12.1 kills ram allocation >8gb for non PRO version?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by MacSpanner, Nov 11, 2016.

1. MacSpanner

MacSpanner Junior Member

So I accept the upgrade prompt to go to 12.1, machines suspends, does update and when start again.. can not start as more than 8gb ram assigned.. Have to upgrade to PRO version? Can't get in to unsuspend.
    This is either an accident or an unadvertised change that reduces functionality of the previous (12.02) version.
    Anyone else having this issue?
    Is this jus a mistake? Will this be fixed?

Feeling duped!
    Thanks.

2. Andrew@Parallels

Andrew@Parallels Parallels Team

Best Answer
    Parallels Desktop 12 for Mac Standard Edition (perpetual license) customers, who purchased the software between its Aug. 18th launch and Nov. 11, 2016 to create virtual machines (VMs) with more than 8 GB of vRAM and 4 vCPUs, can request a complementary upgrade to a one-year Parallels Desktop for Mac Pro Edition subscription by contacting Parallels Support online at parallels.com/support. The Pro Edition, which can create VMs with up to 64 GB vRAM and 16 vCPUs, also includes special features for power users and developers as well as concurrent subscriptions to Parallels Access and Parallels Toolbox for Mac. Parallels apologizes to our customers for any confusion or inconvenience.
    The Standard Edition's limit of 8 GB of vRAM and 4 vCPU per VM has been a public policy since the Aug. 2015 launch of Parallels Desktop 11 for Mac. Recently, on Nov. 11, 2016, Parallels Desktop 12 update 12.1.0 (41489) implemented this Standard Edition policy. The Parallels Desktop comparison chart has been updated to more clearly communicate vRAM and vCPU features to assist people in determining whether the Standard, Pro or Business Edition is best suited to their needs.

3. DougP

DougP Junior Member

I have the same problem. 12.1 also limits the number of virtual CPUs down to 4 with the standard edition of parallels. I have had to change both the RAM and number of CPUs down and now the virtual machine runs acceptably slowly.
    I didn't see any reference to this in the upgrade documentation and the marketing material still mentions 64vGB etc and doesnt mention virtual memory and number of CPUs as a differentiator between the standard and pro version.
    Hopefully this is a mistake (or early visibility of what is to come) .
    I will have to revert to 12.02 and watch out for future upgrades!

JoelB3 likes this.
  4. EWTHeckman

EWTHeckman Member

I just slammed into this too. This is either the nastiest bait-and-switch I've ever encountered or a really idiotic mistake on their part.

Much swearing ensues.

JoelB3 likes this.
  5. EWTHeckman

EWTHeckman Member

I've been digging around their website looking for someplace where this is documented. It's not anywhere on the comparison of Standard vs. Pro editions, system requirements, etc. I did finally find in one place: Page 100 of the current user manual on their web site. And the number of processors is documented on page 127.

How long has this been the case? When did it change? This is too important to bury on the back of the janitor's bathroom door in the basement of city hall, open only from 2 to 4 AM, on the third planet over!!!

Swearing continues.

patricek and JoelB3 like this.
  6. EWTHeckman

EWTHeckman Member

One more update:

I reverted to the previous version (12.0.2). Its documentation also states that this Standard vs. Pro limitation. But it is not reflected in the actual software at all.

If they had actually stated such a limitation on the web site where the Standard and Pro versions were compared--you know, that point where you are actually deciding which edition to buy--I would have bought the Pro version.

Instead, we got this nasty "Surprise! You suddenly can't work using our software unless you pay us more money."

It feels like fly-by-night ransomeware, not a professional company that we can rely on.

Even more swearing.

JoelB3 likes this.
  7. Aleksandr2

Aleksandr2 Bit poster

JoelB3 likes this.
  8. DominicO2

DominicO2 Bit poster

I just install the latest update for Parallels Desktop 12, everything went great as usual but one of my VM was suspended with 6 CPU configure. After the update, it tells me my license only allow 4 CPU per VM but I cannot get my VM powered on to get out of suspend mode to change the CPU count to 4. So how can get out of suspend mode for editing the VM settings?

Thanks

Attached Files:

9. JayG1

JayG1 Bit poster

SAME EXACT PROBLEM. I can't unsuspend and would have to shut down Parallels in suspend mode in order to change the configuration. BIG SCREW UP Parallels!! You need to fix this ASAP.

JoelB3 likes this.
  10. JayG1

JayG1 Bit poster

Is there any way to revert with Parallels running? Or do I have to kill my suspended Parallels session?

11. JayG1

JayG1 Bit poster

Same problem here. Several others are having similar issues. This bug needs to be fixed!!

12. DominicO2

DominicO2 Bit poster

Do you know how to kill a suspended session ?

13. DominicO2

DominicO2 Bit poster

If nobody comme up with a solution, I will reattach the VM disk to a new VM.

14. JayG1

JayG1 Bit poster

Yeah, I stopped the session, which is essentially the same as unplugging power to your pc while it is running. Not good for it and potentially harmful depending on what apps are running at the time. But in my case, I didn't have any running and I was able to change the Parallels configuration settings and boot back up. But this is still an issue for anyone running the basic Parallels version configured to use more than 4 cpus and/or more than 8GB ram. This bug needs to be fixed!

15. patricek

patricek Bit poster

Seriously?!

I just upgraded in mid flight to this nasty surprise and I am pissed. Not only did we get no warning of the limitation, but the only way to recover is to stop the vm cold which corrupted some of my files. This is the nastiest bait and switch I have ever encountered. I've been running a WIN10 Visual Studio development environment with 6 cpus and 16GB and it throttles me down to 4/8GB asking for more $. PRO supports 16 virtual CPUs and 64GB of Ram.

You must be kidding me Parallels. This has to be a bug...

ct2193 and JoelB3 like this.
  16. HywelJ

HywelJ Bit poster

Just updated parallels this morning and I'm unable to restart my suspended Windows 10 virtual machine because it was set up with 16Gb RAM. A set up I've had for some time. After the update, the standard edition only allows VMs with 8Gb RAM.

I now have two choices:

1. Updgrade to Mac Pro Edition for £34.99 to keep my settings.
    2. Downgrade my VM, but to do this I have to stop the VM and all unsaved data will be lost.

I only upgraded to parallels 12 less than two months ago, so paying an additional £34.99 is a bit of cheek.

Has anyone else had this issue?

Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
  17. MarkM7

MarkM7 Member

I'm assuming this must be some kind of joke ! I've spent hundreds of pounds over the years on Parallels buying each yearly version and I don't expect to lose functionality ! But now it is saying I can only have under 8GB of Memory ?

JoelB3 likes this.
  18. baldrik

baldrik Bit poster

You should not expect to lose functionality, it like someone selling you a car then saying "Oh sorry, I've decided that the engine is not part of the deal", then removing it in the middle of the night. This kind of behaviour is deplorable, unethical and in my country illeagal. Expecting someone to pay more for functionality they have already purchased amounts to extortion.

GregG2 and JoelB3 like this.
  19. JoelB3

JoelB3 Bit poster

This can't be legal!!!! I bought version 12 without limitation on RAM allocation and now after an update on the same product version they put a limit and want me to upgrade to PRO? I am taken hostage!! What is wrong with you people at Parallel. Explain yourself!!!

T.D.K.M and GregG2 like this.
  20. BarryR

BarryR Junior Member

Yep...this is total BS, and after YEARS of using Parallels it is time to maybe take a look back at VM ware. It is inexcusable that a VM configuration that has been working all the way back to at least Parallels 9 or 10 now no longer works after upgrading. Way to go Parallels completely disregarding your loyal customers. You should be ashamed. Whoever is making these decisions at the Senior Management level needs to be fired. This shows complete disregard and contempt for your customers.

GregG2, tornado267 and HywelJ like this.
  21. BarryR

BarryR Junior Member

This is complete BS that a VM configuration that worked all the way back to at least Parallels 9 or 10, AND worked perfectly fine with Parallels 12 up until the latest "Upgrade" is now being crippled for no other reason than to extort additional money from loyal subscribers. This is completely unacceptable, and I will be looking at transitioning over to VM Ware. In the meantime, I've downgraded to the earlier Parallels 12 original release (since that is the only version I have saved on my Mac), and will live with that. Whoever at Parallels that thought this was good idea to screw long term loyal customers in this way needs to be fired. Geeze am I pissed off!!

GregG2 and patricek like this.