Macbook Pro camera not working when running Parallels

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by DavidMartiB, Mar 14, 2017.

1. DavidMartiB

DavidMartiB Bit poster

Dear Community,

I'm running Parallels for Mac 12 (last version) on a Mac OS Sierra (last beta 10.12.4 b6) Macbook Pro and is happening something extrange: If I work with facetime or skype or some app that needs the iSight camera before running Parallels, image from camera is received (green led from camera is on) and the apps are working as expected. Then, if I run Parallels, camera is not working anymore and the green led is off. On any Windows guest, if I try to use the camera, the camera is detected by is not working.

I need to reboot my computer to put camera to work again.

Thanks in advance for your time.

2. Hi, did you try to reinstall camera's drivers?
    And Camera doesn't work on the Parallels side or on the Mac side when you start Parallels Desktop?

3. DavidMartiB

DavidMartiB Bit poster

Hi Maria, thanks for reply.
    I've recorded a short video to show the problem. It begins with my macbook pro restarted. You'll see that I can open facetime and video from the camera is on. Then, I close facetime, open Parallels and when started, I open facetime again. No video from the camera this time. I need to restart my computer in order to use the camera again.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/6ezpmfvjhtbcin5/Parallels_Camera_Problem_Demo.mp4?dl=0

4. YoungheeB

YoungheeB Bit poster

me too..

please solve this problem...

cannot use camera~

5. Karthik@Parallels

Karthik@Parallels Member

6. DavidMartiB

DavidMartiB Bit poster

Hi Karthik, this article don't work for me. The main problem is not use or not of the camera with FaceTime, the main problem is the Macbook Pro camera doesn't work when Parallels for Mac is running, and I can't use it on a guest virtual machine.

Thanks for your help!

7. Swati@Parallels

Swati@Parallels

Please follow the steps as suggested below and keep us posted:
    1. Reinstall Parallels tools
    2. Check this article

8. DavidMartiB

DavidMartiB Bit poster

Hi Swati,
    I've reinstalled Parallels toos and iSight is not working inside my Windows 10 guest. I've uncheched the camera sharing option on guest configuration and guest don't find the camera, so none of the solution proposed are working.

Thanks for your help.

9. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi @DavidMartiB, please follow the steps as suggested below:
    1. Run your VM, start Windows.
    2. Open Device Manager (Start -> Run -> type "devmgmt.msc" and click "OK").
    3. Click Devices in Parallels Desktop menu and choose "iSight Camera."
    4. Check if iSight camera or any unknown device will appear in "Device Manager" after that.
    5. Insert the original installation DVD(Mac OS X Sierra or image) into the DVD drive of the Mac. Connect the disk to the virtual machine by choosing the "Default CD/DVD" drive under the "Devices - DVD-ROM " menu.
    6. Go to Start -> Run. Type "CMD" and click "OK."
    7. In Windows command interpreter type "CD DESKTOP". Press "Enter."
    8. Then type " appleisightinstaller -p". Press "Enter."
    9. iSight driver installation should start after that.

10. DavidMartiB

DavidMartiB Bit poster

Today I've update to version 12.2.0 Build 41591 my Parallels for Mac and this issue is still not fixed.

upload_2017-4-6_8-1-54.png

11. GlennThomas

GlennThomas Member

this still a known issue, it has been with the development team for months.. you can't use your builtin mac camera in both mac OS and your guest operating system at the same time from what I have seen, its either one or the other. Parallels disables your builtin camera as soon as you launch it. this is also a parallels bug. I think I have found a way to my builtin camera to work without rebooting my MAC, if you are interested send me a private email and I willl explain in greater detail..

12. PaulChristopher@Parallels

Hi @DavidMartiB, we are still working on the issue, but at the time there is a workaround: see http://kb.parallels.com/en/124015
    There is a simple utility that restarts the facetime camera and makes it work without reboot of Mac OS

13. PaulChristopher@Parallels

Hi @GlennThomas, in a mean time I hope you can solve this issue by following temporary work around:
    1. Shutdown PARALLELS.
    2. open Terminal
    3. sudo rm Library/Preferences/com.apple.FaceTime.plist
    4. reboot
    And then you can use the built-in camera, but it will disable again after you start again PARALLELS.

14. LeighM1

LeighM1 Bit poster

Is there ANY hope this will really be fixed???

15. PaulChristopher@Parallels

Hi @LeighM1, have you tried the steps mentioned in the previous thread?

16. LeighM1

LeighM1 Bit poster

Unless I am missing something, a work around that you have to do every time you want to use the camera (and you cannot use the camera with Parallels) is really not very useful.

AshleyB1 likes this.
  17. AshleyB1

AshleyB1 Bit poster

I've just updated to Parallels 12.2.1 and this issue is still not fixed. I'm normally very patient but this is testing my limits.
    Could we please have a delivery date on a permanent fix? The workaround is absolutely ridiculous.
    http://kb.parallels.com/au/124015

18. PaulChristopher@Parallels

Hi @AshleyB1, Parallels Team is working hard on the required tweaks to make sure you can use MacBook Pro camera in Parallels Desktop virtual machines. Stay tuned.

19. ShaniC

ShaniC Bit poster

20. MaikoR

MaikoR Bit poster

Having the same issue on my MacBook Pro (High Sierra). Before run Paralles Desktop 10, all my apps that use the camera works well. After run Parallels the camera doesn't work anymore in the apps (Skype, MSTeams, Photo Booth).
    If I'm using the camera on an app like Skype and also start Paralles Desktop, the camera keeps working (light on). But when close skype the camera light keeping on, but if I try to use on skype again doesn't work.