Boot camp and parallels - Win7 dual licence needed?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by bfindlay, Jan 19, 2018.

1. bfindlay

bfindlay Member

Been a few years, but I have recently sold my windows laptop and bought a MacBook. I have been a parallels user for over a decade, and intend to install boot camp, windows 7 (hate beyond words the windows 10 experience) and would like to run parallels as well. I only have a 256G SSD, so space is an issue. I have a single licence windows 7 install disk. My question is this:

If I install win7 under bootcamp, and then use that as the source for a virtual machine, has parallels gotten smart enough to bypass windows device change security? Before I caved and bought an actual windows laptop, I would run into windows security every time I switched from VM to Bootcamp or vice versa. A huge hassle. Supposedly you could do this then, (according to parallels documentation), but in reality windows always complained, then I had to jump through hoops trying to authenticate my install EVERY SINGLE SWITCH. Not useable

This was a few versions back. Just wondering what the options are looking like going forward...

Thoughts?

My machine is a 2015 MacBook Pro, intel iris graphics, 256G SSD

2. Hi bfindlay. If you try to set up a virtual machine using BootCamp partition, Windows operating system detects the hardware change and presumes it to be installed on a different machine. In such cases, you may encounter Windows activation issues. Please refer this article to activate the Windows virtual machine as well as the BootCamp partition.

3. DenizC

DenizC Junior Member

Sorry for resurrecting.. Two questions:
    1. If I delete and recreate bootcamp partition, do I need a new licence?
    2. I activated another Parallels with same system on same machine.. Can I reuse that machine's license?