Issue with French azerty MacBook Pro (with touchbar)

Discussion in 'Parallels Client for Mac' started by RenaudT1, Jun 29, 2018.

1. RenaudT1

RenaudT1 Bit poster

Hello,

I use Parallels Client for Mac for standard RDP connections to Windows servers. It works almost perfectly but I have some issues with my french azerty macbook keyboard.

I can't do curly braces, brackets, pipes, ... These characters are inputed with a key combination which include Option (Alt).
    For example, curly braces "{}" are typed with Alt+5 and Alt+) on a French azerty macbook.
    For brackets "[]", it's Alt+Shift+5 and Alt+Shift+).
    For pipe "|", it's Alt+Shift+L.
    For anti slash "\", it's Alt+Shift+/.

All theses combinations don't work on Windows with Parallels Client.

Can you tell me if it's a bug or if there is a workaround ?

Thanks in advance for your time.

Regards,

Renaud Thoraval

Parallels Client for Mac 16.2.3
    MacOS High Sierra 10.13.5
    Remote connections on Windows Server 2016 and 2012

2. jpc

jpc Pro

@RenaudT1
    From your description, it looks like the MacBook keyboard's keys are not all mapped to their Windows equivalents.

Until this issue is fixed, the only workaround I can suggest is to press Ctrl + Alt + one of the Window's equivalents as shown below (for reference, I have overlayed the top row of the normal macOS azerty keyboard).

upload_2018-7-4_12-2-21.png

3. RenaudT1

RenaudT1 Bit poster

Thank you for your answer. I've found this workaround while trying all possible combinations in a remote session. It works but since it's not the same shortcut as under Mac OS, I regularly mistype some characters :( It's not as convenient as having exactly the same keyboard layout everywhere...
    I'll wait and hope that Parallels Client will be fixed and supports French azerty MacBook Pro keyboard layout :) (Unfortunately, I think I will never see it :D )

Anyway, thank you for your time !

Regard,

Renaud

4. MarcelZ

MarcelZ Bit poster

Same Problem here on a 2015 MBP with Parallels Client Version 16.5.3 and German Layout.

The Button "AltGr" is not mapped to the Client System (Windows 2016) as expected. I'd expect the right "ALT" Key mapped to "AltGr"...

The only possibility to type in a Pipe Character is a combination of "CTRL, ALT + ^". Characters like <> also won't work as expected. Sadly this fact makes the use for a C# Programmer almost impossible.

5. jpc

jpc Pro

6. MarcelZ

MarcelZ Bit poster

Hi,

Keyboard Mapping has still issues. What I expect is behaviour like in Parallels Desktop for MAC. For comparison I made 2 Screenshots with Identical scenarios.

One Screenshot showing the Keyboard behaviour in Paralles Desktop using a notepad window and German layout on a Server 2012 R2 System.
    Other Screenshot showing the Keyboard behaviour in Parallels Client using a notepad window and German layout on an other Server 2012 R2 System.

regards,
    marcel

Parallels Client 16.5.3.png Parallels Desktop 14.1.3.png

7. MarcelZ

MarcelZ Bit poster

Any Update to this?
    @jpc Can you confirm the bug?

8. jpc

jpc Pro

@MarcelZ From the screenshot, I can see that the remote server is using the German keyboard layout.
    Do you have the same keyboard layout setup on your mac?

In order to provide a native-like experience, the mac client follows the native mac keyboard layout during an RDP session. This means that you should use the mac's keyboard layout not the windows' keyboard layout on the remote session. For example, on the German Apple keyboard: "{" = Alt + 8, "}" = Alt + 9., "[" = Alt + 5, "]" = Alt + 6

Also, to get the best experience ensure that the server and client side keyboard layouts match.

9. DavidL51

DavidL51 Bit poster

HI
    have you found a solution for this character problem?

10. BenjaminM6

BenjaminM6 Bit poster

This issue is still a problem for Japanese keyboard layouts, which Parallels Client continues to identify as US no matter what is selected.