Ubuntu 16.04 Update Mouse Cursor Hidden

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by MarkG3, Mar 18, 2019.

1. MarkG3

MarkG3 Bit poster

I just did the latest Ubuntu 16.04 update. Now - the mouse cursor goes hidden when I click on any item and stays hidden until reboot. I am running Parallels Desktop 14.1.2 on a Macbook Pro 2018. Any suggestions?

2. MarkG3

MarkG3 Bit poster

Same problem exists on 18.04...

WojciechC likes this.
  3. WojciechC

WojciechC Bit poster

Same problem with mouse with my Ubuntu 16.04. Additionally I lost access to host's home directory from guest.

Johannesv2 likes this.
  4. Johannesv2

Johannesv2 Bit poster

Having this issue with 14.1.2 and Ubuntu 16.04. It just started today, not sure if Ubuntu or Parallels updated. Have tried a few reboots and video.hw_pointer=0 boot flag. Reinstalling Parallels tools also fails. Host's home is missing for me too.

5. islaeh

islaeh Bit poster

Same issue here on Ubuntu 16.04 with Parallels 14.1.3.
    I have nevertheless a (awful) workaround that allows *minimal* interaction with the system (and a hidden mouse cursor): Press Ctrl+Option to release mouse from Parallels into MacOS, then move the mouse to the desired location. You can then clock and have the (invisible) mouse directly over the desired location. Use next click to execute mouse click in the virtual machine. Not a sustainable solution, but better than nothing....

6. SebastianM2

SebastianM2 Bit poster

The problem seems to be that the kernel module provided by the Parallel Tools is not compatible with newer versions of the Linux kernel yet. Therefore, the DKMS triggered build fails with an error (the arguments to the get_user_pages function seem to have changed).

Until Parallels releases an updated version of the Parallels Tools that is compatible with the new kernel, the only way to fix this problem is staying on the old kernel version (4.4.0-142 still works). The other packages can be updated without any problems.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
  7. OliverM2

OliverM2 Bit poster

Same issue here with 16.04 LTS and P 14.1.3. Has someone reported the problem to Parallels?

8. CarlS2

CarlS2 Bit poster

Same with Ubuntu 14.04... is this ever getting fixed?

9. Zeesy

Zeesy Bit poster

Still having this issue August 2019 running Ubuntu 18.04 on MacOS Mojave 10.14.5. Had had similar issues running 18.04 on VirtualBox. Attempted solution through Gnome proposed on Ask Ubuntu but it was ineffective. Was hoping Parallels would have been on top of this. I'm currently running the free trial and won't invest in the software if I can't get something as basic as the cursor to work.

10. viola

viola Hunter

Same here. It works on the initial install of Ubuntu 18.04 and then as soon as you run an update BOOM missing cursor and Parallels Tools fails to install. I am so pissed of with Parallels right now for abandoning us.

11. LiewZ

LiewZ Bit poster

Same problem with buddy above. Ubuntu 1804.02 after software update, mouse cursor disappeared.

12. Zeesy

Zeesy Bit poster

I was given these instructions by customer support: https://kb.parallels.com/113394
    It's a command-line method that was not able to successfully install after multiple attempts. For Step 2, I had no "Default" option for either of my 2 virtual CD/DVD drives, only "Disconnect". Still no success after disconnecting drive 1.
    Screen Shot 2019-08-04 at 2.36.28 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-08-04 at 2.36.32 PM.png

13. Zeesy

Zeesy Bit poster

I heard back from customer support, and their brief response is:
    "Ubuntu Linux kernel version 5.0.0-23-generic is not supported in Parallels Desktop for Mac."

Which I guess is our answer.

14. Norain

Norain Bit poster

Here is the best way I found to manage this issue:
    1- As mentioned above the issue is because of the latest Kernel.
    2- Restart Ubuntu and run Grub as follows, restart then click in the window to select it and press shift to boot in the grub menu.
    3- select advanced and then choose to boot using an older kernel.

15. Zeesy

Zeesy Bit poster

What do you mean by "run Grub as follows"? I haven't been able to boot Grub by pressing Shift or Esc at startup - it goes directly to Ubuntu.

16. viola

viola Hunter

It looks like this might work:
    https://forums.parallels.com/threads/kernel-5-0-3.346841/
    From @(GalaxyMaster):
    The only module that is failing with the latest Parallels Tools (14.1.3) is prl_fs and the fix is trivial:
    Code:
    diff -puNr parallels.orig/prl_fs/SharedFolders/Guest/Linux/prl_fs/super.c parallels/prl_fs/SharedFolders/Guest/Linux/prl_fs/super.c
    --- parallels.orig/prl_fs/SharedFolders/Guest/Linux/prl_fs/super.c    2018-09-07 13:15:08.000000000 +0000
    +++ parallels/prl_fs/SharedFolders/Guest/Linux/prl_fs/super.c    2019-04-02 06:45:15.675125322 +0000
    @@ -116,11 +116,11 @@ static int prlfs_remount(struct super_bl
     {
         int ret = 0;
         DPRINTK("ENTER\n");
    -    if ( (!((*flags) & MS_RDONLY) && PRLFS_SB(sb)->readonly) ||
    -           ((*flags) & MS_MANDLOCK) )
    +    if ( (!((*flags) & SB_RDONLY) && PRLFS_SB(sb)->readonly) ||
    +           ((*flags) & SB_MANDLOCK) )
                 ret = -EINVAL;

-    *flags |= MS_SYNCHRONOUS; /* silently don't drop sync flag */
    +    *flags |= SB_SYNCHRONOUS; /* silently don't drop sync flag */
         DPRINTK("EXIT returning %d\n", ret);
         return ret;
     }
    @@ -270,7 +270,7 @@ static int prlfs_fill_super(struct super
         sb->s_maxbytes = MAX_LFS_FILESIZE;
         sb->s_blocksize = PAGE_SIZE;
         sb->s_blocksize_bits = PAGE_SHIFT;
    -    sb->s_flags |= MS_NOATIME | MS_SYNCHRONOUS;
    +    sb->s_flags |= SB_NOATIME | SB_SYNCHRONOUS;
         sb->s_magic = PRLFS_MAGIC;
         sb->s_op = &prlfs_super_ops;
         PRLFS_ALLOC_SB_INFO(sb);

Steps:

17. viola

viola Hunter

Zeesy likes this.
  18. warnergt

warnergt Member

Same problem here. Cursor lost with Ubuntu 16.04 update. This is bad.

19. MarkG3

MarkG3 Bit poster

Does anyone know if Parallels 15 solves this problem (after 5 month)?

viola likes this.
  20. Zeesy

Zeesy Bit poster

I just upgraded to test, and unfortunately in 15 I'm not even able to install Parallels Tools through the menu or command line...