egpu doesn't work with Parallels Desktop 15

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Felix8, Oct 15, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Felix8

Felix8 Bit poster

My device is Macbook Pro 13 2018(with Catalina) and my egpu is a Vega56. I've followed the instructions here https://kb.parallels.com/124266.
    As it says in the instruction, I enable the option 'Prefer External GPU' and then restart the Parallels Desktop. However, when I run some benchmarks or play games, the performance is rather poor. And as I can see in my iStat monitor, the egpu is not working at all. So I wanna know where the problem is.

2. Hi, please upgrade to the latest build 15.1.0 and check the issue.
    Please provide us with any results.

3. WilliamD10

WilliamD10 Bit poster

Hello,
    Am very interested to understand if the above works. Can you pls provide feedback?
    Many thanks

Maria@Parallels likes this.
  4. >>> Message has been deleted by the user <<<

5. DamienB2

DamienB2 Member

Is there an update on this? I am about to buy an eGPU set up with the expectation it will boost my workstation performance. Coming across this post has now given me cause for concern. I am running 15.1.2. Do Parallels support the use of eGPU's as suggested here https://kb.parallels.com/124266 or not?

6. Dirk8

Dirk8 Bit poster

Hoi there, just to let you know: I'm running parallels 15.1.2 on a Macbook Pro 2016 (Catalina) with eGPU Radeon RX 5700, enclosure Sonnet Breakaway 550 (as Apple only supports AMD GPU's). I can run The Witcher 2 and 3 on Ultra settings at a very 60 to 70 FPS (1920x1080). So the eGPU with parallels works really fine. On the contrary, Dragon Age Inquisition can only be played on low settings and even then plays on low FPS, while my eGPU runs like a fool. But this is probably due to the Frostbite 3 engine DA:I uses which is quit demanding.

Harley1 likes this.
  7. SimonP10

SimonP10 Bit poster

Hey there,

As above I can't seem to get my Breakaway Puck Radeon RX 560 to work in Parallels desktop 15. Testing the trial before buying. Anytime i open a game in windows 10 it is terrible and can't see any evidence the eGPU is being used. Seems very glitchy :(

Macbook Pro with Catalina. I chose the option to use my existing bootcamp partition. eGPU works great on the Mac-side.

Help!?!?

Cheers

SP

8. Dirk8

Dirk8 Bit poster

Hoi Simon,

Two things I noticed that causes serious performance issues: display and mouse: use an external display connected to the Breakaway in stead of the internal and use a wired mouse.
    When I play mass effect 3 on my internal display, I experience a tremendous lag and get max 20 fps. Switching to the external display gives me about 60 FPS.
    I'm using the recommended parallels setting (Gaming).

SimonP10 likes this.
  9. SimonP10

SimonP10 Bit poster

Thanks Dirk!
    I have gotten it working better now, good hints.
    SP

10. DanielA20

DanielA20 Bit poster

I cannot get the egpu to be recognized by any of the methods stated in this thread. Any other ideas? I made the app prefer the egpu. Quit and restarted several times and still it used the native i7 gpu.

11. MichaelB86

MichaelB86 Bit poster

I have the same issue, on a mid 2012 MBP, I am running Catalina 10.15.6, and I too have a Radeon RX 560. Works well in native IOS. I'm also using purge wrangler, tried automate EFI but couldn't get it to work. For me in Activity Monitor built in GPU still shows all the load, eGPU nothing.

12. Hello, are you using the latest Parallels Desktop version?

13. MichaelB86

MichaelB86 Bit poster

Version 16.0.0 (48916). In particular when I look at activity monitor, under the GPU tab, parallels & windows 10 always show up under the integrated GPU unless I am in clamshell mode (i.e. screen closed on laptop). Problem with that is my computer then crashes all the time for no apparent reason.