Hard Disk Errors While Deleting Snapshot

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by danfratamico, Nov 8, 2018.

1. danfratamico

danfratamico Member

On my Windows 10 guest, if I perform the following, I am getting a critical disk error message (attached) and my VM is forced to close:

1. With no previous snapshots, create a snapshot of Windows 10 with the VM powered on.
    2. Revert to the previously created snapshot and wait a few minutes.
    3. Delete the snapshot, and this is when I get the disk error.

[​IMG]

2. Arun@Parallels

Arun@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi @danfratamico , we are unable to view the image file. Please post the image once again.

3. danfratamico

danfratamico Member

Image is attached

Attached Files:

4. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

Are you able to use Windows again after you have got this error?

5. diamondsoftware

diamondsoftware Bit poster

Hi From Belgium,
    I've same problem when trying to free space of virtual machine (Windows) It appear on 2 laptops (Macbook12 and MacBookPro15) , the free space process never finish , and after 1H oblige to kill the task, freeze the Macbook and after restart, can't access anymore to the virtual machine (same alert window thant danfratamico)
    It seems that it destroys the Mac HD system!!!!
    I WAS OBLIGE TO RESTORE THE MABOOK FROM A CLONE BACKUP!!!!!! and now I've actually same problem with MAcbookPro15!!!! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
    I suggest that the problem appear with the last parallels upgrade!
    S.

6. AlesK1

AlesK1 Bit poster

After upgrading Paralles I have the same problem.

How to downgrade Parallels?
    BR
    ALes

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2019
  7. diamondsoftware

diamondsoftware Bit poster

Dear Maria@Parallels,
    thanks for your link, but it's not a windows problem, it 's a parallels problem. And since now no news about Parallels. We still can't remains space of our virtual machines... :( :(

8. Ok, got you.
    Could you please confirm the following:
    - Which version of Parallels Desktop are you using (it was the latest right?)
    - You used the Parallels Desktop "free space" option?
    - then the "free space" process hangs and Mac hangs?
    Please correct me if I'm wrong.

9. Also, just for getting more info about the issue and for the further investigation, could you please reproduce the issue and generate the problem report right after that.
    Plz, check this KB article for more info about the Problem report

10. CarlosR10

CarlosR10 Bit poster

I have exactly the same problem. Now, my Windows is not starting and hangs forever in the starting Repair screen. I hope my data is not lost, is hard programming work, and I wonder how many working hours I will be lost recovering my data. This is a machine of my job, and we pay licenses for many Parallels software. Please help me, is very urgent. Thanks.

11. L-Dog

L-Dog Member

I wonder if this happened while the VM is running? I learned the hard way that snapshots are linked to your current running state. If you try to delete a snapshot while running the OS, it might screw things up.

Parallels team: Please throw up a warning prompt like "deleting a snapshot while running the VM is not recommended. Please shut down the VM and try again". Or better yet, disable the ability to delete a snapshot while the VM is running.

CarlosR10 likes this.
  12. CarlosR10

CarlosR10 Bit poster

Yes, sure. The most basic common sense tells us that software must warn us about do things that can screw up things.
    Parallel must tell us honestly that snapshots are not trustworthy, and the unique real security mechanism are full backups.
    By the way, I am not tried to use a full copy of any VM, therefore I am not sure that full backup is trustworthy indeed. I only suppose that full backup works as a security measure. But I am very sure that snapshots are not a trustworthy security mechanism, I tried it and fails again and again.