Parallels Tools & Ubuntu Budgie 18.04

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by 4K-DATA, Mar 18, 2018.

1. 4K-DATA

4K-DATA Bit poster

I need to install Parallels Tools on Ubuntu Budgie 18.04 Desktop
    in Parallels Desktop 13.3.0.. No luck so far. Is it even possible?

2. SebastianB7

SebastianB7 Bit poster

You cannot because the kernel 4.15+ is not supported.

I am already looking towards other Virtualization Options for Mac. Parallels is not a Linux friendly in terms of Rolling Releases or supporting the latest kernels.
    I constantly have issues and there is a very long wait for the updates of Parallels Tools.

MatthewS14 and AlexanderO1 like this.
  3. CarlosG1

CarlosG1 Bit poster

I'm also trying to use Ubuntu 18.04 (updated as of today), but Parallels Tools fail to compile with the following error:

FATAL: modpost: GPL-incompatible module pro_eth.ko uses GPL-only symbol 'sev_enable_key'

The problem seems to have more to do with licensing (GPL vs proprietary) than technicalities, Parallels surely could fix this if they acted in good will to comply with GPL?

4. DarrylB1

DarrylB1 Bit poster

I too am having issues testing the latest releases of Linux OSes, specifically Ubuntu and Fedora, because of these Parallel Tools issues. I would hate to recommend we buy VMWare Workstation or use Vbox instead to resolve this issue.

I am changing my stance to wait and see. I opened a ticket with support that finally got escalated to folks that will hopefully fix the issue. With regression testing I expect this to take a month. If it takes any longer and I may revert to my original opinion.

Darryl Baker
    Sr. System Administrator
    Distributed Application Platform Services
    Northwestern University

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
  5. Dom2

Dom2 Bit poster

I've moved to Virtualbox to solve this - doesn't seem to have any problems with the newer kernels, also found it supports ova/ovf formats. Won't be renewing Parallels..

6. RobertoN1

RobertoN1 Bit poster

I ended up in this thread after searching online for a solution on how to get a minimally decent display resolution of a freshly installed Ubuntu 18.04 (beta 2). After understanding that recompiling the Parallels Tools wouldn't work with the given kernel version, I opted to figure out, if at least using some tricks, I could force X11 to boot into any resolution mode > 800x600. I found that the following solution provided me with a decent and fast graphical output of 1920x1200, which I could then scale down to my MBP 15'' 1680x1050 resolution. I simply added 'vga=0x03e5' at the end of GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT entry at the /etc/default/grub file. After that you have to run update-grub and reboot.

ABRAHAMA and DarrylB1 like this.
  7. ABRAHAMA

ABRAHAMA Bit poster

I changed the line to look like this: GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="vga=0x03e5" in the /etc/default/grub file, ran update-grub and reboot all as root. Thank you very much for this information. It worked on my late 2013 MacBook Pro (15 inch) and I was able to scale down to 1680x1050. Thank you.

GuillaumeD1 likes this.
  8. GuillaumeD1

GuillaumeD1 Bit poster

Worked for me too. Thanks!

9. HakanK2

HakanK2 Bit poster

Thank you!

10. PawelK1

PawelK1 Bit poster

When your mac has a 15,4 inch retina display, you can add
    GRUB_GFXMODE=2880x1800
    to the /etc/default/grub file, than run sudo update-grub, and reboot.

Next you have to find lines in /usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas/org.gnome.desktop.interface.gschema.xml file
    <key name="scaling-factor" type="u">
    <default>1</default>
    and change the scaling factor
    <key name="scaling-factor" type="u">
    <default>2</default>
    than run sudo glib-compile-schemas /usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas, and reboot.
    It worked on my MacBook Pro 15,4 (2017) and your Ubuntu will look more "retina" ;) Good luck.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
  11. ABRAHAMA

ABRAHAMA Bit poster

Thank you. This also worked on my MacBookPro11,3 (Late 2013 model, 15.4")
    I slowed down my cursor speed and changed the size, also changed the Dock icons size and confirmed my resolution settings (
    2880x1800 (16:10) with 200% scale). My screen looks just like "retina"! (even my Brackets editor is working better). Thank you very much.

12. RudolfR2

RudolfR2 Bit poster

JimH5 and RobertoN1 like this.
  13. RobertoN1

RobertoN1 Bit poster

While obviously correct and a quick fix, it's most definitely not what Parallels will be doing. Though, I suspect that GPL'ing their code wouldn't hurt them either, as it's not exactly rocket-science. It might even lower their TCO in the long run. I wonder if product management reads those forum entries.

Thanks anyway for posting the fix for all of us to enjoy.

RudolfR2 likes this.
  14. JimH5

JimH5 Bit poster

RudolfR2 likes this.
  15. RudolfR2

RudolfR2 Bit poster

I agree. I think that they need to work on it to make sure it will work perfectly fine and according to all licensing rules, anyway - it has been few months since new kernel was introduced to public, and that doesn't look very good, although this product is the best one I have used for virtualization for macOS

RobertoN1 likes this.
  16. BillW4

BillW4 Bit poster

Thanks, worked great for me! Did you have to change the licensing to get it to work? Or was there another reason?

17. RudolfR2

RudolfR2 Bit poster

I had to change it to make it work. I'm not a pro in linux kernel, and I didn't wanted to waste more time because of not working Parallels Tools so I just changed it. I believe there is more proper way of fixing that, but having it just working was my primary goal ;))

18. AJ@Parallels

AJ@Parallels

Hi Everyone,
    Parallels Desktop 13 for Mac Update 3 Hotfix 1 (13.3.1-43365) is released and it supports Ubuntu 18.04. Use this direct link to download and install the latest build.

19. DarrellR2

DarrellR2 Bit poster

Using Parallels 13.3.2 (43368) on 5k iMac OS 10.13.6 the Ubuntu Linux upgrade to version 18.04 is stuck at 800x600 resolution with the grayed out menu "Installing Parallel Tools...", I've restarted & rebooted with no luck, I've checked for updates. Now what do I do? It was all running so well until I clicked on upgrade. I think it got stuck last night when I used the fast user switching on the mac while it was running? The "virtual CD" with the installer is not mounted as far as I can tell.

20. xianyou

xianyou Bit poster

thanks very much, it works on my MacBook Pro 15,4 (2015) too.