Paralllels 10 breaks git on filesystem shared from Windows

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by GGulik, Aug 26, 2014.

1. GGulik

GGulik Bit poster

Something changed about how the Windows guest filesystem is shared to the MacOS host.
    I do Windows development on a Windows 7 guest which contains a local git repo. I have always been able to use git commands on the same repo in a Terminal window on the Mac in the past.

After upgrading to Paralllels 10 earlier today I now get errors with almost all git commands, for example "git log" shows:

error: unable to open object pack directory: .git/objects/pack: Permission denied
    error: unable to open object pack directory: .git/objects/pack: Permission denied
    fatal: failed to read object fbea173dbbb00bcd3ef35c7b3fcf10a0c959eac4: Permission denied

Any suggestions on how to resolve that, other than downgrading to Parallels 9?

Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
  2. nilzen

nilzen Bit poster

Same issue for me and my colleagues, I have opened a support issue but no relevant answers yet.

3. HÃ¥kanE

HÃ¥kanE Bit poster

I'm also experiencing the exact same thing after upgrading to Parallels 10. I use git extensively from Mac to my Windows 8 virtual machine.

4. fngood

fngood Bit poster

Same problem, although initially after installation I got the permission error a few times and then was able to use SourceTree with no issues until I closed SourceTree and since then have not been able to get past the permission issue.

5. CosimoL

CosimoL Bit poster

I know it may sound weird, but here is how I managed to temporarily fix this issue:

I simply change directory to the git's 'pack':

then list its content

and finally `cd ..` back to where I was initially.

Running `git status` the warning is no longer there, and I can then commit and push, etc.

I noticed however that if I restart my mac, the warning comes back and I need to redo the above mentioned procedure to make it work again.

Do you know why this is happening?

6. GGulik

GGulik Bit poster

Thank you so much for that workaround.

I can't see how it could possible work but it seems to resolve the problem for me too.
    Hopefully Parallels can correct this problem soon.

7. fngood

fngood Bit poster

Great detective work! Works like a charm on all my repos. That must be how I got mine to work before I rebooted and lost the "fix".

In SourceTree on the Mac you can use the "Terminal" icon in the menu bar and from that use the 'cd' and 'ls' commands as CosimoL suggests. I tried the same approach using Finder but it doesn't seem to work so make sure you use Terminal.

8. Ryan1

Ryan1 Bit poster

Anyone at Parallels care to add to this?
    I have the same problem. It's incredibly frustrating.