Very confussed.

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by JuelzD, Apr 1, 2016.

1. JuelzD

JuelzD Bit poster

I am a new mac owner and I need to run windows virtually, so I would like to use parallels, I downloaded the trial version to see if it was worth the investment and tried to get setup using windows 7 but it is telling me I have to use Windows 10.. is parallels limited to Windows 10 only?

2. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi JuelzD, Parallels Desktop does support Windows 7 as a virtual machine. Please refer to this article to know the list of supported guest operating system on Parallels Desktop 11 for Mac.

3. KrisT1

KrisT1 Junior Member

I finally got parallels virtual machine running. I can say it is worth the headache of getting set up, no more bootcamp!
    The only down side I see currently is Battery life. I can watch it drop like a rock.

I have also experienced a lack of RAM on the virtual machine and can only bump it up to 50% of macbook total..... So I am upgrading Macbooks with more memory. Now my question is; what is the best way to load window on new macbook? should I load thru bootcamp or right thru parallels? Meaning is there a benefit or performance difference on how windows is loaded?

4. Sylvester@Parallels

Sylvester@Parallels Parallels Support

Hello Kris,
    The best way to install Windows on your Mac using Parallels Desktop is given in this article

5. KrisT1

KrisT1 Junior Member

Sylvester, Thanks for articles. While they explain what I already accomplished. My question is if there is a performance difference between different installs. Bootcamp (partitioned hard drive) or just leave hard drive as is and install.
    I do like what parallels does, but there customer service and getting help, is not all that great.

If there is not a "performance" difference, I do understand how to install and get running. Thanks in advance.

6. JuelzD

JuelzD Bit poster

After I made this thread I realised I was not seeing a particular button and managed to install windows 7.. but now you're saying it can't be done.. but I have done it so I am curious now.