Map right alt key

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac Feature Suggestions' started by JohanN1, Apr 24, 2017.

1. JohanN1

JohanN1 Bit poster

I would really like if you could make a difference between the left and right Alt-keys when mapping keys. In Swedish keyboard layout you must use the right Alt-key to typ [] {} | \ and some other chars common in programming. I prefer the the OSX-way of doing them, but can't map them in Parallels because it sends a left Alt-key instead of right.

2. HenrikN

HenrikN Bit poster

Hi
    I have same issue on a danish keyboard layout. My preference is the Windows keyboard layout. You may be able to map the macOS alt key to the Windows AltGr key. That setup allowed me to type the @|{}[]\ keys at all! But then again I'd rather use the Windows layout (motor memory?).

3. David32

David32 Bit poster

Also the right command key.

4. TimmyL1

TimmyL1 Bit poster

This was really annoying, but I've found a functional fix for this.
    From your VM preferences (CMD+,), go to Shortcuts and then select your virtual machine. From there you can add new shortcut mappings. Simply click on the plus-sign and in 'From:', type 8 and click-select Shift and Alt. Similarly in 'To:', type 8 and click-select Shitft, Ctrl and Alt.

Screen Shot - Map Curly Brackets.png

5. ColinL3

ColinL3 Bit poster

Hi Timmy - can you elaborate on this solution?
    We have friends encountering issues with German and French keyboards where option/alt function is unreliable.
    Where did you figure out the keystrokes differences?

6. skyhidev

skyhidev Bit poster

Can't figure it out?

7. AlM5

AlM5 Bit poster

I wanna say that I am feeling some trouble to use a Swedish keyboard.
    Does anyone know how I can get @ to line up with what is printed on the actual keys - alt+2 or cmd+2?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2019
  8. AlM5

AlM5 Bit poster

it was really annoying.
    Does anyone know how I can get @ to line up with what is printed on the actual keys alt+2 or cmd+2?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2019
  9. AlM5

AlM5 Bit poster

it was really annoying.
    Does anyone know how I can get @ to line up with what is printed on the actual keys alt+2 or cmd+2?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2019
  10. mcgroarty

mcgroarty Member

Ideally, I think this should be implemented as a general "Remap Modifiers" preference in the keyboard section. Parallels could steal the design for the macOS modifier dialog in keyboard preferences, but add differentiation between left and right versions of the modifier keys.

This issue has renewed importance with Windows 10 treating left- and right-Alt differently when using Alt+Tab. Unfortunately, remapping a key to Alt/Option in the macOS dialog always remaps to Right Alt. This means a user who uses a PC keyboard on the Mac and swaps Win and Alt with this dialog can only send Right Alt to Windows 10. This makes the regular Alt+Tab behavior inaccessible without Windows registry hacks.

BrunoR4 likes this.
  11. BrunoR4

BrunoR4 Bit poster

I use an external USB keyboard with windows keycaps, and to invert the position of 'Alt' and 'Window' keys on macOS I have to use Karabiner Elements.
    The remap using macOS system preferences -> keyboard -> modifiers key don't work as expected because macOS only remap only the right side keys.

12. BrunoR4

BrunoR4 Bit poster

I discovered that macOS remaps the Command and Alt correctly, inside Parallels VM with Ubuntu the Left keys are ignored.

13. PeterA23

PeterA23 Member

I second this request. With my German keyboard layout, I am used to have the Right-Alt (Alt-gr) key support. The Right-Alt key can in many cases can be emulated by pressing CTRL+ ALT/cmd, but the support of the Right-Alt (Alt-gr) key is a must for international keyboards!

14. JanekB

JanekB Bit poster

After some workaround I found a solution:
    In Windows: Einstellungen -> Zeit und Sprache -> Sprache -> Optionen -> Tastatur hinzufügen Deutsch (IBM) QWERTZ
    In Windows: Geräte -> Eingabe -> erweiterte Tastatureinstellungen -> IBM auswählen und Achtung! nicht zulassen, dass für jedes APP-Fenster eine andere Eingabemethode verwendet werden kann, sonst wechselt Parallels immer zurück auf die Apple-deutsch-Parallels-Tastatur
    upload_2021-3-18_16-1-33.png
    In iOS: Einstellungen für Parallels Desktop -> Kurzbefehle -> VM -> Tastenkombination für AltGr definieren
    upload_2021-3-18_16-1-44.png
    Fertig!

15. PeterA23

PeterA23 Member

So weit bin ich gekommen: "In Windows: Einstellungen -> Zeit und Sprache -> Sprache"
    aber "Optionen" habe ich dann nicht gefunden.

16. JanekB

JanekB Bit poster

upload_2021-3-18_22-43-38.png
    hier unten einmal auf die entsprechende Sprache klicken, dann wird die Schaltfläche Optionen sichtbar:

upload_2021-3-18_22-43-45.png

Attached Files:

17. PeterA23

PeterA23 Member

Danke, jetzt hab ich's gefunden. Leider ist alles wie bei Microsoft mehrdeutig und unlogisch.

18. Dmitry@Parallels

Dmitry@Parallels Parallels Team

Hi everyone, I am happy to let you know that we have just released a new Parallels Desktop version 17 where we've improved our keyboard shortcuts remapping, so you can now remap Alt to AltGr and it will work in Windows virtual machines! See what's new in this release: https://www.parallels.com/products/desktop/whats-new/

19. mcgroarty

mcgroarty Member

Does Parallels 17 also allow one to explicitly map to left-alt? I think that's what would be needed for this issue.

20. Dmitry@Parallels

Dmitry@Parallels Parallels Team

Unfortunately, this is technically not possible as the MacBook keyboard sends the same signal when pressing left and alt Option keys, so there is no way to distinguish these two buttons.