[Licensing] Use one license on several personal computers

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac Feature Suggestions' started by RyanM8, May 31, 2017.

?

Easy to use facility to switch license between computer systems

1. Yes, great. need one

162 vote(s)
    94.2%
  2. No

10 vote(s)
    5.8%
  1. GregWaterloo

GregWaterloo Junior Member

ditto. Allowing a single simultaneous instance, no matter which computer it is running on would be very welcome. The value of the software comes from actually running it, so if it can only run one instance per license but have it installed on multiple macs, that would be great.

DirkM15 likes this.
  2. æsc

æsc Bit poster

I just bought an iMac Pro. Now that I don't have any money left in my piggy bank, I am currently weighing the costs of virtualization on my new computer and my old laptop. I have some VMs I'd like to keep handy on my laptop. But I also have a powerful desktop just waiting for me to find out how many VMs I can start at once. I want virtualization on both my computers. I just wanted to let you know you're about to lose another customer to VMware.

3. TAHARVEY

TAHARVEY Junior Member

This isn't a feature request, this is a loss of feature complaint. I've used Parallels for 10 years. It is now 1 license = 1 computer AND annual $99/year. Sorry I'm done. VMWare is less money, more computers, no subscription. And on the low end, VirtualBox is free. After all, everything but the GPU is provided by the native hypervisor.

I'm leaving.
    EDIT: I did it. I bought my first copy of VMware. Don't think I'll come back

Last edited: May 7, 2018
    IKR likes this.
  4. SchroedersKater

SchroedersKater Member

I agree with this thread. Nobody here wants to abuse his/her license, but many of us have a desktop plus a MacBook which we don't use at the same time. Bind the license to the user, not the computer, otherwise many of us will switch to VMware as well. Even M$ doesn't show such a restrictive behavior.

DirkM15 and MichaelG9 like this.
  5. clearcss

clearcss Bit poster

As a developer with the same situations as posted here, please allow 1 Desktop 1 Laptop license. I mainly see developers use parallels on laptops who wish they could also use it at home on their powerful machines. Not simultaneously.

SteveB17 likes this.
  6. jvh

jvh Member

Sadly I have 3 licences for my 3 Macs I own and use ...
    But Parallels allowed me the licences to be update ones, so not at the full price.

THX a lot for this.

7. ForrestJ

ForrestJ Bit poster

I have purchased Parallels back as far as version 4 and up through version 10. I just purchased the annual subscription. I wish I had known Fusion was more reasonable with its use policy on more than one computer. I would not have purchased Parallels again had I known that Fusion had a more reasonable policy for personal users. And when this year's subscription ends, I will well more than likely switch to a different product. I would cancel the 'subscription' now except of course there is no refund and I would be throwing the money away. Please be on notice, Parallels, that 'once bit twice shy' applies. I will simply cease being a customer.

8. CalebJ

CalebJ Bit poster

I logged in only to join this chorus.

I do curriculum development on Macs, in the always far, far superior Windows version of Microsoft Word.
    I pirated my first version of Parallels 3 from TPB, and then bought Parallels 4 when it first came out for stability and updates and because it was such an improvement over version 3. I have bought every upgrade through version 12.

Once upon a time having a license key meant you could install Parallels on up to 5 computers, then it was 3, and now it's 1 with Parallels 13. I've worked with the dwindling license versus installs situation by not upgrading some computers or not upgrading the versions of Parallels running on them. At this moment, I have Parallels 12 on three Macs, Parallels 11 on another, and Parallels 10 running on a laptop I hardly ever need.

I won't be purchasing version 13 at the price offered just to use the software on only one of my production machines. How could I even choose which machine? The one at work where I push final documents, worksheets, and textbooks? The one in the company housing where I tinker during the week? Or the one at home where I often work through a weekend right up to a deadline?

The simple answer is to avoid this and not choose to buy Parallels 13. If I need new software on more than one computer, then I will buy from your competitor or take my family out to dinner instead because buying a single use license for software that is needed on more than one computer is a waste of money.

I have been using Microsoft Office 2003 for more than 10 years and last week I purchased an Office 365 subscription because MS Office 2003 is starting to slowdown my workflow. My new Office 365 subscription lets me install what I need to get work done, inside Parallels 12, on all 3 of my production Macs, and any number of phones, tablets, or other devices. It does this for not much more than the cost of a full, single use Parallels license. That's a good deal, and one which convinced me to start moving away from 15 year old software. Parallels versions 5 through 12 still work just fine too, so I expect I'll get around to eating the cost of a new Parallels license in about 2033. See you then.

IKR and cam217 like this.
  9. ForrestJ

ForrestJ Bit poster

Maybe that's the tack I should take: just drawn down on the last purchased (Parallels 10) and use it. They lead you to believe that if you upgrade your MacOS, you have to upgrade your Parallels, too. In fact, they kind of beat you to death with warnings and reminders. If that isn't the case, why am I beating myself up over their overly restrictive licensing? And yes, my history with them still shows a 5-user license for Parallels 10 (and all the ones I bought before that).

10. clearcss

clearcss Bit poster

My dilemma is also ending as well. My subscription ends in September and I will no longer renew if I cannot use it on my laptop and imac.

11. AndyF1

AndyF1 Bit poster

I switched to VMWare as well because of this exact reason.
    Personally I like Parallel's approach, but it isn't worth the double (or even triple) price compared to Fusion. But I think they won't change that policy unless there are enough people opting out of this license-model.

12. RussellM2

RussellM2 Bit poster

+1 on the sentiment here. I've already started purchasing alternative solutions for new developers in our company since many of them have multiple macs. I've now started leaving my 15" laptop at work most days of the week, and am happy using an older 13" that I keep at home for my work-at-home days and any evening work... and I've found myself here. so, @parallels.. what you gonna do, and how soon?

13. TimP4

TimP4 Bit poster

Same thoughts here. I just returned my copy of Parallels today rather than upgrading to Pro and bought VMware Fusion 10. Won't be paying $100 / year for each computer. Not when VMware is on sale for $63 perpetual license.

cam217 likes this.
  14. sean_onyx

sean_onyx Bit poster

I've used Parallels desktop from version 3 up to and including version 13. Parallels can check my account email to confirm this if they like. It's a nice product but the licensing hasn't kept up with the times. I have a desktop and a laptop. I want to be able to work on both without messing around transferring licenses and eventually locking myself out. To do that I need two licenses, or I can go with VMware which is now more than good enough and which allows me to do exactly what I'm after. They even offer a discount if you can show you have a valid Parallels desktop license. It's too late now and you've already lost a customer but I thought I'd offer feedback that it's not necessarily because of your product that you're losing customers; it might also be because of your licensing policy.

cam217 likes this.
  15. clearcss

clearcss Bit poster

So version 14 just came out with same licensing model, only one computer. Guess what @parallels, i just cancelled my pro subscription. I'm going to vmware.

16. StephenC9

StephenC9 Junior Member

I'm struggling to understand some of the comments here. I have a Pro licence for two computers (my iMac and MBP) and it costs £66 pa. I started with a one-off purchase at v7 and paid for upgrade each year until v11, when I switched to the licence. I've long been against the subscription model, preferring perpetual licences but, with MacOS being updated annually, I don't think it's unreasonable to have to pay to keep Parallels in step. I don't use all the features but neither do I do that with my Office365 and Adobe subscriptions (which are both dearer than Parallels).
    I'm not saying Parallels are perfect - far from it. I was disappointed when Parallels was slow adding compatibility for the latest Linux kernel a while back; I tried VB - it worked but was harder to get working than Parallels (and wasn't as seamless). I also looked at VM and was tempted but, in the end, Parallels does all I need it for, it works almost seamlessly, and my time switching to a new package is worth more than the small annual saving.

17. clearcss

clearcss Bit poster

Both Offfice365 and Adobe, which I subscribe to as well, allows you to install it on more than one computer with just that one subscription license. For me it's my home computer when i'm home, and my laptop when i'm on the road. Parallel's pro license does not allow you to do that. It's only on one computer at a time. You will need to deactivate and reactive to get it to work on another machine. I think if they take the same licensing model as adobe, parallels would be more palatable.

18. StephenC9

StephenC9 Junior Member

As I said in my previous post, my subscription covers 2 computers for £66pa - which doesn't seem excessive to me. I took that out when I realised that it was going to be cheaper than separate licences if I wanted to keep everything up to date and fully patched.
    Adobe charge more for running Lightroom on 2 computers (and no longer have the option for a perpetual copy). I'll agree that Office365 seems better value as for little more I get 5 licences (and use them all on my Macs and VMs).

19. LeoM2

LeoM2 Bit poster

I teach commercially. The classes are mixed with Windows and Mac users. Therefore I use a Mac with Windows emulation. I prepare on the desktop and present (project) via a laptop by cloning the desktop. What a pain, nay -- INSULT by Parallels towards its clients -- that I'm forced to login and switch licence every time before beginning a class. I demonstrate the virtues of Parallels to all my students, therefore acting as an unpaid defacto sales rep. Judging by the lack of response to this long running and very reasonable request, this will be my last act of good will towards Parallels -- to simply let them know that when this license expires, I'll be switching to vmware, unless they allow the use of two computers by then. I used vmware very successfully at the same time as Parallels in the past. I dropped the license for vmware to save money. But they are equally suitable emulation solutions. Parallels appear to ignore these forums, therefore it's a foregone conclusion: vmware here's my money next time round. I'm actually using only one instance of Parallels at any one time. Please consider your unreasonable and greedy licensing policy. In my view it destroys good will and shall cost you in the long run.

Pyrrho and cam217 like this.
  20. TyN1

TyN1 Bit poster

I would like to express my concern over the licensing policy as well. I really don't like VMware but I will be using their product if they offer single user, multi-machine use on a single license. I recommend that Parallels offer a solution that at least allows a pro user to use a license on all their computers as long as it isn't simultaneous use. I'm sure they already know they can do this by automating shifting the license from machine to machine when Parallels is starts up.