Can't install Parallels Tools since upgrade to version 15

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by GeneC4, Dec 5, 2019.

1. GeneC4

GeneC4 Bit poster

I recently upgraded Parallels Desktop from version 14 to version 15. After launching my Windows 10 VM, I ran the Parallels Tools installer. That just gave me a black screen. After waiting for some time, I force-stopped the VM. But then the VM wouldn't boot anymore as it couldn't find the hard drive. I did a bunch of troubleshooting and finally got Windows to boot again (it seems like the tip I found to run Onyx on the Mac was what fixed it) and tried to install Parallels Tools again, but same problem. Finally, I downgraded back to Parallels version 14 and ran the version 14 Tools installer, and my VM is now working.

I am hesitant to try version 15 again since I wasted about a day on all this troubleshooting.

Has anyone else had troubles with the version 15 Tools installation? Any fixes?

Thanks

2. Julian1

Julian1 Junior Member

Here, Parallels Desktop 15 "home" on Mojave the parallels tools installer starts, goes up to 60% and then falls back to 27% where it remains and nothing happens anymore.

3. Julian1

Julian1 Junior Member

Faster some trying it worked - I stped the installation agent which popped up automatically and restarted windows. The agent did not pup up again and I selected "Install Paralles von menu". It did not start at once but it mounted the external parallles drive which I then double click. The installation then worked and the machine appears to work again.

4. Hi, do you still have an issue with Parallels Tools installation?