Win 10 Creators - Black Screen on Boot with Full Screen

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Marshall Dunbar, Jul 27, 2017.

1. Marshall Dunbar

Marshall Dunbar Junior Member

Parallels: 12.2.1 (41615)
    Windows 10: Version 10.0.15063

Since the creators update was automatically installed a couple of weeks ago, I have issues booting the Windows 10 VM. I have determined that if I shut down Windows 10 while in full screen mode, the next time I boot, it will show only a black screen. I then have to use the shut down option from the parallels menu and boot again making sure the shut down was done with the VM not full screen. After a boot not full screen, I can place the Windows 10 window back to full screen mode. Needless to say this is very annoying and I did not have this problem before the creator's update installed. Please resolve ASAP.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
  2. Shathish@Parallels

Shathish@Parallels Pro

Hello @Marshall Dunbar We would request you to reinstall the Parallels Tools once http://kb.parallels.com/112609 and also, please run the SFC and Check Disk. Please, open Command Prompt( Click on Windows search bar > Type CMD > Right Click on CMD and select Run as Administrator > type SFC /Scannow once the SFC Scan is completed, please type "chkdsk /f /r" to run the Check Disk and check it helps. Thanks, Shathish

3. WimC

WimC Bit poster

I have the same problem and have submit a Problem ID report for this: 201033923. This happens when running in full screen on a MBP with 2 external monitors.

4. Marshall Dunbar

Shatish - I have performed all the above steps and the problem occurs exactly the same as before.

5. Marshall Dunbar

I am using an iMac with 1 external monitor. I don't know if this problem exists only for those of us with who run full screen on multiple monitors, but perhaps Parallels should test that scenario.

6. Shathish@Parallels

Shathish@Parallels Pro

7. Marshall Dunbar

I performed all the steps in the article to create a new Win 10 VM with the existing HDD file. After performing the steps the new VM will not boot but shows an EFI Boot Failed screen. The old Win 10 VM did not have the EFI advanced boot option checked, so I unchecked it on the new VM and it will now boot up. However the black screen on boot after shutdown from full screen problem still exists on the new VM.

8. Marshall Dunbar

9. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi @Marshall Dunbar, thanks for the suggestion. We appreciate your effort to resolve black screen issue in Windows virtual machine. Thanks!

10. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi @WimC, this issue occurred due to the Windows 10 fast startup feature enabled. You may check out this article to fix the issue and keep posting the results.