Intermittent loss of internet connectivity Windows 8 on Parallels Mac 12

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by MargaretL, Aug 5, 2017.

1. MargaretL

MargaretL Bit poster

Hello, I am intermittently losing my internet connection on my Windows 8 VM in Desktop for Mac Parallels 12. The problem can be fixed with the trouble shooting utility - which says that the "default gateway is not available". This is happening a lot - every 10-15 minutes. How can I fix this?

2. Arun@Parallels

Arun@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi @MargaretL , Please go to Devices > Network > and set Default Adaptor (Bridge) and then please click Actions > Reinstall Parallels Tools and let us know if that helps.

3. MargaretL

MargaretL Bit poster

Hi Arun, Unfortunately, this did not fix the problem. I lost network connectivity again with the same issue. Best, Margaret

4. Shathish@Parallels

Shathish@Parallels Pro

5. MargaretL

MargaretL Bit poster

Hello Shathish,
    The first task in this article is to reinstall Parallels. If I reinstall Parallels, do I need to uninstall first? If I uninstall or reinstall, do I need to reinstall Windows 8.1 and all my Windows software? Or when I reinstall, will it all be there without having to reinstall? I am concerned about losing my Windows applications in this process. Please advise.

Best, Margaret

6. MargaretL

MargaretL Bit poster

A step-by-step guide on how to do this without losing my VM or my Windows software would be much appreciated. Best, Margaret

7. Shathish@Parallels

Shathish@Parallels Pro

Hello @MargaretL Reinstallation of Parallels Desktop will not affect your Windows virtual machine. If you want you can take a backup http://kb.parallels.com/4859 for your virtual machine. Open Finder and go to Application Folder and right click the Parallels Desktop and select move to trash to uninstall the Parallels Desktop. In order to install again download the Parallels Desktop version http://kb.parallels.com/8978, you are using and check.

8. MargaretL

MargaretL Bit poster

Hello Shathish,
    I have completed the steps through Step 4 the first 3 bullet points. I do not know how to do the last bullet point for Step 4, "make sure that in Properties for Internet Protocol v4, Obtain IP and DNS automatically is selected instead of manual configuration". My setting is for Shared Network and I am using Airport wireless. I am still having the problem. Best, Margaret

9. MargaretL

MargaretL Bit poster

Hello,
    I was able to find the Protocol v4 settings, and they are set to automatic. The next step is to disable all firewall and anti-virus settings. I have no idea how to do this! Any advice? Thanks, Margaret

10. Shathish@Parallels

Shathish@Parallels Pro

Hello @MargaretL Please follow the steps
    1. Open the Control Panel.
    2. Click on Windows Firewall.
    3. If the Windows Firewall is enabled, the Windows Firewall state will be On. To turn it off, in the left navigation pane, click on Turn Windows Firewall on or off.
    4. In the Customize Settings window, select Turn off Windows Firewall and click OK and if you have any Antivirus installed, please open it and disable.

11. MargaretL

MargaretL Bit poster

Hello Shathish, I still have the problem. The next step says to restore the default network settings in Parallels. It recommends saving the current network settings. What exactly should I document on the current network settings?
    Best Regards,
    Margaret

12. MaryH1

MaryH1 Bit poster

I have the same problem. Did you solve it?

13. MargaretL

MargaretL Bit poster

It has not been solved - and it is quite a frustrating problem to have!