Problem accessing git repos on shared folders: prlfs_release returns error (-22)

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by Bex, Aug 24, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Bex

Bex Bit poster

I'm having problems accessing git repos in a folder I'm sharing from my macOS host (accessing it via /mnt/psf on openSUSE Leap 15). I've noticed it mostly with Git repos, where for example a "git clone" terminates with a bus error, and a "git pull" exits with "error: fetch died of signal 7".

The kernel log (dmesg) shows the following errror:

prlfs_release returns error (-22)

I'm guessing it's a similar problem to that reported a few years ago in https://forum.parallels.com/threads...git-on-filesystem-shared-from-windows.315010/ ?

VaclavS likes this.
  2. ChristianW8

ChristianW8 Member

I have exactly the same problem

3. VaclavS

VaclavS Junior Member

Same here. Unrelated to git here, seeing when doing parallel compilation, i.e. heavy filesystem access. Started happening when I upgraded to Parallels 14.

4. StephenR8

StephenR8 Junior Member

I believe I'm seeing the same issue via the vagrant provider. Changes on the host system are not reliably seen by daemons in the guest until I restart the guest VM.

Restarting the daemons does not work, and annoyingly, interactive programs called from a shell (e.g. `less` or `grep`) in the guest *do* see the correct version of the file, while daemons see odd half-changed files (possibly caused by auto-save on the host?).

I'm going to go look for/file a support request, and probably downgrade to v13 for now.

5. ChristianW8

ChristianW8 Member

Is there a way to downgrade in a safe way? I have snapshots distributed over 2 weeks that I must not lose. It is very annoying that Parallels tells me that there is no disc space on my MAC while I have more than sufficient.

6. UgoV

UgoV Bit poster

Same here... after updating to Parallels 14 I get the same error in the dmesg.

If I try to open with gedit a file without extension (ex. Dockerfile) I get the following error:

$ gedit Dockerfile
    ** (gedit:11042): WARNING **: 01:46:13.727: Hit unhandled case 13 (Error reading from file: Invalid argument) in parse_error.

If I rename the file, for example:
    mv Dockerfile Dockerfile.txt
    I can open that file, and the dmesg doesn't print the kernel: prlfs_release returns error (-22) error
    the problem seems related to MIME-TYPE handling.

Kind regards

7. GerardR2

GerardR2 Bit poster

Same error here, I can clone a git repo in a shared folder. All worked fine yesterday in Parallels 13. I upgraded this morning to v14 and error:

prlfs_release returns error (-22)

Is there a safe way to revert to v13?

8. VaclavS

VaclavS Junior Member

To revert to v13, just download it and install it (shut down your VMs first; they need to reboot after downgrade). Been doing that every year, always for reasons like this, and did it that way this morning from v14 to v13 .

I also filed a support ticket (#2537759) with Parallels yesterday, but so far got back only useless boilerplate. It's going to take significantly more reports to be taken seriously, apparently, so anybody affected who didn't file a support request yet should...

GerardR2 likes this.
  9. JakeS6

JakeS6 Bit poster

This breaks far more than just git for me. I thought my IDE was causing file corruption at first then noticed a lot more was breaking.

10. StephenR8

StephenR8 Junior Member

I can confirm downgrading to v13 (just download and reinstall as mentioned) solves the problem for me too.

I didn't find anywhere to file a support ticket yet (got as far as contacting support via Twitter, and got a "can you screenshot the problem" response) but I'll look further now.

11. wenrul

wenrul Bit poster

me to

12. AlexanderT3

AlexanderT3 Bit poster

I have the same problem (-22) and as well resolved it by downgrade back to 13. I'm waiting someone from Parallels to confirm the problem.

13. StephenR8

StephenR8 Junior Member

I've been talking with Parallels support via Twitter, and have sent two "Technical Data Report"s (one when the problem occurs in v14, and one when it doesn't in the same situation under v13). They've said they're checking on it, and will respond 'shortly'.

bpeter likes this.
  14. StephenR8

StephenR8 Junior Member

Six days later I've heard nothing back. I've asked for an update.

GerardR2 likes this.
  15. VaclavS

VaclavS Junior Member

Over a week later, and after a bit of complaining, I got a ticket-closing (!) reply from them -- finally, after a week, they actually filed the bug with developers. Translation: duly noted, we'll fix it at some point in the future, with "appropriate" (not so much, apparently) priority:

Thank you for your patience and cooperation while we are working on the resolution.

We have escalated the issue you reported to the Development Team and they are working to address it in one of the future builds of Parallels Desktop for Mac.

To enable automatic updates, from the Parallels Desktop Menu, select Preferences > General > Download Updates Automatically.

While we do not have ETA for the fix, it has been prioritized appropriately and you can track the changes in the product at the corresponding knowledge base article page:

- Parallels Desktop 11 for Mac updates summary: http://kb.parallels.com/123410
    - Parallels Desktop 10 for Mac updates summary: http://kb.parallels.com/122720

We will create a new ticket should we have an update or more questions for you.

Thanks for reporting this problem - though honest feedback, good or bad, we are able to provide better products and services to all members of the Parallels Community.

16. JakeS6

JakeS6 Bit poster

I must confess I have not raised a bug report yet but that response is not very satisfactory and I certainly will raise a proper report now. It is easy to replicate, I consistently get it on my virtual machines. It breaks them in such a way unless I were to change my entire development setup I can't upgrade until it is fixed. Not good at all.

17. StephenR8

StephenR8 Junior Member

I've had a followup from support also:

Thank you for contacting Parallels Support.

From our Twitter conversation, I understand that you are having issues with Vagrant after updating to Parallels Desktop 14 for Mac.

Since the issue requires a deeper investigation, I am passing your ticket to our next level of support who will follow up with you on your request directly.

Thank you for your patience and cooperation while we are working on the resolution.

18. RTM:ITW

RTM:ITW Bit poster

Same problem here.
    It works "most of the time" if you select only 1 CPU for the guest system. Of course this is far from a real solution.
    I hope this gets fixed soon

19. ChristianW8

ChristianW8 Member

Downloaded and installed the new Version 14.0.1 (45154) and still the same problems. One of the problems is that the snapshots can not be created. Sometimes works and sometimes not. Could anybody test that version and see if just me has the problem for snapshots not working?

20. AlexanderT3

AlexanderT3 Bit poster

In my case (-22) bug is fixed in version 14.0.1 (45154).