
    drwxr-xr-x 9 root wheel 306 Mar 10 00:48 ..
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 187440 Mar 5 10:02 prl_netbridge

/Library/Parallels/Parallels Service.app/Contents/Kexts/10.6/prl_netbridge.kext/Contents/_CodeSignature:
    total 40
    drwxr-xr-x 6 root wheel 204 Mar 5 10:02 .
    drwxr-xr-x 9 root wheel 306 Mar 10 00:48 ..
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 161 Mar 5 10:02 CodeDirectory
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 12 Mar 5 10:02 CodeRequirements
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 391 Mar 5 10:02 CodeResources
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 4827 Mar 5 10:02 CodeSignature

16. iamchunts

iamchunts Bit poster

Terminal commands worked perfect for me, too!

17. MichaelWeller

MichaelWeller Bit poster

I just had this issue on Mountain Lion. Parallels was working fine the first day I installed it, but then I had this problem occur. The terminal commands fixed the problem.

18. Saxphile

Saxphile Bit poster

Same issue after using migration assistant (Lion to Lion), and the terminal commands solved it as well.

19. JulesL

JulesL Bit poster

I too had Network problems after using Migration Assistant. I copied and pasted the four Terminal commands as shown above -- and problem solved. Thanks!

20. PierceN

PierceN Bit poster

kudos to the Parallels team for giving us these terminal commands. Spent an hour fooling with this and finally did a google search. First hit. executed terminal commands. problem solved!