Slow Windows startup with Parallels 14

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by EdA4, Oct 6, 2018.

1. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi @ArtistW, did you try Windows clean boot?

2. PaulChristopher@Parallels

Hi @BeeMb, we appreciate the time and effort that you have invested in to try fixing the issue. We would request you to create a new User profile to check if that takes a normal disk usage.

3. BeeMb

BeeMb Bit poster

I presume you propose a new windows user profile, not a Mac profile ?

4. PaulChristopher@Parallels

Hi @BeeMb, yes! You are absolutely correct! Please create it and let us know the if that works.

5. ArtistW

ArtistW Member

Hello PaulChris,
    I did the following after your instruction:
    1. Take a snapshot (Actions > Take a snapshot)
    2. Open Windows menu and search for Command Prompt. Once located, right click it > Run as Administrator.
    3. Execute the following commands one by one
    chkdsk C: /f /r
    sfc /scannow
    The first one will require Windows restart, so please restart it, wait for disk check to complete and perform the second command
    Please make a screenshot of the output an provide it in answering e-mail
    4. After the described actions are performed, please also execute the following commands in Command Prompt (Run as Administrator) one by one
    DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
    DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
    DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
    5. Please restart afterwards and check if the issue persists.
    AND THIS:
    1. Take a snapshot in working Windows (Actions > Take a snapshot)
    2. Perform a clean boot in Windows as described in Microsoft article https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows
    Make sure to keep Parallels services enabled It was performed as one of the first troubleshooting steps when you contacted Parallels Support, but since currently this is a restored VM, we need to perform it once again
    3. Take a technical report after Windows starts (immediately after that) or when you are on login screen in Windows (Help > Send technical data) and reply to us with approximate time of start and 9-digit ID of the report
    4. Check the following general article from Microsoft on speeding up Windows https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15055/windows-7-optimize-windows-better-performance
    5. Clean older updates (and the C: drive itself) as described in https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/clean-winsxs-folder-to-save-space
    Once performing all the steps described above please check the startup time of Windows once again and collect a fresh report after Windows starts (or from Windows login screen).
    BUT NO ERRORS WERE REPORTED

Once again the note:
    I copy the Windows.pvm file from my FusionDrive (start about 7 minutes !!! and all programs start slowly and are slow in the execution) but Windows will start on an external SSD in about 20 seconds.
    There seems to be no problem with the Windows installation but a problem with the compatibility with the FusionDrive or the internal hard disk.

6. BeeMb

BeeMb Bit poster

My problem started the day I installed V14 on my MacBook Air. After many weeks looking for a solution and a totally unresponsive virtual machine, i bought a new MacBook Pro. Now it runs perfectly. Conclusion : keep away from V14 if you are using older hardware.

7. Е
    Thanks for your help and also you and other customers can recheck the system requirements for Parallels Desktop 14 here https://kb.parallels.com/124223

8. ArtistW

ArtistW Member

But I have these issues with a relatively new 2015 iMac, 3.1Ghz, Intel Core i5...

9. I've check this case, now Parallels Engineering team are working on the resolution. We will be very appreciate your time and cooperation once they requests some additional info. Thanks in advance.

10. ArtistW

ArtistW Member

Hello, unfortunately no improvement with version 14.1.1.

11. @ArtistW please check the same issue with new update 14.1.2 and provide us with the results.

12. ArtistW

ArtistW Member

Hello Maria,
    no improvement with Update 14.1.2
    ReportID 298725651: slow start 5.40 minutes from Fusion Drive and all programs Windows and Mac slow, Windows updates partly over 10 minutes
    ReportID 298765976: fast start 22 seconds same system of external SSD, everything perfect, Windows updates 20 seconds

13. Thanks a lot for your cooperation! I've provided Parallels Engineering team with this info. Once We get any updates we will let you know. Thank you once again.

14. KevinW18

KevinW18 Bit poster

I am having the same issue with V14. Windows 10 is taking over 20 minutes to load to login and another 10 before it can be used. Everything on my MacBook Pro is slow to respond when parallels is running. I have deleted it and reinstalled it twice as I have always done with windows. This is ridiculous. Version 13 was fine.

15. Hi, please provide us with the problem report. And please generate it right after the issue reoccurs.

16. KevinW18

KevinW18 Bit poster

I have generated a problem report number 301471687 this afternoon. I restarted my macbook, started parallels which took 3 or 4 minutes and then started Windows 10 which took 20 minutes from pressing start to the user login screen. Everything on my machine is slower since v14 was installed. What can i do with this? it is causing me great issues trying to work.

17. Thanks a lot for the report @KevinW18 I've forwarded your info to the Development team.
    Once I get any updates or possible workaround, I'll let you know immediately.
    Thank you for your cooperation.

18. mos11dbo

mos11dbo Junior Member

Hi....I just want to add my experience here. I have all of the same problems with loading times for Windows, and everything I do within Windows after it is loaded is extremely slow. I have done many of the proposed solutions, and they have not ultimately solved the problems. In short, Windows is simply unusable on my Mac. I will not be renewing my subscription to Parallels if nothing changes.

19. GraceS2

GraceS2 Bit poster

I rue my decision to upgrade to 14, also! Same slow issues others have mentioned. My times are much longer, though. A good 20 minutes before I can even get a File Explorer window to appear! As with others, I'm hoping for a solution, soon!

20. DouglasM5

DouglasM5 Bit poster

I have the same problem, a good average for a startup of Windows 10 is 12-15 minutes since my upgrade to Parallels 14.1.2 I updated Windows 10 with the latest update, 1809. I have tried everything listed on the two pages of this discussion. I sent information on technical report 302508452

Extremely slow start up. for Windows 10 on Paralles 14.1.2. The last one took over 12 minutes.
    I'm using Mojave 10.14.3 on a MacBook Pro (13 inch mid 2012) with a 2.5 GHz Intel i5 with 16GB 1067 MHz of DDR3 RAM.