Mac crashing when using Parallels

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by MichaelL42, Oct 16, 2018.

1. AndrewJ7

AndrewJ7 Member

This is still going on, even with a new iMac and an upgrade to v15. I can reproduce it every time: start Parallels Desktop and wait a variable amount of time, eventually it will happen. I can't create a report as the Mac is not responsive. I don't even have to have a VM running, just the Parallels Desktop app - eventually it will cause something to stop the UI responding to events leaving me with a spinning beach ball and no option but to hard power cycle.

RyanJ2 and AlexanderM9 like this.
  2. RyanJ2

RyanJ2 Bit poster

To MBP in our office running Catalina (although this happened on Mojave) experiencing the freeze and crash when upgrading to 15 and 15.1. Both running Windows 10 VM.

3. Hi, is it possible to collect the tech report right after that crash and post report's id here?

4. RyanJ2

RyanJ2 Bit poster

There is nothing to capture as the crash report is empty. We have tried to upgrade to each release of 15 and are still experience the issue. We have downgraded to 14 and we do not have the issue. Both using external GPUs in coherence mode.

5. RyanJ2

RyanJ2 Bit poster

Does this help?
    {"files_to_attach":["\/Library\/Logs\/DiagnosticReports\/ProxiedDevice-Bridge\/panic-full-2019-10-25-145849.9952.ips"],"log_path":"\/Library\/Logs\/DiagnosticReports\/ProxiedDevice-Bridge\/panic-full-2019-10-25-145849.9952.ips","panic_string":"BAD MAGIC! (flag set in iBoot panic header), no macOS panic log available"}

6. RyanJ2

RyanJ2 Bit poster

Any ideas?

7. RyanJ2

RyanJ2 Bit poster

Bueller, Bueller, Bueller

8. Please try to collect the report from Terminal:
    1. Run the command:
      prlsrvctl problem-report --send
    2. Wait for the technical report to be generated and send. After a successful report submission you will see this message in Terminal: The problem report was successfully sent with id: 123546569
    3. Save the 9-digit Problem Report ID and post it here

9. EL-DERJANI

EL-DERJANI Bit poster

Same problem here. I'm fighting with it since this morning to make it work.
    ID : 327109907

Does anyone can help please. I can't work because of this...

10. Hi, are you installing Parallels Toolbox into the Parallels VM?

11. StevenB14

StevenB14 Bit poster

Anyone have a resolution from Parallels on this? I have been fighting this one for a while now. Currently been running 16" 2019 2.4Ghz i9 32GB Ram OS X 10.15.3. USB-C external display is connected 70% of my day. Have multiple other computers with the same issue. Contemplating just going back to VMWare Fusion until we can get an answer.

Computer locks up on a daily basis, starts with mouse and keyboard not responding for 5 seconds or so, comes back for 2 seconds than completely locks up. I can see video in the background moving and clock changing, but no mouse or keyboard movement. Hard reboot fixes the issues.

The problem report was successfully sent with id: 332866448

12. AndrewJ7

AndrewJ7 Member

In my case, I tracked it down to the Arduino plug in that is installed when you want to do development on the IDE. In V14, it was terrible and caused issues all the time - only with Parallels, nothing else. In V15 initial release, it was still a problem but a point release of Parallels improved matters significantly. Turning off the plug in cured the issue and now I would either (a) do Arduino dev in Windows VM; or (b) turn off parallels completely and do it in OSX. I can't recall how I tracked it down to the plugin but it wasn't anything technical. I might have kept Activity Monitor opened, sorted with Parallels processes on display or just thought about what might be in use between a Windows VM and OSX and the plug in was all I had really. I didn't need to be doing anything with Arduino for the problem to occur: it was the plug in always running in the background conflicting with Parallels - I think the latter has a bug that caused a race condition that struck eventually.