12.1 kills ram allocation >8gb for non PRO version?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by MacSpanner, Nov 11, 2016.

1. Peter9

Peter9 Bit poster

I've just installed the latest update of Parallels to version 12.1.1 (41491) and now I'm told my version doesn't support a virtual machine with more than 8Mb RAM. To do so I have to upgrade to Parallels Desktop for Mac Pro Edition at an additional cost of £34 for a year.
    Is this really the case? I bought exrtra RAM for my iMac so I could run my Windows 10 virtual machine with 16GB, so I'm going to be pretty disappointed if you've changed the specification now!
    Tell me it's not true..?

2. emiko

emiko Member

In France also:
    http://www.macg.co/logiciels/2016/1...ment-un-bug-et-fait-enrager-des-clients-96451
    Des utilisateurs de Parallels Desktop 12 sont furieux et le font savoir abondamment dans les forums de l'éditeur du logiciel de virtualisation.
    (Parallels Desktop 12 users are furious and know it abundantly in the forums of the virtualization software publisher.)

http://macbidouille.com/news/2016/11/25/les-utilisateurs-de-parallels-sont-en-colere
    Les utilisateurs de Parallels sont en colère
    (Parallels users are angry)

In Italy:
    http://www.macitynet.it/gli-utenti-parallels-desktop-arrabbiati-lultimo-update/
    Parallels Desktop 12.1 riduce la RAM alle macchine virtuali
    (Parallels Desktop 12.1 reduces the RAM to virtual machines)

Let the word spread!

Last edited: Nov 26, 2016
  3. AndreasR3

AndreasR3 Bit poster

I don't like this change either. Been using Parallels for Years now and removing features I bought just to get me buying an expensive other version is not what i would expect.

4. ThorstenH1

ThorstenH1 Bit poster

Hi Parallels Company. I'm a good customer since 2011, but that restriction is very negative. If you do not change that and delete the limitations in one of the upcoming versions of Parallels Desktop for Mac, I'm sure that my last order was the last one you got from me. :-(

5. BennettB

BennettB Bit poster

I sent one just fine from Safari. Find a post from Andrew, click on the "Andrew@Parallels" under the Parallels icon and then click on "Start A Conversation" in the popup window.

6. Chomp

Chomp Bit poster

As a user of parallels with my Core I7 Processor, having the ability to use 4 processors or 8 with hyper threading this is shitty news. I recently recommended a few colleagues to purchase this but we will now be switching to VM Ware going forward.

I do not know what they are trying to achieve by making this useless limitation but if its dropping customers, I think they definitely achieved their goal. This is one hell of an early Xmas present for the customers. Maybe on the next release they will limit the VM's to Windows XP operating systems :)

7. DaveE3

DaveE3 Bit poster

Have been with Parallels since v6, but am so disgusted with their shenanigans, that I just paid $36 to switch to Fusion. Am very pleased. Fusion has all the features I need and performance is just as good as Parallels. Tip: Deselecting 'Split into multiple files' and selecting 'Pre-allocate disk space' in the disk settings got the startup and shutdown working just as fast too.

8. emiko

emiko Member

Yup, I confirmed.
    It is good Paralles finally fixed this invisible link problem reported by many useres here including myself.
    I just want to caution about the offer from Paralles.
    Unless they change their mind, the offer consists of one year Pro subscription in exchange of permananent standard license.
    It means at the end of one year period, you have to renew your Pro licence or purchase another standard license with full price.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2016
    NateH1 likes this.
  9. MartinW5

MartinW5 Bit poster

For sure i will go VMware even if it would function worse , i have been using parallels now for more as 6 years and i was never ripped this hard by any other company. These guys are close to criminals i will NEVER use this product of thieves again!
    I hope these paralles thieves will have a VERY VERY bad christmas by customers like me that will move over toward VMware

10. Andrew@Parallels

Andrew@Parallels Parallels Team

Best Answer
    Parallels Desktop 12 for Mac Standard Edition (perpetual license) customers, who purchased the software between its Aug. 18th launch and Nov. 11, 2016 to create virtual machines (VMs) with more than 8 GB of vRAM and 4 vCPUs, can request a complementary upgrade to a one-year Parallels Desktop for Mac Pro Edition subscription by contacting Parallels Support online at parallels.com/support. The Pro Edition, which can create VMs with up to 64 GB vRAM and 16 vCPUs, also includes special features for power users and developers as well as concurrent subscriptions to Parallels Access and Parallels Toolbox for Mac. Parallels apologizes to our customers for any confusion or inconvenience.
    The Standard Edition's limit of 8 GB of vRAM and 4 vCPU per VM has been a public policy since the Aug. 2015 launch of Parallels Desktop 11 for Mac. Recently, on Nov. 11, 2016, Parallels Desktop 12 update 12.1.0 (41489) implemented this Standard Edition policy. The Parallels Desktop comparison chart has been updated to more clearly communicate vRAM and vCPU features to assist people in determining whether the Standard, Pro or Business Edition is best suited to their needs.

11. emiko

emiko Member

You certainly will not miss out anything by switching to VMWare.
    I switched to VMWare and happily using it for more than one week.
    It functions as good as (or even berrer than) Paralles.

12. Nemensi

Nemensi Member

These limitations were NOT mentioned on your comparison chart for Parallels Desktop 12 from August 26, 2016 to November 14, 2016. I have upgraded two licenses from Parallels Desktop 10 to Parallels Desktop 12 in September based on this comparison chart and after testing the trial version of Parallels Desktop 12 in Standard mode. I don't want a one-year Pro subscription, which has to extend every year without becoming void. I have purchased a perpetual license on purpose.

emiko likes this.
  13. emiko

emiko Member

14. DougP

DougP Junior Member

Thank you for the offer and apology, albeit very late. Although I bought the annual update, Parallels 12, a few days after its launch, as usual, and therefore could request an upgrade I do not want one. I recently upgraded to the basic version of VMWare Fusion 8.5 which is a permanent licence and allows me to run my Windows 10 VM with the number of CPUs and amount of storage that I am used to. Windows 10 runs extremely well and I am very happy with the upgrade. You may wish to think about your pricing policy because the upgrade to VMWare cost me just over £25 and I understand that the upgrade from version 8 to 8.5, to make it more compatible with Sierra, was free. It also has free 18 month email support unlike Parallels.

15. HeikkiL

HeikkiL Member

If this was indeed a "public policy", where and when exactly was it revealed to your customers? Why have so many long-time customers (such as myself) been completely unaware of this?

16. StephaneD1

StephaneD1 Bit poster

Hello everyone,
    I migrated to "VMWare Fusion" for 4 days and the finding between the 2 solutions is rather in favor of "VMware".
    Starting and stopping "Windows 10" is a bit longer under "VMWare" but for the rest, I find it faster.
    Ergonomics also suits me more as it makes more sense to me.
    In short, an old user of "Parallels" who migrated to the competition is who is very pleased ...

17. DougP

DougP Junior Member

On an earlier post EWTHeckman said he spotted changes on page 100 and 127 of the manual! I guess in Parallel's eyes that makes it public policy as everyone upgrading should always read the manual ;) The restrictions still do not appear in the version 11, 12 or 12.1 release notes.

emiko likes this.
  18. Steve Reichenbach

Steve Reichenbach Junior Member

I was assured in writing by two different Parallels reprsentatives that I could continue to use my Standard Edition license after the one year subscription to the Pro Edition expired, i.e., that the Pro Edition was not an upgrade but something in the way of compensation.

19. Steve Reichenbach

Steve Reichenbach Junior Member

20. GregG2

GregG2 Bit poster

This is TOTAL BS... I'll try customer service and then my Attorney...