display/mouse/ Parallel Tools issue after latest Ubuntu 16.04 upgrade

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by Parallels User, Mar 18, 2019.

1. Mac: 10.11.6
    Parallels: 14.1.3

This morning I installed the latest Ubuntu update. After reboot the Ubuntu desktop reverted to low resolution. I was able to fix this by changing the screen resolution. Also the mouse cursor was not displayed, however if I switch to the MAC screen and then back to Ubuntu, the cursor did show, but disappeared after a mouse click. It did select the item that I was pointing at though.
    I attempted to reinstall Parallel tools, but it aborted saying it could not build a kernel module. Excerpt from install log below.

make[3]: *** [/usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg/prltg_call.o] Error 1
    make[2]: *** [_module_/usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg] Error 2
    make[1]: *** [prl_tg] Error 2
    make: *** [compile] Error 2
    Error: could not build kernel modules
    Error during report about failed installation of parallels tools.
    Error: failed to install Parallels Guest Tools!
    2019-03-18T09:25:32-0400: execCmd: ./install --install [167]
    2019-03-18T09:25:32-0400: Error: An error occurred when installing Parallels Tools. Please go to /var/log/parallels-tools-install.log for more information.
    2019-03-18T09:25:42-0400: Exiting with code 1

Any help is appreciated
    Mark

WojciechC likes this.
  2. chienpo

chienpo Bit poster

I am betting/guessing that this is related to my problem:

I also updated my Ubuntu 16.04 VM today (
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -y) . After then (re-)booting my VM my shared host-OS folders weren't available.

I went and upgraded Parallels Desktop (Business Edition) to the latest version as of today (
    2019-03-18, Monday) so that I'm now running version 14.1.2 (45479). I manually re-mounted the Parallels Tools ISO image provided (prl-tools-lin.iso) just to be sure I wouldn't have an older version mounted (and have confirmed that the "version" file in it is 14.1.2.45479. I then booted my VM back up, mounted the CD drive, became root, ran the "uninstall" command first just to be really sure I could start fresh, and then manually ran the parallels tool installation script.

$ sudo su
    # mount /dev/cdrom /media/cdrom
    # cat version
    # ./install --verbose --remove

Mon Mar 18 13:29:24 MDT 2019
    Start removal of Guest Tools
    new version of parallels tools
    Installed Guest Tools were not found
    Error: failed to remove Parallels Guest Tools!
    dpkg-query: package 'xserver-xorg' is not installed and no information is available
    Use dpkg --info (= dpkg-deb --info) to examine archive files,
    and dpkg --contents (= dpkg-deb --contents) to list their contents.
    /usr/sbin/dpkg-reconfigure: xserver-xorg is not installed

# ./install --verbose --install
    (output in attached text/log file)

It failed w/the error in the attached text/log file, but in summary, like the original poster, it failed while trying to compile the prl_tg kernel module, specifically when expanding the prl_get_user_pages macro to the call to get_user_pages, it is now providing too many arguments: get_user_pages(current, current->mm, _1, _2, _3, 0, _4, _5)

My Parallels version is already listed above.
    My OS version:
    Linux devm 4.4.0-143-generic #169-Ubuntu SMP Thu Feb 7 07:56:38 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    $ cat /etc/lsb-release
    DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
    DISTRIB_RELEASE=16.04
    DISTRIB_CODENAME=xenial
    DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 16.04.6 LTS"

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
    WojciechC likes this.
  3. zach5

zach5 Bit poster

I had this same problem but managed to get everything working again by reinstalling Parallels Tools, which required a couple changes to get it to compile and install successfully.

Actions -> Reinstall Parallels Tools

Copy contents to desktop, make executable, and extract kmods dir

cp -R /media/parallels/Parallels\ Tools/ ~/Desktop/ParallelsTools/
    chmod -R 777 ~/Desktop/ParallelsTools/
    tar -xzf ~/Desktop/ParallelsTools/kmods/prl_mod.tar.gz -C ~/Desktop/ParallelsTools/kmods/

open up file ~/Desktop/ParallelsTools/installer/install-cli.sh
    comment out line 338
    #tar -xzf "$INSTALL_DIR_KMODS/prl_mod.tar.gz" -C "$INSTALL_DIR_KMODS"
    add this line instead
    cp -Rf "$KMODS_DIR" "$INSTALL_DIR_KMODS"

open file ~/Desktop/ParallelsTools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg/prltg_compat.h
    change line 193
    get_user_pages(current, current->mm, _1, _2, _3, 0, _4, _5)
    to this
    get_user_pages(current, current->mm, _1, _2, _3, _4, _5)

cd ~/Desktop/ParallelsTools
    sudo ./install

Hope this helps

Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
    O_B, AndreaZ2 and RichM3 like this.
  4. AndreaZ2

AndreaZ2 Bit poster

Thank you zach5,
    your procedure worked perfectly fixing the problem in subject.

5. O_B

O_B Bit poster

First - zach5. THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU.
    This sounds like a horrible Parallels bug. Everything you perfectly suggested could be programmatically resolved by Parallels, it would seem.
    I also tried this: https://kb.parallels.com/124546 .
    Keyboard and mouse do not work in a Parallels Access remote session after upgrade to macOS 10.14

6. jchapman9

jchapman9 Member

More thanks to zach5 for this fix. It's now towards the end of June and problem still not fixed in latest Parallels release.

7. FabioF4

FabioF4 Bit poster

Sadly parallel tools are true garbage, if you install on a recent distro like ubuntu 20.10 or 21.04 your display resolution get completely screwed and only 1024x768 and 800x600 are available, this bug is annoying till at least two years and no fix were provided.

I've tried to uninstall them and all started to work properly at this point the question is what they are useful for?