macOS Sierra running Parallels Desktop 11 supported?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by martmeister, Sep 28, 2016.

1. martmeister

martmeister Member

I have been unable to see if anyone has confirmed if I can go ahead and upgrade to macOS Sierra and be on Parallels Desktop 11. I don't see any mention of support of macOS Sierra with Parallels 11 installed. Do I have to fork out another $50 to use Parallels?

As an aside, I am currently on OS X El Capitan and Parallels 11, running Windows 10 as a vm. And I want to upgrade to macOS Sierra.

Any answers would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
  2. HuwE

HuwE Bit poster

I'd be very interested to get an answer to this too as I have a client with exactly the same setup. Multiple tweets to support have so for not received an answer.

3. RicardoP1

RicardoP1 Bit poster

Same question here. Could someone confirmed if we can upgrade? Thanks!

4. JimG1

JimG1 Bit poster

I think Parallels 11 running under Mac OS Sierra should be fine, but make sure you are running the latest updates on your Parallels 11 since there was a bug or two reported. Here is the link to issues discovered with the Mac OS Sierra and Parallels 11.x. http://kb.parallels.com/en/123840

Updating your Parallels to the latest 11.x update should result in you having a trouble-free experience and no need to purchase Parallels 12.

martmeister likes this.
  5. martmeister

martmeister Member

Nice one. Thanks for the link. I have my fingers crossed.

6. Hi, this configuration is not officially supported. Please check this KB for more info.

7. martmeister

martmeister Member

So basically I must cough up at least $50 to install macOS Sierra on my Mac? Wow. Daylight robbery again for another year, again.

8. KevinClarke

KevinClarke Product Expert

9. KorkyPlunger

KorkyPlunger Hunter

For what it's worth, I have been running version 11 on Sierra ever since the public release of Sierra, because multi-monitor support is totally broken in Parallels 12.

I haven't had any issues so far using v11 on Sierra. I use it all day with 2 external monitors for windows software development using Windows 10 as the guest OS.

martmeister likes this.
  10. GuyN

GuyN Bit poster

"This update for Parallels Desktop 11 for Mac 11.2.2 (32651) addresses overall stability and performance issues, brings support for macOS Sierra as a host or guest OS"
    http://kb.parallels.com/en/123410

martmeister likes this.
  11. martmeister

martmeister Member

Thanks for your responses. I am going to give it a try, possibly this weekend and see how this goes.

12. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

Hi martmeister,
    Parallels Desktop 11 is supported in macOS Sierra. Feel free to reach us for any assistance.

13. martmeister

martmeister Member

I appreciate the confirmation. I guess I am really confused because another Support person said it's not officially supported.

Based on the link you posted it sounds like I should go ahead and proceed. Thanks.

14. Dinesh@Parallels

Dinesh@Parallels Guest

Parallels Desktop 11 for Mac is fully compatible with Mac OS Sierra and you can run without any issues.

15. Harmohan

Harmohan Bit poster

I have Parallel 11. When I update MacOs to Sierra, will it automatically set my current settings in Parallel 11 regarding opening Window 7 with screen resolution etc ?

16. Yes, after update you will be able to use your VM as usual, but may be the Parallels Tools reinstallation will be requested.

17. Harmohan

Harmohan Bit poster

How to do parallel tools reinstalletion afterword ? , I am afraid to upgrade to Sierra as I need to open Window 7 in specified screen resolutions which is already set with the help of your support in past.

18. Karthik@Parallels

Karthik@Parallels Member

Hi @Harmohan you may refer to this article for instructions on how to re-install Parallels tools.