Ubuntu 16.04 Update Mouse Cursor Hidden

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by MarkG3, Mar 18, 2019.

1. viola

viola Hunter

WTF!!!!! They didn't even fix this in 15?!!?!?

2. Zeesy

Zeesy Bit poster

Support has passed this on to the dev team but there's no timeline on a fix. Will update.

3. MarkG3

MarkG3 Bit poster

Zeesy -
    Were you not able to install Tools due to a missing cursor? IE - do we really know the problem is not fixed?
    I asked support if 15 fixed it and they pointed me to the standard release notes page at https://kb.parallels.com/124724.
    It says
    "Enhanced compatibility with new Linux distributions due to Virtio GPU that supports sliding mouse (when Parallels Desktop captures the guest OS mouse cursor), dynamic resolution (when the screen resolution changes dynamically if you resize the virtual machine window) and multimonitor support--even without Parallels Tools."

Just wondering before I go ahead and try it and have to backtrack...

4. Zeesy

Zeesy Bit poster

Just reinstalled Parallels Tools and everything seems to be working fine now! Not sure what changed between now and 15 minutes ago, but it seems fine at Parallels 15, Ubuntu 18.04, Mac Mojave 10.14.6

5. MarkG3

MarkG3 Bit poster

Parallels 15 fixed it for me as well!

Ubuntu 16.04 Kernel 4.4.0-159
    Ubuntu 18.04. Kernel 5.0.0-25

viola likes this.
  6. OliverM2

OliverM2 Bit poster

Quite the same-changed from 16.04 to 18.04 with a clean iinstallation of 18.04. Everything worked fine till I decided to run an update.
    Boom no mouse pointer anymore.
    Heard now it should be running with P 15?? But where is the Fix for P14?? I dont want to buy the new Version only becauseof this. When I bought P14 the promise was support of Ubuntu 16.04 same as Ubuntu 18.04. I have just payed for this Support with version P 14. So Parallels had to fix it for the older Version of product too!!!

7. Cloud Construct

Cloud Construct Bit poster

I'm on Ubuntu 16.04 kernel 4.4.0-159 and cannot get the tools to install.
    Great way to get you to upgrade isn't it?

8. iSAWaUFO

iSAWaUFO Junior Member

I've been having this problem with Ubuntu 16.04.6 LTS kernel 4.4.0-31
    The problem seems to coincide with Firefox doing a forced update from version 70.0.x to 71.0.x
    Firefox says it must restart, and then the cursor starts going invisible (maybe after the next reboot).
    I revert to a snapshot with Firefox 70.0 and it works again, until Firefox updates itself.

9. warnergt

warnergt Member

The problem isn't Firefox. The problem is the Ubuntu kernel which became incompatible with Parallels 14.
    Sorry to say that the solution is to update to Parallels 15.

10. iSAWaUFO

iSAWaUFO Junior Member

I can now confirm it is not the Firefox update that causes the problem. While at kernel version '4.4.0-31-generic #50-Ubuntu SMP' I did a manual update of Firefox (now 72.0), rebooted and the cursor was still visible. If I let Ubuntu 16.04.6 LTS do an automatic update, it will update to kernel version '4.4.0-171-generic #200-Ubuntu SMP' along with about 112 packages, and the cursor visibility (along with Parallels Tools, in general) stops working. I've uploaded package listings, working and non-working, and a difference report.
    If the problem due to the Kernel version, then '4.4.0-171-generic #200-Ubuntu SMP' is also broken.

Attached Files:

11. Rajs2

Rajs2 Bit poster

same problem faced and it really disappoints me. Still wondering for solution