Monochrome option for Parallels icon in menubar

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac Feature Suggestions' started by KevinU3, Dec 11, 2017.

1. KevinU3

KevinU3 Bit poster

Because the Parallels icon is red, it stands out quite a bit in the menu bar (see attached image). Any chance Parallels could use a monochrome icon in the menu bar (or allow the user to configure the color of the icon used for this purpose)?

Hiding the icon is an option, but I would prefer to have an icon in the menu bar -- just wish it was a bit more subtle.

For reference, this is with a trial version of Parallels Desktop (13.2.0).

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
  2. BoukeH

BoukeH Bit poster

Yes I would welcome such a "feature" very much. I put quotes around feature because I don't think it's a feature, but rather a bug, oversight or plain ignorance. The menu bar has only black / white (depending on light/dark style) icons on them. Parallels must be aware of this, knowing the platform obviously better than most of us. However you're forcing your corporate identity in our zen menu bar anyway.

bertboot likes this.
  3. bertboot

bertboot Bit poster

Indeed. I have a LOT of icons on my menu bar. The vast majority is monochrome. Two were in color, and have been set to monochrome by me. The Parallels icons in the menu bar (Parallels and Parallels toolkit) are the only ones that remain annoyingly distracting in RED. It surely is no rocket science to either change them to monochrome (as they should have been), or include a monochrome option. Or am I missing something here??

JorgeB5 likes this.
  4. Fernando Afonso

Fernando Afonso Bit poster

Please, a monochrome icon is needed!

JorgeB5 likes this.
  5. PeterA23

PeterA23 Member

I LOVE the red Parallels icon in the menu bar!

6. JorgeB5

JorgeB5 Junior Member

As seen with the Parallels ToolBox menu bar icon (Menubar icon to be black) please do the same with the Parallels Desktop icon as well, offer an "opt out" option

7. Stuart7

Stuart7 Bit poster

I echo the sentiment... a monochrome menubar icon (or option to select color) would be ideal.

JorgeB5 likes this.
  8. PeterA23

PeterA23 Member

I prefer the red icon: upload_2022-4-2_23-33-54.png

9. StuartR5

StuartR5 Bit poster

That's nice. I'm glad for you. Others (myself included) would prefer something less garish.

JorgeB5 likes this.
  10. PeterA23

PeterA23 Member

COLOR is a piece of INFORMATION. I like information.

11. JorgeB5

JorgeB5 Junior Member

Indeed, and that s where our concerns are aligned, the menu bar icon needs to provide us with more information trough colors, one monochrome when Parallels has nothing special to report and other colors to notify us when something is happening, like a defined activity or a state like an error occurring.

For example that s TripMode (an app that helps with data plan) one monochrome icon in the menu bar when nothing is happening and a red one when it is blocking apps[​IMG] [​IMG]

12. JorgeB5

JorgeB5 Junior Member

icons like these

Attached Files:

13. PeterA23

PeterA23 Member

What should that activity be?

14. JorgeB5

JorgeB5 Junior Member

Like Updating Client OS, Backing Data Up, Making a Snapshot, In Need of a Restart (it's also a status) and more things I don't remember immediately...
    And a monochrome icon when nothing special is occurring like idling, awaiting

15. PeterA23

PeterA23 Member

How do you want to configure all that?

16. Excelmate

Excelmate Bit poster

??? Surely this is completed, as I now have a monochrome icon in the toolbar.

JorgeB5 likes this.
  17. JorgeB5

JorgeB5 Junior Member

Wohoo indeed ! thanks to Parallels, I got the good icon after updating the app :)

Attached Files:

Dmitry@Parallels likes this.
  18. Dmitry@Parallels

Dmitry@Parallels Parallels Team

Thank you so much for your feedback, everyone. Indeed, the menubar icon design has been updated in Parallels Desktop for Mac version 18.