Got floppy drive to work but no more

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by SharonP1, Jul 22, 2016.

1. SharonP1

SharonP1 Bit poster

Someone just gave me an old Sony 2X MPF88E floppy drive. El Capitan doesn't recognize this drive anymore and there are no Windows drivers since Win2000/ME. Thing is, it worked beautifully this afternoon, I got all my files off one floppy just fine. But, I haven't been able to get it recognized by Parallels or Windows ever since.

I have a DVD drive that's working fine with the configurations I tweaked, but not the floppy. If it hadn't worked so great for an hour I would just give up, but dang it, I know it works.

So, I've deselected USB 3.0 and verified sharing is Home only. The way the DVD works is the Mac recognizes it first and when I run Windows it disappears from the MAC desktop and shows up in Windows. But, again, from Googling, El Capitan is not going to recognize the floppy no matter what I do.

At a couple of points in all my random trying things, I would get the nice graphic dialog asking if I wanted to open the device in Mac or Windows and if I want to save the selection. I don't get that anymore, even though I've gone into configuration and selected that option. I even went in deselected, went out and reselected it. Nuh-unh.

So, any help would be greatly appreciated. I'd love to get my files from a quarter century ago. The ones I got today were perfect!

2. Arunn

Arunn Parallels Support

Hello SharonP1, connect your floppy drive and follow the steps below:
    1. Turn off Windows virtual machine. Open the Virtual Machine menu Actions (from Mac OS X menu bar) > Configure > Hardware.
    2. Click add button on the bottom of the page ('+' sign) and select Floppy Disk and choose Source as your physical floppy drive.
    Now start Windows and check if your floppy drive is detected.

3. Arunn

Arunn Parallels Support

Additionally, refer to this article.

4. SharonP1

SharonP1 Bit poster

Thanks for this help. I followed your instructions and although it does let me add the floppy (in other words, floppy drive comes up on the drop-down list once I've clicked the add button) it never shows an actual physical drive. When I click on Disconnected in the other drop-down list, no physical drive appears and there is nothing in file explorer.

Ok, I read the add'l info and the problem is that no physical drive is listed in the source field.

It's 2:30am here so I have to go to bed - I'll check back tomorrow...

Last edited: Jul 23, 2016
  5. Arunn

Arunn Parallels Support

SharonP1, please share a screenshot of the Windows file explorer page and Hardware tab, under Configure (which shows 'Source' drop-down ) for Floppy Disk. We will check it for you.

6. SharonP1

SharonP1 Bit poster

Here you go...

upload_2016-7-23_14-37-54.png

7. SharonP1

SharonP1 Bit poster

Rats, just noticed the image didn't go through. I'll try attaching this time rather than cut/paste and cross fingers.

Attached Files:

8. Arunn

Arunn Parallels Support

Sure, SharonP1. Let us know if you are still unable to get it to work.