Ubuntu 16.04 Update Mouse Cursor Hidden

Discussion in 'Linux Guest OS Discussion' started by MarkG3, Mar 18, 2019.

1. MarkG3

MarkG3 Bit Poster

I just did the latest Ubuntu 16.04 update. Now - the mouse cursor goes hidden when I click on any item and stays hidden until reboot. I am running Parallels Desktop 14.1.2 on a Macbook Pro 2018. Any suggestions?

Johannesv2 and WojciechC like this.
  2. MarkG3

MarkG3 Bit Poster

Same problem exists on 18.04...

WojciechC likes this.
  3. WojciechC

WojciechC Bit Poster

Same problem with mouse with my Ubuntu 16.04. Additionally I lost access to host's home directory from guest.

Johannesv2 likes this.
  4. Johannesv2

Johannesv2

Having this issue with 14.1.2 and Ubuntu 16.04. It just started today, not sure if Ubuntu or Parallels updated. Have tried a few reboots and video.hw_pointer=0 boot flag. Reinstalling Parallels tools also fails. Host's home is missing for me too.

5. LarsE4

LarsE4

Same issue here on Ubuntu 16.04 with Parallels 14.1.3.
    I have nevertheless a (awful) workaround that allows *minimal* interaction with the system (and a hidden mouse cursor): Press Ctrl+Option to release mouse from Parallels into MacOS, then move the mouse to the desired location. You can then clock and have the (invisible) mouse directly over the desired location. Use next click to execute mouse click in the virtual machine. Not a sustainable solution, but better than nothing....

6. SebastianM2

SebastianM2 Bit Poster

The problem seems to be that the kernel module provided by the Parallel Tools is not compatible with newer versions of the Linux kernel yet. Therefore, the DKMS triggered build fails with an error (the arguments to the get_user_pages function seem to have changed).

Until Parallels releases an updated version of the Parallels Tools that is compatible with the new kernel, the only way to fix this problem is staying on the old kernel version (4.4.0-142 still works). The other packages can be updated without any problems.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
  7. OliverM2

OliverM2 Bit Poster

Same issue here with 16.04 LTS and P 14.1.3. Has someone reported the problem to Parallels?