OpenGL 3.2+ Support

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by ThomasP3, Mar 12, 2016.

1. AdalbertoR

AdalbertoR Bit poster

Today is February 13, 2018.
    Parallels Team, is there an update on this Open GL issue? I am facing the same issues as the users on this forum. Any progress or word of advice? Anticipated thanks for your help on this matter.

Regards,
    A. Rosario

2. MichaelR14

MichaelR14 Junior Member

Advice: Purchase Fusion 10, which will cost as much as a Parallels update, install Fusion 10, backup your Parallels PVM file, open fusion, load pvm file. Problem solved.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  3. AdalbertoR

AdalbertoR Bit poster

MichaelR14,

Thanks for the advice. I wish it didn't have to involve an additional investment. However, given the circumstances, seems like the only choice. How long have you been using Fusion? How does it compare to Parallels besides the Open GL issue?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

4. MichaelR14

MichaelR14 Junior Member

I have installed and seen Fusion back in 2013/2014. Key, as with Parallels, is to correctly configure your settings! The new Fusion 10 allows direct import of PVM, this is much easier than previous versions. I found Fusion quite stable and without issue. What I do not know how well it works with folders kept on the Mac "partition". I also like the remote login for parallels, but that is increasingly a separate product.

5. viola

viola Hunter

This is really crazy. As a developer we NEED this update. We cannot test Steam games in a virtual machine any more and are having to move away from Parallels!

I really don't want to move back to VMware Fusion guys.

6. EivindK

EivindK Bit poster

Seriously, it's been over two years this thread was created and still no solution in sight!? I'm very glad I decided to try the trial version before buying, because there's no chance I'll buy Parallels with such an ancient version of OpenGL.

viola likes this.
  7. iddon

iddon Bit poster

Joining the rest of the comments here - requesting an urgent update to OpenGL 3 at least for Parallels!
    Parallels is currently a waste of my money since working with the latest SketchUP, which requires OpenGL 3.0 minimum, is a professional requirement for me.
    After almost 5 years with Parallels I'd hate to have to move to VMFusion, but at the moment it seems I won't have a choice.
    Last update from Parallels Support in this thread is from JUNE 2016 - can we get an update? What's going on with this feature after so long?

viola likes this.
  8. HellenB

HellenB Junior Member

I even need version 3.3 of OpenGL for the Vasco da Gama software of MotionStudios. I have upgrade this software to the newest version and since then it don't work anymore. I used Parallels for more then 6 years and now I have to move to other software. I hope for an update from parallels to the required version.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
    viola likes this.
  9. ColinH2

ColinH2 Member

Guess what! Parallels 14 is released, and it has OpenGL 3.3.

10. viola

viola Hunter

Worried about taking the plunge - how's it working in this regard @ColinH2?

11. ColinH2

ColinH2 Member

@viola My need was for use with SketchUp, and the SketchUp installer would refuse to install with OpenGL 2.2. Now it didn't complain at all, and the app seems to work well. Honestly, I upgraded to Parallels 14 for its various new features, without noticing that OpenGL had been updated! But I dared to check what version it was on, and was pleasantly surprised.

viola likes this.
  12. viola

viola Hunter

This is exciting. You don't have the ability to try to install an old app like Final Cut Studio 3 (2009) on an older OS release that still supports it do you? I'm really wanting to get past the video issue and would love to find out if it works now.

13. ColinH2

ColinH2 Member

@viola Did you use the right name? Final Cut Studio in 2009 was version 7 of Final Cut Pro, and was a Mac only application. Are you thinking about a different application?

What is the video issue you are referring to?

14. viola

viola Hunter

I mean to run on a macOS GUEST on Parallels 14. If you run an older version of macOS (Yosemite?) you can it. I am wondering if they have improved video support for the macOS guests in this area too.

15. ColinH2

ColinH2 Member

I see, I haven't tried that. How did you get a macOS system image to be a Parallels VM?

16. viola

viola Hunter

Just followed the instructions. I have several versions of macOS running in Parallels from 10.6 forwards.

17. ColinH2

ColinH2 Member

The first instruction was to select a DVD or image file. Where did you get the image file for Yosemite? Or a DVD come to that.

18. viola

viola Hunter

I just had to pull up old images I have. You can also find them floating around @ColinH2.

19. BillyM2

BillyM2 Bit poster

So, its now been three years and several releases of parallels and still no openGL 3.x or newer support, still only 2.1. I'm now dead in the water with parallels because we have recently switched our development projects to "ROS 2" and rviz requires 3.0+ to work :( So sad. I guess I'll have to switch to fusion like all the other uses that are effected by this lack of feature velocity. (BTW, I'm on the latests and greets, Parallels 14 - 14.0.1)

from bash---->

$ glxinfo
    name of display: :1
    display: :1 screen: 0
    direct rendering: Yes
    server glx vendor string: Parallels Inc
    server glx version string: 1.4
    server glx extensions:
    GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap, GLX_SGIX_fbconfig
    client glx vendor string: Parallels Inc
    client glx version string: 1.4
    client glx extensions:
    GLX_ARB_get_proc_address, GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap, GLX_SGIX_fbconfig
    GLX version: 1.4
    GLX extensions:
    GLX_ARB_get_proc_address, GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap, GLX_SGIX_fbconfig
    OpenGL vendor string: Parallels and Intel Inc.
    OpenGL renderer string: Parallels using Intel Iris Pro OpenGL Engine
    OpenGL version string: 2.1 INTEL-10.36.19

20. ColinH2

ColinH2 Member

@BillyM2 I'm using an app that needs OpenGL 3.x, and it runs fine. But that's with Windows 10 64 bit. I can't find a download for ROS for Windows, which makes me wonder if you're using Linux? My Ubuntu install seems to have forgotten me as a user, so I'm installing Fedora to try that.