Problem with Smart Guard / Snapshots

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by JakePratt, Nov 5, 2018.

1. JakePratt

JakePratt Junior Member

Ever since I updated to Parallels 14, I have consistently not been able to run Smart Guard. Each time Parallels runs a snapshot, Windows 10 will appear to lose access to the disk. This will sometimes freeze the OS, sometimes it will stay responsive for a few minutes but each time, I must reboot in order to gain access to the OS again. Is this a known issue?

2. Arun@Parallels

Arun@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi @JakePratt , please perform first aid on your mac, reboot your mac and check if that helps.

3. JakePratt

JakePratt Junior Member

I have performed First Aid, reformatted the Mac and even swapped to a new Mac. Also, I have created a new VM from scratch. My assumption is that some combination of features I use causes the problem. For example, I have two Hard Disks mounted (C: & D:) vs a Single Image?

4. Arun@Parallels

Hi @JakePratt , is it happening only when you have 2 hard disks connected?

5. JakePratt

JakePratt Junior Member

Not sure since I always have 2 HD's connected. My setup keeps my data on a D: drive so it can be connected to multiple VM's. I suppose I could migrate the data to the C: Drive to test out. Is this a likely cause? Is this an unusual use case? Any diagnostics I can do?

6. JakePratt

JakePratt Junior Member

So after migrating from 2 drives to a single drive, the snapshot problem appears gone. It has completed 2 daily and 1 weekly snapshot without freezing. It DOES appear to be a problem with my 2 drive setup. Is this a bug that can be looked at? I would like to go back to my preferred setup AND use smart guard.

7. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

Is it a second virtual hard disk or external drive? Will you be able to recreate the scenario?

8. JakePratt

JakePratt Junior Member

It's two virtual drives. I basically keep one Virtual Drive with the OS and one with my Data on it.
    I could probably re-create it if I went back to multiple drives.

9. Arun@Parallels

Hi @JakePratt , please try Actions > Reinstall Parallels tools and check if that works.